Potential three day course with Larry Vickers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am working together with Neshooters on bringing Larry Vickers down here for next spring.
Larry's background:
Larry Vickers is a retired career special operations soldier with 20-plus years of service to our country. A longtime 1st SFOD- Delta operational member, he was a key player in the small arms marksmanship expertise and weapons selection of that Unit. He brings a very unique set of skills to the market, and has a wide and varied background in the firearms industry.
I would like to gauge interest to see how many people would like to attend his course. It will be a three day class, probably Level 1 Pistol/Carbine course.
I know it's a fairly long time away, but it would help us tremendously to get a feel for the potential number of people that would be interested in attending the class.
Please post in this thread if you would be interested. The targeted timeframe is spring of 2010.

For more information please see Vickers Tactical website

In for one, maybe two spots.

I've taken five classes with Larry ... you will learn more about the basics of combat marksmanship in 2-3 days with LAV than you will in years of self-tutoring.

I STRONGLY suggest you get in on this ... this would save you about 16 hours of driving to southern VA, where he normally teaches.

I believe Larry is THE BEST guy out there teaching BASIC marksmanship with carbine and pistol.

Larry stresses accuracy above all else. "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final." First develop surgical precision with your primary and secondary weapon, then work on building up your speed.

I can't speak for Larry, but in prior classes we covered the basics of sight alignment, trigger control, reloading drills, malfunction drills, support-side shooting with the primary, transition from primary to secondary weapon, static turns, and shooting on the move. If there's time, maybe some lowlight shooting with a white light. Much of this stuff would give the RSO's on a flat public range a heart attack!

You'll save time and money with Larry's tips on equipment selection (brands of rifles, magazines, slings, optics, ammo) ... he's got an informed opinion on it all.

And his humor is out there. ;)

You won't be blasting a lot of rounds downrange, but you will be putting damn near every round on your target.

What you'll need: (1) SAFE handling of firearms and (2) bring an open mind.

some youtube footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivNd-KEVFWQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqaN9JqEpoM

LAVPIC.jpg

Last edited:
I'm interested. (If I get my LTC by then....)

I'm definitely in for this. My only plans for the Spring so far is the 2A march in D.C. So as long as it's not that weekend, I'm in. (can I wear tactical gloves at the range after I take this course? [smile])

i just got more indications of very strong interest from three other guys. they couldn't post here because of the delay in NES forum registration.

[smile]

What class is this going to be, the Basic or "I"?

Let us know more ASAP. I'm definately interested, and can probably get friends and co-workers to go, too, depending on the class.

We usually have Bruce Gray, Jerry Jones and possibly Randy Lee at our home club in the spring, so the sooner I know when this will be, I'd schedule our class around that. Not only would I like to train with Mr. Vickers, but we don't need two classes in New England in the same weekend, either!

Depending on location, I'd be interest.

Problem is if its in MA (which seems likely), then being an out of stater, how would this work without an LTC???

Also my carbine, pistol and even mags that I'd use are MA no-no's

Depending on location, I'd be interest.

Problem is if its in MA (which seems likely), then being an out of stater, how would this work without an LTC???

Also my carbine, pistol and even mags that I'd use are MA no-no's

I think Jim and crew at NEshooters will host it at Pelham in NH.

I think Jim and crew at NEshooters will host it at Pelham in NH.

That would be better. Having Bruce Gray and his crew teach a class every year in MA is challenging. We always include a "competition" in the class. If you are coming to a "competition" in MA from out of state, you can bring your firearms here, as long as they are unloaded and in a locked case.

Any way you look at it, NH would be better. I'm hoping to move north next year.

I would be surprised if it wasn't in NH. Hopefully Jim will confirm and put the issue to bed.

Until the date and class are selected, the dates can not be booked anywhere.
With that said, I would expect that we would hold the class at Pelham

Thought this would be helpful ... my comments are in RED

Vickers Tactical 3-Day Level 1 Pistol/Carbine Class

Vickers Tactical website: www.Vickerstactical.com

Larry Vickers is a retired career special operations soldier with 20-plus years of service to our country. A longtime 1st SFOD- Delta operational member, he was a key player in the small arms marksmanship expertise and weapons selection of that Unit. He brings a very unique set of skills to the market, and has a wide and varied background in the firearms industry.

Select Special Operations , Military, and Law Enforcement Units seek him out on a regular basis for expert combat marksmanship training. Considered one of the best combat marksmanship instructors in the U.S, he has become one of the most sought after instructors in the Worldwide Special Operations community.

Topics covered include handgun & carbine safety, stance, zeroing for iron sights and optics, sight alignment and trigger control. Familiarization with their carbine includes field stripping and maintenance. Other subject matter that is covered includes reloads, presentation, strong side & weak side shooting, shooting positions, use of cover, and introduction to different skill drills including dry fire and bullseye shooting. Malfunction drills and shooting on the move as well as transitions. Timed fire drills and evaluations based on class skill level.

Primary Instructor: Larry Vickers

- Class dates: TBA

- Cost: TBA (prior 3 day classes were about $600, not including range fees)

- Range facilities: Private range (Directions will be provided during class sign-up)

- Class size: TBA (usually 16, good to have an even number to pair off for drills)

Weapon & Gear Class Requirements:

Carbine:
- Serviceable duty grade carbine of minimum 5.45 / 5.56 caliber [Do NOT BRING FRANKENGUN HOME BUILDS ... THEY ALMOST ALWAYS BREAK ... AT LEAST HAVE A QUALITY FACTORY UPPER ... COLT, LMT, NOVESKE, S&W..ETC]

- Serviceable sling (tactical type preferred.) [Single point sling or adjustable two-point sling. Stay away from three point slings]

Link to Larry's VCAS adjustable two point slings: http://www.blueforcegear.com/products2.cfm?id=2

- Minimum of 5 serviceable carbine magazines [USGI or Pmags]

- Carbine mounted white light (surefire g2 is plenty)

- Optics – (Optional, but highly suggested) [I would say REQUIRED ... LAV has been partial to aimpoint Comp...shop at LaRue Tactical if you don't have an optic setup]

- Minimum 1 carbine magazine pouch - or method to carry at least two spares magazine(s)

Please see the link in next post re: Rob Sloyer's article on load bearing gizmos for training

Handgun:
- Serviceable duty grade handgun of at least 9mm Para caliber
- Minimum of 5 serviceable pistol magazines
- Serviceable holster
- Minimum 2 pistol magazine pouches [more if you're bringing a 1911]
- Handgun mounted white light (Optional)
- Visible lasers (Optional)

MISC:
- Hand held white light [Surefire G2 is all you need]
- Electronic hearing protection
- Eye Protection
- Suitable range wear depending on the season
- Weapon cleaning & lubrication supplies
- Good attitude
- Bring a notebook and pen.
- Long sleeve shirt and scarf (protection from hot brass)
- Kneepads!
- Beverages
- May need to brown bag lunch depending on location and proximity to restaurants
- Sharpie marker if you need to mark your targets
- Camera!

Zeroed Weapons: 100-yard carbine preferred, but others are acceptable if you have a good reason why and understand it. Know your handguns zero at various ranges. [Usually LAV takes time to zero carbines from the prone position at least at 50 yards]

Ammo Requirements:
- 800 rounds of handgun
- 800 rounds of carbine
- Don't be surprised if you end up shooting a little less than this.

Last edited:
I see a lot of interest on this.
Thanks to Andy T.for being on point for us.

So,

We (Jim & I) are working on the course dates (3 Training PKG.) Friday thru Sunday

We are in discussions with Larry.

What would you consider a fair deposit ($100.00 each) Now to insure he is booked for next year and verify your commitments.

We can set up a payment deposit tab on our website for you all to get this nailed down.

Let's step forward and commit and get him here. By showing him we are serious.

My C note is in the Helmet.

Mike

I see a lot of interest on this.
Thanks to Andy T.for being on point for us.

So,

We (Jim & I) are working on the course dates (3 Training PKG.) Friday thru Sunday

We are in discussions with Larry.

What would you consider a fair deposit ($100.00 each) Now to insure he is booked for next year and verify your commitments.

We can set up a payment deposit tab on our website for you all to get this nailed down.

Let's step forward and commit and get him here. By showing him we are serious.

My C note is in the Helmet.

Mike

I totally agree with requiring deposits, but asking for deposits before you even have dates set? I can't commit to attending a class when I don't know if I'm going to be off from work because nobody knows when the class is going to be!

When we put on the class with Bruce Gray, we set up the date, a long time in advance (like you are), then open registrations and require deposits. I've never heard of an instructor requiring deposits to be made before they will even schedule a class.

I have every other fri-sun off. When you set the dates, if it's on my days off, I'm in and I'll send the money out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom