• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pondering an AR - what would you sell/trade

so I don't have a rifle, and until recent events and a lot of research, into home/self/shtf defense, Ive decided that I want to get one. For a long time, I was under the impression, for example that the .556 was horrible for home defense due to overpenetration - for as long as I've been around firearms, I admit, I didn't know SHIT about ballistics and while its now amateuristic at best, its a step up in terms of my knowledge.

so enter my dilemma. I had been waiting and still might wait, for a promotion and get myself a "gift" rifle. I had been thinking Tavor, but was either way going with a .556 vs 762 - mainly due to cost concerns. The promotion is at least 2 months out, but I've got the gun boner bad.

for firearms worthy of trade/cash value - a 686 pre-lock and a gen3 glock23. I like both a lot, have CCWed both, with the 686 giving me the badass factor in addition to power/accuracy, the 23 with practical, reliability in a semi auto (.40 jokes aside).

not sure if Im going to do this. I may wait. but if you had a raging rifle woody, what would YOU trade/sell?

If I was only going to have one AR it would be a Tavor.

I wouldn't sell/trade anything that you'll miss just because you don't want to wait 2 months. A Glock - go for it. A pre-lock wheel gun - hang onto it.

yeah, the more I think about it, I'm not going to let anyone take the 686.

If I was only going to have one AR it would be a Tavor.

I wouldn't sell/trade anything that you'll miss just because you don't want to wait 2 months. A Glock - go for it. A pre-lock wheel gun - hang onto it.

don't forget the price of 5.56 ammo, you'll be spending $50+ each range visit.

Do you have a .22? I bought a used Sig 522 rifle to satisfy the rifle craving for now, and range visits will be a lot cheaper. An M&P15-22 is a pretty cheap way to go.

How many trips to the range do you think you will make in the next two month? If the answer is >4 I would wait the 2 months for the the Tavor instead of selling a gun now. I'm sure you know someone that would be willing to let you take their AR to the range in order to kill your cravings?

Most folks here will tell you to build your own AR. And while that might be an option, I would suggest looking into the S&W MP15-Sport. There are still good deals to be had... even in the NES classifieds!

The savings swing between a S&W Sport and a Tavor is pretty wide. I think the first thing would be figure out what you want to budget to satisfy your craving and go from there.

Tavor is on my "if I get a huge bonus" list and even that's iffy. My thoughts are if I buy one, its going to be a reliable base AR that doesn't cost a lot, so I can get it accessorized the way I want and have an absolute ass-load (yeah that's a unit of measure) of magazines. I intend for it to be a serious fighting weapon above all else.

The savings swing between a S&W Sport and a Tavor is pretty wide. I think the first thing would be figure out what you want to budget to satisfy your craving and go from there.

My thoughts.

Buy a used ar in the classifieds. Some good deals there. I personally would try to get a piston ar. I spent years cleaning filthy m4's with the gas impingement. Nightmare and it does impact reliability. I am not a fan of the bull pup rifles like the tavor. The magazine changes are much faster with a standard rifle setup. That's my 2 cents.

My thoughts.

Buy a used ar in the classifieds. Some good deals there. I personally would try to get a piston ar. I spent years cleaning filthy m4's with the gas impingement. Nightmare and it does impact reliability. I am not a fan of the bull pup rifles like the tavor. The magazine changes are much faster with a standard rifle setup. That's my 2 cents.

This claim that people make about mag changes in a bullpup taking longer are ludicrous. With 10 minutes of practice you can change mags just as fast in a Tavor or Aug and Aug clone. Bullpups are shorter, easier to maneuver, and balanced better than an AR. I have both and vastly prefer the bullpup for HD. I like 'em all though. :)

I would agree and recommend a good piston system for an AR. I have two Adams conversion piston uppers and I think they are the best concersion units. For Factory piston systems LMT and Sig are tops. But those sigs are heavy. The ruger piston upper is also a lead brick.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk Pro - typos are from the GD auto correct unless they are funny substitutions those I'll take credit for.

PSA has a blem premium upper for 239, and a blem lower for 59. I guess you could put a middle of the road carbine together for around 5 C notes.

I'm fond of the Windhams.
But I don't know anyone with an M&P who doesn't like it.
For someone on a budget, it's probably the best value.
It's going to go bang every time just the same as a pricier "bragging" piece.

Get a daniel defense, If you want a reliable ar. My local gun store has a v5 with magpul sights for $1125.

Ammo is not too bad for 556. I bought some steel at dicks for 6.29 a box of 20. Save up and buy the rifle.

currently is not bad, get another scare like we had 2 years ago when it was selling at 70-75 cents a round! 7.62x39 ammo went up but nearly as much as 5.56 it was around 35 cents a round.

just something to consider, i would stock up now while prices are at the lowest they have been a a few years.

AR mags a typically considerably more money then ak mags too.

I mean you can compare ars and aks all day and still not figure out what you want. all in all the ak platform is a lower cost platform if cost is a big concern.

I'd have to concur with post #2. Give up a gun? Does not compute. One only acquires more guns.

This.
If the sh*t actually ever actually does hit the fan someday (some here have convinced me that the day is drawing nearer - quickly!), you're gonna want every gun you now own (and wished you hadn't sold). I hope the day never comes, but if "doomsday" ever did, the only one who is gonna save your ass is....You.

And your guns (plural)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom