Anonymous Poll: Would you give your contact info?

Would you give your contact info?

• Yes, having someone making calls to reps for me would be helpful.

• Nope, I'm vigilant about calling my reps and others every time to support or oppose bills

• Nope, I just don't want to give my info to anyone for any reason.

Results are only viewable after voting.
We're a busy group with lives, families, hobbies, etc. Not everyone gets around to calling their reps, and an entire committee every time a bad bill needs to be opposed, or a good bill needs to be supported. What if some (well known, trusted) people here volunteered to make the calls for you, on your behalf? Would you give your contact info and sign up for that to make our pro 2A voice stronger?

What I'm reading is that the issues being called about just aren't important enough for one to personally get involved.

I'm speaking with regard to the overall concept of having someone call on your behalf.

Ok, yeah, you can look at it that way. I’m trying to lower the threshold of effort to get a good result. Everybody knows they should eat well and exercise, but not everyone makes time and puts in the effort, that’s true.

Join GOAL, send money, let professionals advocate effectively. 'HI, my name is Mary, calling on behalf of GOAL. We have 350k REGISTERED, dues paying members opposed to/in favor of..." beats the HELL out of "Hi, my name is Mary, my 8 friends and I think that..."

Unfortunately there are about 400,000 registered gun owners in MA and 27,000 members of GOAL.

Join GOAL, send money, let professionals advocate effectively. 'HI, my name is Mary, calling on behalf of GOAL. We have 350k REGISTERED, dues paying members opposed to/in favor of..." beats the HELL out of "Hi, my name is Mary, my 8 friends and I think that..."

Unfortunately there are about 400,000 registered gun owners in MA and 27,000 members of GOAL.

If GOAL had 350k members I'd be picking out a silencer and fully adjustable stock for my SBR instead of wasting time on this idea, heh. Of course, I'm all for growing GOAL. But, this calling idea partially came from them. They send emails pretty often saying ALERT - PLEASE CALL... Sometimes I do, often I don't and wish I did later.

Btw, +1 on the Freitas link in your sig, should check how he's doing lately.

I think it's a good idea. I'm a member of goal and the NRA. I have only sent emails a couple of times. And there was a link that all I had to do is plug in my personal information and the email was already written I'm not a big computer person. So for me to type an email correctly and send it to somebody. I don't feel comfortable.

Another thing, this approach could also provide a rapid response. We know another bad bill is coming, it's only a matter of time. The Anti "Never let a crisis go to waste" crowd is just sitting on more onerous restrictions, waiting for the right moment. We should prepare BEFORE that happens instead of scrambling after.

Let's say the volunteer calling idea gains traction, and we get the info of like 100 people, and 10 people volunteer to make calls. Then a GOAL Alert goes out asking to contact your rep and 2 committee chairs. The next day (100 people info x 3 calls ) / 8 available volunteers spend 2 hours calling saying "Hi I'm person X at address Y and I oppose S.2063".

The recent Vermont disaster started with a 6-5 vote from their judiciary committee. What if they were flooded with hundreds of calls before that vote?

There’s typically over 60 people looking at this part of the forum at any given moment, and the poll has about 30 responses so far. Makes me wonder how to get more. Am I missing an option in the poll? Bad thread title? Or maybe it’s activism fatigue, many people avoiding these topics that just want to talk about gear.

What is wrong with email??? I regularly get emails back from either the Rep/Sen themselves or an aide within a short time. Heck, I emailed Marc Pacheco about ERPO, thinking he'd be for it. Got an email in less than 24 hrs from an aide telling me Sen Pacheco has always been for protecting 2A rights. (But not nearly enough emphatic "NO ERPO" from them. LOL)

I think it's a good idea. I'm a member of goal and the NRA. I have only sent emails a couple of times. And there was a link that all I had to do is plug in my personal information and the email was already written I'm not a big computer person. So for me to type an email correctly and send it to somebody. I don't feel comfortable.

Form letters are mostly completely disregarded when it comes to this kind of thing. You're best off modifying the original form.

What is wrong with email??? I regularly get emails back from either the Rep/Sen themselves or an aide within a short time. Heck, I emailed Marc Pacheco about ERPO, thinking he'd be for it. Got an email in less than 24 hrs from an aide telling me Sen Pacheco has always been for protecting 2A rights. (But not nearly enough emphatic "NO ERPO" from them. LOL)

If you get responses that indicate a human being actually read your email, fantastic, keep it up! I've had mixed results, usually getting a nondescript form email back, sometimes no response at all.

Another thing on email vs phone, I keep seeing that using the phone is more effective.

MA Legislator Info | Contact - Find | GOAL

"In today's high tech world, many people find email as an efficient tool to communicate with those who they may not have previously. Certainly, any contact with legislators is better than none at all. However, email has far less impact than a phone call or traditional letter."

Back
Top Bottom