Pondering an AR - what would you sell/trade

This.
If the sh*t actually ever actually does hit the fan someday (some here have convinced me that the day is drawing nearer - quickly!), you're gonna want every gun you now own (and wished you hadn't sold). I hope the day never comes, but if "doomsday" ever did, the only one who is gonna save your ass is....You.

And your guns (plural)
This. Whether or not the EOTWAWKI happens anytime in the near future, don't sell any of your guns. I've sold a few in the past when I was possessed by demons and I regret it regularly. Save your nickels and dimes and grab whatever floats your boat.

so I don't have a rifle, and until recent events and a lot of research, into home/self/shtf defense, Ive decided that I want to get one. For a long time, I was under the impression, for example that the .556 was horrible for home defense due to overpenetration - for as long as I've been around firearms, I admit, I didn't know SHIT about ballistics and while its now amateuristic at best, its a step up in terms of my knowledge.

so enter my dilemma. I had been waiting and still might wait, for a promotion and get myself a "gift" rifle. I had been thinking Tavor, but was either way going with a .556 vs 762 - mainly due to cost concerns. The promotion is at least 2 months out, but I've got the gun boner bad.

for firearms worthy of trade/cash value - a 686 pre-lock and a gen3 glock23. I like both a lot, have CCWed both, with the 686 giving me the badass factor in addition to power/accuracy, the 23 with practical, reliability in a semi auto (.40 jokes aside).

not sure if Im going to do this. I may wait. but if you had a raging rifle woody, what would YOU trade/sell?

Don't get a Tavor for your first rifle, Get a Colt 6920, or a BCM, Daniel defense, get it online for a better price than Mass-Markups, you can't go wrong with those choices.

My first was an M&P15 Sport. I have no complaints at all. Threw a red dot on there, and *bam*, instantly felt more secure knowing I have a functional fighting gun (though the lack of a dust cover does irk me). It goes bang every time, and I can put 55gr. boolits in a three inch hole at 100 yards offhand all day long (the gun will do better; I'm the limiting factor) I've since caught the build-bug....and I blame all you bastards for that! ;-)

AngelKing,

Don't worry you are not the only one here who does not have an AR or AK, I do not either.

My only words of advice is do not sell what you have to get one, just save up and add to your others.

I will never sell what I have to get one, but I will get one in time.

PSA has a blem premium upper for 239, and a blem lower for 59. I guess you could put a middle of the road carbine together for around 5 C notes.

depending on the components you go with, palmetto state armory is a phenomenal AR. and not just for the money. but sadly, they won't send their lowers to Massachusetts... whether you are an ffl or not.

AR mags a typically considerably more money then ak mags too.

Where are you shopping??? Pmags go for about $14 each and I was at Cabelas in Maine a few weeks ago and they had barrels with the GI style aluminum mags for $9.

Good Euro Surplus, US Palm, Circle Ten or Bakelight AK mags will cost you around $30 each

That said, in all fairness i have no idea what the preban mag market is like...so I could be all wrong when it comes to MA.

Last edited:
I think I may take the prevailing advice and not sell the guns or trade them. The 686 is literally the coolest gun I've ever held and by far the most frighteningly accurate I've ever fired. The G23....well, what it lacks in cool factor, it makes up for it in concealability, weight, capacity and the whole goes bang every time I pull the trigger factor. I do own a shotgun in case we have an issue in the interim.

I knocked the Tavor off the list for now - although I really dig the concept of having something nobody else has, and the whole IDF heritage, I think Im going to go with a platform that's known, has more accessories than a Harley dealership etc.

I sold a Ruger MKII 20 years ago. I missed it a little, and bought a MKIII last year.

A couple of years ago I sold my S&W 586. It was in excellent condition, but I don't miss it.

Buy and sell to suit your needs rather than the desires of others on an internet forum.

Not that I'm trying to push the Tavor, because I'm not. What appeals to me most about it is it's 26 1/8" long and doesn't require a tax stamp. It also seems more maneuverable in tight spaces/vehicles. You know, for all of the operating I do.

If you're balling on a budget, building one will get you what you want a piece at a time. Shipping adds up, but doesn't have to kill you. Or go with the M&P Sport and call it a day [smile]. I won't touch the dust cover/forward assist subject but my go-to rifle has neither.

I may build - ultimately, I want as short a carbine as I can legally create or purchase. I'm drawing up my parts list now - so far its gotta be a flattop with BUIS, maybe an Israeli style forward relief scope. If I build, its going to take time because Im not buying shitty parts.

Not that I'm trying to push the Tavor, because I'm not. What appeals to me most about it is it's 26 1/8" long and doesn't require a tax stamp. It also seems more maneuverable in tight spaces/vehicles. You know, for all of the operating I do.

If you're balling on a budget, building one will get you what you want a piece at a time. Shipping adds up, but doesn't have to kill you. Or go with the M&P Sport and call it a day [smile]. I won't touch the dust cover/forward assist subject but my go-to rifle has neither.

Just remember to factor into your budget the cost of preban mags. No use getting a high end AR with one 10 round mag and realizing your out of dough!
This of course opens up the the whole, "how many mags are enough" topic! I started with three, got to six now have 20!

not sure if Im going to do this. I may wait. but if you had a raging rifle woody, what would YOU trade/sell?

This will not be popular here, as many will just say "buy more guns" but I've gotten to the point where I'm tired of owning a bunch of "ok" guns a shoot a little and I would rather have a couple guns that I shoot a lot. I recently sold 6 AR's and a bunch of handguns... as well as a safe and a half worth of old Mil-Surp guns.....

I know own 1 "battle rifle" and a few handguns. I've bought heavily into platforms I believe in and platform I want to shoot, as well as more reloading componets, for conversion kits for my press and more magazines for the platforms I have decided on.

I'm sure there will be many ( most ) in this thread that say "dude, buy another gun" or "AR's suck, buy an AK" Many, many many of these same people have have the same guns collecting dust in their safes and they are "impressed" that they have "500 flawless rounds through them" I have specifically left out the firearms I choose, as it's irrelevant to the conversation

If you are serious about protection, or gear that performs buy into a platform you believe in, and buy everything else that goes with it ( ammo, mags, reloading equipment, mag pouches ect ect ) a person with 1 rifle and 1 hand gun that is proficient and well stocked and supplied is far superior to a person with 100 guns, no ammo and no skills

Glocks have no soul, so sell that (besides, they are easy enough to replace, and since they have no soul, would be the same if you got another). Find the thread about Daniel Defense and BCM, then get that BCM upper. Then get a group buy blemishes forged lower and a ALG QMS trigger. Outfit it with some cast off used stocks and you are GTG.

Or get an AK or for something different, a Highpoint carbine. Or if you think it through, a lever gun in same caliber as your revolver.

Edit:

Here's your lower half:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/253728-Preban-AR-15-Lower-price-drop!

Maybe you can negotiate.

Last edited:
ha -I love Glocks but you are correct....cold.

Glocks have no soul, so sell that. Find the thread about Daniel Defense and BCM, then get that BCM upper. Then get a group buy blemishes forged lower and a ALG QMS trigger. Outfit it with some cast off used stocks and you are GTG.

Or get an AK or for something different, a Highpoint carbine. Or if you think it through, a lever gun in same caliber as your revolver.

Edit:

Here's your lower half:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/253728-Preban-AR-15-Lower-price-drop!

Maybe you can negotiate.

I may build - ultimately, I want as short a carbine as I can legally create or purchase

Just to prove a point...

IMG_20140730_185305_zpsggotkg8w.jpg

Savage Rascal

IWI Tavor 16" with PWS556 muzzle brake

Dpms lower with magpul stock

Last edited:
I may build - ultimately, I want as short a carbine as I can legally create or purchase. I'm drawing up my parts list now - so far its gotta be a flattop with BUIS, maybe an Israeli style forward relief scope. If I build, its going to take time because Im not buying shitty parts.

If you're set on the AR15 platform, buy or build a rifle now and file a form 1 to make it into an SBR. Then replace the barrel or the upper. eForms are starting to come back fairly quickly.

Just to clarify, if you want to avoid CLEO signoff and also want to eFile (faster), then you'll need to set up a trust. Anywhere from $100-$1000 depending on what lawyer you go to. www.guntrustlawyer.com is what I used, and their basic trust is $200.

- - - Updated - - -

and is that yearly or a one time fee?

It's $200 per transfer. If you ever want to sell it to somebody else, they'll need to pay the $200 and wait however long for the transfer to be approved.

So, $200 to make it in the first place. Any transfer of it after that requires $200 and a Form 4, if to another individual.

youre the best. thaks!

Note that I'm not saying you should do any of that, it's just another option you should consider. Without all the paperwork jazz, a 14.5" barrel with a 1.5"+ muzzle device perm attached would be the shortest AR15 you can make. All the added cost may or may not make a Tavor make more sense.

My 10.5" AR15 SBR has the same OAL as a Tavor, FYI.

Shoot a Tavor before buying one. I hate pretty much everything about the ergonomics, and the stock trigger is junk. Sight axis is really high too.

Back
Top Bottom