• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Poor Sig Sauer finish on P226

The 226 is in the same bucket as a 1911

No it's not.

But not for the reasons you would think.

It's because the 1911 fundamentally is kind of a piece of shit. (I love 1911s, but I am brutally honest about what they are).

BTW I own a Legion. and I buy/reccomend them only because its the cheapest way to buy a sig P series nowadays and not be left wanting at the end.

Not to be a pedantic It doesn't come with the coin. Rather when 'join the Legion' you get a challenge coin. It's pretty crappy from a numismatic perspective (They don't even make claims about what it's made of) and it could be even dumber than the little miniature toy gun that comes with Caniks which is pretty dumb (but still kinda fun in its dumbness).

For whatever it's worth, the 'reason' Sig does the the challenge coin with the Legions thing isn't based on any kind of believable claim the coin has value (though they do charge $13 if you want to buy one...jeezus.. I was shocked when I just checked) or that you become a 'member' of some sort of elite fraternity but the incentive it creates to 'register' your Legion with Sig so they can market more stuff to you. To get the coin and the nice but who needs it 5.11 (and WTF is with that color?) pistol pouch, you have to log in to their site and have them shipped 'free' to you with the Legion account. You initially bother with this silliness because you want to get the best price by including all the goodies if you might sell the pistol down the road.

All totally legit commentary that this is layers and layers of marketing B.S. aside, the benefits of getting an actual rep at Sig via the registration confirmation email with whom you can build a real relationship with are huge if you want more Sig stuff or want service on your gear. The benefits of that relationship have more than offset the added cost of a Legion vs not for me.

I'm still pissed at Sig because they discontinued the cool cigar ashtray you used to be able to buy for $60 once you got a legion. [rofl] They went all PC or something. @KAG Arms has been trying valiantly to procure of those things for me.

BTW none of that other stuff means anything. You buy a legion because its less shitty than most of the rest of their standard
offering. Thats why you buy a legion. IF you get one that was made well (which even despite sigs horrible CS these days) is more likely than not, you probably won't need it serviced.

I bought a P226 legion a few weeks ago. Finally made a range trip with it last Sunday, ran 440 rounds through it. Never even thought about looking at the finish afterwards. Might check later for the hell of it now.

I did order a g code holster for it, not concerned about finish wear. Probably why I don't buy fancy pants guns anymore.

I'm still pissed at Sig because they discontinued the cool cigar ashtray you used to be able to buy for $60 once you got a legion. [rofl] They went all PC or something. @KAG Arms has been trying valiantly to procure of those things for me.

BTW none of that other stuff means anything. You buy a legion because its less shitty than most of the rest of their standard
offering. Thats why you buy a legion. IF you get one that was made well (which even despite sigs horrible CS these days) is more likely than not, you probably won't need it serviced.
Well shit. I'll be googling sig ashtray now.

Wife says thanks in advance.

Well shit. I'll be googling sig ashtray now.

Wife says thanks in advance.

Apparently, the machine shop that makes them still makes them the same style. But you obviously can't get the one with the Sig Legion design on it. [rofl] I forget who it was, but someone else here, maybe @Canndo found the original company that made the ashtrays for sig.

Apparently, the machine shop that makes them still makes them the same style. But you obviously can't get the one with the Sig Legion design on it. [rofl] I forget who it was, but someone else here, maybe @Canndo found the original company that made the ashtrays for sig.
I'll have the daughter find one. Has to be one on flea bay.

Yup. I might polish it up today! [laugh]

14AE37DC-8FE5-484F-A60D-D6AC77FB6743.jpeg
30201125-8B65-47CF-A3B1-CA1A8C038DEF.jpeg
D100D8E3-2ED4-4EA5-A19C-0DA8C51520F2.jpeg

Took a few years off from cigars. Been thinking about doing one a week. Today might be the day. ;)

No it's not.

But not for the reasons you would think.

It's because the 1911 fundamentally is kind of a piece of shit. (I love 1911s, but I am brutally honest about what they are).

BTW I own a Legion. and I buy/reccomend them only because its the cheapest way to buy a sig P series nowadays and not be left wanting at the end.
Well the original mil specs were produced on the quick and cheap and the whole barrel bushing takedown, the leaf spring, I mean, they have quirks... but is that the kind of thing you meant or is it other things?

What semiautomatic handgun design would you describe as not a piece of shit? I mean, I see things I dislike about all of them.

Well dammit,... Now I see the pics posted below I want one.

Since we seem to have collected folks with a clue about the 226, pros and cons...

I tend to run my very lubed, not dripping, but well lubed. Oil on locking block, rails and a wipe of the barrel hood, a few small drops smeared own the spring guide. A dot of grease on small parts to aid re-assembly on the occasions I deeper clean. Where are y'all? Grease or oil the rails? I've read the 'if it slides, grease it' approach but Sig (and others) seem to say no, oil it. The 'attracts grit' argument for no grease seems kinda silly to worry about on a high round range gun in and out of a bag or holstered only for drills vs an EDC where that would be more a worry. Is this a bad take?

Any magic fix for the wiggliness of the right side safety lever on the SAO?

Well the original mil specs were produced on the quick and cheap and the whole barrel bushing takedown, the leaf spring, I mean, they have quirks... but is that the kind of thing you meant or is it other things?

What semiautomatic handgun design would you describe as not a piece of shit? I mean, I see things I dislike about all of them.
Fundamentally the 1911 is a difficult design to execute properly in modern manufacturing (it really needs to be hand fitted, at least to some degree) and the reliability window of the design is not great because of controlled feed, that stupid f***ing swinging link (in case you didn't notice, when the BHP came around, that stupidity disappeared) and other BS. (Case in point, wilson 47D mags nearly defeat controlled feed, in turn increasing reliability) You can take an average P220, or a Glock 21, and do unsavory things to it, and it's still going to run. There's a whole bunch of guns that qualify for this standard of reliability, the 1911 really isn't one of them. I shot 1911s for over a decade in pins (I lost track of the round count, but its probably 20K+ easy through that platform over like 6 guns) and if your gun isn't in great shape (especially in terms of keeping it fastidiously clean / lubed) it will screw you. It can be reliable enough given good circumstances but on the whole it's not even going to smell the farts of other platforms on overall reliability. The 1911 sticks around because of its timeless appearance, great trigger, great ergonomics (it can be tweaked to fit most shooters hands) and nearly infinite customization, as well as a great knowledge base of gun plumbers that work on them. If not for those things it'd be sitting next to the Luger as "guns that look kinda cool but actually they suck". And I'm not even getting into the tactical timmy stuff like lack of capacity etc. I say all that as someone who probably isn't done buying them (honestly it is a disease, lmao) but I know full well what the limitations of the platform are.

To answer your question? Fundamentally, pretty much anything else, if we're putting reliaibility over everything else. Nothing is perfect, but it is not difficult to get a gun that is more reliable than the average 1911. I can take my glerks, the P226 Legion, or CZ P10-C's, or even my CZ Shadow CT, and basically shoot those guns until clods of dirt are coming out of them. The 1911s will have stopped working long before that point is reached.

Fundamentally the 1911 is a difficult design to execute properly in modern manufacturing (it really needs to be hand fitted, at least to some degree) and the reliability window of the design is not great because of controlled feed, that stupid f***ing swinging link (in case you didn't notice, when the BHP came around, that stupidity disappeared) and other BS. (Case in point, wilson 47D mags nearly defeat controlled feed, in turn increasing reliability) You can take an average P220, or a Glock 21, and do unsavory things to it, and it's still going to run. There's a whole bunch of guns that qualify for this standard of reliability, the 1911 really isn't one of them. I shot 1911s for over a decade in pins (I lost track of the round count, but its probably 20K+ easy through that platform over like 6 guns) and if your gun isn't in great shape (especially in terms of keeping it fastidiously clean / lubed) it will screw you. It can be reliable enough given good circumstances but on the whole it's not even going to smell the farts of other platforms on overall reliability. The 1911 sticks around because of its timeless appearance, great trigger, great ergonomics (it can be tweaked to fit most shooters hands) and nearly infinite customization, as well as a great knowledge base of gun plumbers that work on them. If not for those things it'd be sitting next to the Luger as "guns that look kinda cool but actually they suck". And I'm not even getting into the tactical timmy stuff like lack of capacity etc. I say all that as someone who probably isn't done buying them (honestly it is a disease, lmao) but I know full well what the limitations of the platform are.

To answer your question? Fundamentally, pretty much anything else, if we're putting reliaibility over everything else. Nothing is perfect, but it is not difficult to get a gun that is more reliable than the average 1911. I can take my glerks, the P226 Legion, or CZ P10-C's, or even my CZ Shadow CT, and basically shoot those guns until clods of dirt are coming out of them. The 1911s will have stopped working long before that point is reached.
Thanks! Sound logic!

I wonder how the swinging link compares to the Beretta moving locking block on the hit parade of fiddly parts. I've not shot my 1911 enough to have noticed any issues with the link (feed issues.. Yep! Just nothing I could know to blame the link for) and I probably am too anal about cleaning/keeping lubed. I'd assume the Beretta having more moving parts in the locking mechanism would be worse but the 92f seems to just work.

Design evolution in pistols, like all things, seems to be moving toward manufacturing simplicity and loose tolerance/clearance manufacturing resilience. The Glocks and clones, the 320/365 seem to embody this. For entirely irrational reasons, much as I like a 320 with an alloy grip frame, it's still so much less satisfying than older school designs that are, as you note, likely less reliable. This conversation has had me realize I don't enjoy carry guns as range guns. Keeping the skills up on them is kind of a chore in comparison to the fun of the full size metal pistols.

Since we seem to have collected folks with a clue about the 226, pros and cons...

I tend to run my very lubed, not dripping, but well lubed. Oil on locking block, rails and a wipe of the barrel hood, a few small drops smeared own the spring guide. A dot of grease on small parts to aid re-assembly on the occasions I deeper clean. Where are y'all? Grease or oil the rails? I've read the 'if it slides, grease it' approach but Sig (and others) seem to say no, oil it. The 'attracts grit' argument for no grease seems kinda silly to worry about on a high round range gun in and out of a bag or holstered only for drills vs an EDC where that would be more a worry. Is this a bad take?.

I used to go crazy with grease and this and that and all that BS. No longer. It just makes a mess, a mess I don't want to deal with. I just clean mine once or twice a year and lube it with Slip EWL30, mostly what I do with anything else. Eventually you will get to a point where you hate cleaning guns, and you will want the method that involves the least wasted time. Usually when I'm cleaning guns it involves an evening where I'm doing 3-6 guns at a time and I just want to get them done and ready for whatever next time is. I laugh at these people that clean guns constantly, and there's very few guns I go ape with like that. I used to be "one of those people" but no longer, it simply isnt necessary.

If you are blessed enough to know a person that actually will touch Sigs, it probably can be refitted a bit to reduce that, but I'll have to check mine out, never really noticed it, but I'm right
handed, so there's that....

I used to go crazy with grease and this and that and all that BS. No longer. It just makes a mess, a mess I don't want to deal with. I just clean mine once or twice a year and lube it with Slip EWL30, mostly what I do with anything else. Eventually you will get to a point where you hate cleaning guns, and you will want the method that involves the least wasted time. Usually when I'm cleaning guns it involves an evening where I'm doing 3-6 guns at a time and I just want to get them done and ready for whatever next time is. I laugh at these people that clean guns constantly, and there's very few guns I go ape with like that. I used to be "one of those people" but no longer, it simply isnt necessary.

If you are blessed enough to know a person that actually will touch Sigs, it probably can be refitted a bit to reduce that, but I'll have to check mine out, never really noticed it, but I'm right
handed, so there's that....
I get a lot of my cleaning done during endless Zoom meetings. :)

Carry guns get a very regular inspection, sweat wipedown and function check. (How regular varies depending on how sweaty and grungy I got.)

Range guns I at least check lube before every range trip but only clean every 750-1000 rounds-ish and yeah, the ish gets more and more ish as I get older.

I have a P226 Legion manufactured in 21. Finish is not durable compared to many of my other firearms. Lots of holster ware on the slide. Great firearm however I do wish Sig put on a more durable finish.

No the legion finish is notoriously shitty. I would be aggravated too
Yep. There have been complaints about the crappy finish on the Sig Legion-series pistols for as long as they have been out. It shouldn't surprise anyone who has done even a tiny amount of research before buying. Why this is so, I don't know. It makes no sense at all that a premium version gun sports a crappy finish far less durable than the standard series guns. I own multiple standard finish P-series pistols and zero problems with the finish or otherwise.

I now see that one of our top local shops is blowing our P229 Legion pistols at a relatively cheap price. I still wouldn't own one. My OCPD would never allow it! 🤔

Yep. There have been complaints about the crappy finish on the Sig Legion-series pistols for as long as they have been out. It shouldn't surprise anyone who has done even a tiny amount of research before buying. Why this is so, I don't know. It makes no sense at all that a premium version gun sports a crappy finish far less durable than the standard series guns. I own multiple standard finish P-series pistols and zero problems with the finish or otherwise.

I now see that one of our top local shops is blowing our P229 Legion pistols at a relatively cheap price. I still wouldn't own one. My OCPD would never allow it! 🤔
I don't think the Finish is consistently crappy I think this is a typical Sig quality control issue more than anything else although the OPs thing is really not an indictment of the finish of the rest of the gun.

Food for thought though once you own an HK Mark 23 maritime finish once in your life... you will basically think that every other gun looks like s*** in terms of finish... although when a cruel sense of irony the barrel finish on that gun deteriorates rapidly with the rest of the gun stays beautiful forever. It's like this black obsidian thing. The only thing I've seen better than a mark 23 Maritime slide is a colt python. Not durability just appearance.... 🤣

I don't think the Finish is consistently crappy I think this is a typical Sig quality control issue more than anything else although the OPs thing is really not an indictment of the finish of the rest of the gun.
I'll agree that the OP's tiny pix are not enough evidence to indict Sig and diss the entire Legion finish thang, but years of complaints (w/photos) over on sigtalk.com and elsewhere are more than just coincidence. Is it just sloppy quality control or an inherently weak/delicate finish? I can't say for certain... just that I'll never own one. I hate guns with delicate finishes no matter how good they might be otherwise. 👎

On the other hand, I'll take a stainless P-series Sig all day long and twice on Sundays! [thumbsup]

I tend to run my very lubed, not dripping, but well lubed. Oil on locking block, rails and a wipe of the barrel hood, a few small drops smeared own the spring guide. A dot of grease on small parts to aid re-assembly on the occasions I deeper clean. Where are y'all? Grease or oil the rails? I've read the 'if it slides, grease it' approach but Sig (and others) seem to say no, oil it. The 'attracts grit' argument for no grease seems kinda silly to worry about on a high round range gun in and out of a bag or holstered only for drills vs an EDC where that would be more a worry. Is this a bad take?

I’m not at fan of greese on a carry piece.. I find it collects too much shit. And look at the photos of mine. The grease is fine and at the range once it’s warmed up, but during the winter it also sucks.

If I were to clean my gun, I don’t own a dishwasher so I would just put it in the sink or bring it in the shower scrub it down with a toothbrush or something.

View: https://youtu.be/15puo-dSEIY?si=frSKGoSZLFC98L5E

Then just over lube the shit out of it and then wipe it all off. Put 50 100 rounds through it. Wipe all the oil off again and your good to go..

I'll agree that the OP's tiny pix are not enough evidence to indict Sig and diss the entire Legion finish thang, but years of complaints (w/photos) over on sigtalk.com and elsewhere are more than just coincidence. Is it just sloppy quality control or an inherently weak/delicate finish? I can't say for certain... just that I'll never own one. I hate guns with delicate finishes no matter how good they might be otherwise. 👎

On the other hand, I'll take a stainless P-series Sig all day long and twice on Sundays! [thumbsup]
Honestly guns like the P220 St are overrated you're far better off looking for something like a German proof marked alloy framed P220. It will handle better shoot better and overall be a better life purchase than a P220 ST is. I had a 220ST I traded it for a chinese AK....🤣 it was just too clunky for what it was.

Sig went downhill when they started producing 15 different finishes of all kinds of stupid colors. It’s not the color or the finishes whoever’s in charge is definitely a tool.

Yup. I might polish it up today! [laugh]

View attachment 789523
View attachment 789524
View attachment 789525

Took a few years off from cigars. Been thinking about doing one a week. Today might be the day. ;)
That is a really nice ashtray.

Also, I haven’t posted in my random thought of the day thread because I haven’t had one in a while.

I bet my expensive electric toothbrush would clean a gun really nice.. probably as good as an ultrasonic cleaner

Before
IMG_2327.jpeg
After
IMG_2328.jpeg IMG_2329.jpeg IMG_2331.jpeg
Then put in sink and spray with CLP. Wipe down the next day shoot some rounds wipe it down again..
IMG_2332.jpeg
Make sure your wife’s out of town…
Might have been better off using Hoppes then crest.

In all serious though everybody way over thinks this, you carry it in the Rain, ride motorcycles in the rain….

worked out pretty good and only took about five minutes

I only did it, so you could see the wear

Holy @#$% @MGnoob has the only Sig without the finish warn off the barrel shroud! You ever shoot that thing?

(Kidding, I can see the wear. What's the vintage and do you know offhand what the finish is on the barrel? Oh, and I use a brush soaked in solvent after six cups of coffee to save the batteries in my toothbrush.)

I’m not sure when I bought it. I have a bunch of other ones that I don’t like shooting because they’re not as common and I don’t really want holster marks on them as lame as that sounds.. those guns I use at the range I just bought this one. To carry and test my reloads…

You have to remember, I was copper plating my own projectiles, so I would shoot a target point-blank range to see if it was shedding it’s plate if at the range to see if I had a bad batch.. which I never did. During the original testing, I used to take this in the swimming pool and fire underwater… that’s the best test I have technically you’re supposed to shoot into a water tank, but I don’t have that capacity

Now I need to do is shoot it wipe it down shoot it again wipe it down and then you only get oil leaking out of the trigger on that stops you’re done. Ready to go for however many rounds you want IMG_2338.jpeg
The point I’m trying to make is even with the Legion it’s just a basic tool don’t overthink it as long as it goes bang, but I would be pissed if I got a new gun and it looked like that real quick. I’ve never had that happen.

Back
Top Bottom