• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Powder compatibility chart?

I have most of the current reloading manuals. Nosler, Barnes, Hornady, Sierra, and Berger. They all pretty much list different powders for the same weight bullet in their own brand. Is there such a thing as a powder compatibility chart and if so where can I find it. If not what do you do?
Just wondering if I could substitute one powder for another, safely.
Thanks,
Frank-

Last edited:
Short answer - NO, that I know of.

You can find powder burn charts that show in order fastest to slowest burn rates.

The computer program Quick Load is about the best thing out there for plug and play reloading. Otherwise it's mostly trial and error referencing published data. .

Short answer - NO, that I know of.

You can find powder burn charts that show in order fastest to slowest burn rates.

The computer program Quick Load is about the best thing out there for plug and play reloading. Otherwise it's mostly trial and error referencing published data. .

Spot on.

I have most of the current reloading manuals. Nosler, Barnes, Hornady, Sierra, and Berger. They all pretty much list different powders for the same weight bullet in their own brand. Is there such a thing as a powder compatibility chart and if so where can I find it. If not what do you do?
Just wondering if I could substitute one powder for another, safely.
Thanks,
Frank-

Follow the manual.

If you decide to make substitutions, please have video running, for the PSGWSP blooper reel.

Burn rate charts are also of questionable use. Depending on who's burn rate chart you use you'll see the same powder appears to be much faster on one than another. Buy Lyman's manual if you want a broad variety of powders / projectiles.

I have Reloading Assistant on my Android phone (and tablet). Looks like there's a version for the iphoney too. At $0.00 it's good (the Android version is, no idea on the other one).

I also have some of the Lyman printed manuals since they also include case dimension details. Good to have for reference for when you need them.

There is no real substitute charge.
What you can do is email the actual powder manufactures.
Not the name on the bottle.
Look on your bottle and see where it was made.
Call the powder brand name and ask who actually manufactures XYZ powders.
For example there is a lot of powder made in Australia for many different powder vendors.
ADI... this chart does not say they are the same powders. Although should get you an idea.
http://www.adi-powders.com.au/handloaders/equivalents.asp

There are a few powders which are the same yet labeled different. Only the manufacture can tell you that.
What I have seen is you need to look at the slight changes.
Varget and 4064 might be darn close in that low to mid range loadings but one may spike in pressure quicker as the charges go up.
If you see that a powder you have is not turning up in load data books 2 things going on.
Either there is not a decent load worth printing with that powder or their is money involved in what and which powder is listed in a manual.
In the end either buy the powder you have data for or call the manufacture both bullet or powder.

There is no real substitute charge.
What you can do is email the actual powder manufactures.
Not the name on the bottle.
Look on your bottle and see where it was made.
Call the powder brand name and ask who actually manufactures XYZ powders.
For example there is a lot of powder made in Australia for many different powder vendors.
ADI... this chart does not say they are the same powders. Although should get you an idea.
http://www.adi-powders.com.au/handloaders/equivalents.asp

There are a few powders which are the same yet labeled different. Only the manufacture can tell you that.
What I have seen is you need to look at the slight changes.
Varget and 4064 might be darn close in that low to mid range loadings but one may spike in pressure quicker as the charges go up.
If you see that a powder you have is not turning up in load data books 2 things going on.
Either there is not a decent load worth printing with that powder or their is money involved in what and which powder is listed in a manual.
In the end either buy the powder you have data for or call the manufacture both bullet or powder.

Great idea! Did that once with Aliant powder and they sent me a list with charges and calibers for RL12.
Thank you.

Thanks for your replies. Please bear with me. I've been out of the reloading thing for a while and just getting back into it. Forgot pretty much everything I knew so you can say I'm fairly new at this!

The main reason I ask is while one book says one powder for lets say Nosler 70 gr 243, another book (Barnes or Hornady) says another powder for their 70gr bullet.

Would it be safe to use the same powder recommended for a Nosler bullet for the same weight and type Hornady bullet?

I have approx 30 one pound jugs of powder and I believe 23 different powders. I'm running out of space!!! I hate for the powder to go bad, although it is a dry cool area.

Thanks,
Frank-

I have a Lee loading manual that's been sitting on the shelf for a while. Picked it up last night and it gave me more powder options. Not what I hoped for but its better than nothing at all.
Thanks for your help guys.

Back
Top Bottom