Police thought they saw a gun during a traffic stop, but it was a flamethrower

That's funny. "Flamethrower".

A friend of mine down here has a flamethrower.
I laughed like hell when I saw it. He's a bit closer to the edge than I am.

I'm pretty sure by legal definition, after you say "infernal machine" you must follow it with an immediate "dagnabbit" or the charge is invalid.

What cartoon had a character who yelled "An infernal machine!" in almost every episode? Was one of the skits on Tennessee Tuxedo or Underdog or something from that period.

Can someone please tell me if a flamethrower is even illegal?
From Wikipedia’s flamethrower entry (Private ownership):

In the United States, private ownership of a flamethrower is not restricted by federal law. Flamethrowers are legal in 48 states and restricted in California and Maryland.

Edit: and the Boring Company’s “flamethrower” isn’t even a flamethrower according to California law, which defines a flamethrower as "any non-stationary and transportable device designed or intended to emit or propel a burning stream of combustible or flammable liquid a distance of at least 10 feet”. The Boring Company’s device is really just a cool looking weed burner using propane gas.

Last edited:
And now you know why police unions love the inspection sticker. Another available "probable cause" to pull over.
Even backwards dixie land North Carolina figured out how to connect inspection and registration using this new fangled thing call the interweb.
(I got the evil eye from a trooper when visiting because I have no stickah on the windshield)
The dude deserves the illegal device charge for being a dumb criminal.

This idiot did everything he could to get behind bars short of steal the handcuffs, put them on and walk directly to the jail.
True dat. PSGWSP.

Expired stickers dont give cops a free search.
Nothing says they can't observe a pistol grip or other possible paraphernalia through the window as they ask for license and registration. Now theres probable cause.
Only if the date on the expired sticker falls within the grace period =>
the pretext for the stop was invalid.
(Driving on a year-old sticker is still a violation).

Item was in clear view
(that's the cop's story and he's sticking to it) =>
item was seized as (alleged) evidence of a crime.

No probable cause for the stop =>
item is inadmissible as evidence of an infernal machine.

No evidence of an infernal machine =>
missing element of the crime =>
case dismissed.

Feel free to pay a lawyer to argue with the court that
the seized item is legal, not contraband, and should be returned.

Defendant beats the rap,
but doesn't beat the ride.

ETA: Or not -
"My license to practice law in Massachusetts is the same as Elizabeth Warren's."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom