• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Police standoff in Rowley

Such a quiet town too

http://www.newburyportnews.com/punews/local_story_116225801.html

ROWLEY — A two-hour standoff on Cedarwood Lane ended peacefully yesterday after a man threatened to kill himself and his wife following a fight.

Neighboring police departments as well as the Northeast Massachusetts Law Enforcement Council SWAT team and hostage negotiators descended on 11 Cedarwood Lane shortly before 3 p.m. yesterday.

Police had received a call from the wife of Jeffrey P. Cohen, 52, of that address that she was scared for her life.

"The subject had been in an argument with his wife and was threatening to kill himself," Rowley Deputy Chief Robert Barker said. "He had a shotgun. A neighbor had taken a gun away from him earlier; he then went to get another gun."

Police closed off Cedarwood Lane and evacuated residents from the dead-end street of one-family homes, setting up a perimeter that stretched onto Haverhill Street (Route 133) to shield surrounding residents from gunfire.

Worried neighbors gathered on Haverhill Street watching the scene unfold.

"I'm trying to think what neighbor it could be," one neighbor said. "You never know with people."

Traffic slowed as vehicles passed Cedarwood Lane, residents calling out to police, asking what was happening.

"Police tried to have a conversation with him and he didn't want to talk and threatened to kill them too," Barker said. "We managed to do some evacuations of the neighborhood and keep the perimeter safe."

SWAT teams set up a command post along the side of Haverhill Street, driving down Cedarwood Lane in a SWAT vehicle holding rifles while other SWAT team members went behind homes on Haverhill Street and into the woods to get to the home.

Cohen at one point was holding a shotgun to himself saying he was going to kill himself and, according to Barker, also pointed the gun at police.

"At one point he did point the gun at the officers," Barker said. "The negotiator got on the phone with him and managed to get him to put down his weapon and come out. At the time he came out he was resisting arrest and was armed."

Barker said no taser was used to subdue Cohen; instead, they did what he called a "hands-on" apprehension of Cohen.

"He was not injured," Barker said.

By the time the first officers arrived at the scene, Cohen's wife had cleared out of the home. She was not injured, Barker said.

Cohen was sent to Anna Jaques Hospital last night for a psychiatric evaluation. Barker said pending the outcome of the examination, bail would be set.

"I'm expecting bail to be high," Barker said. "We will contact the bail commissioner once we have a better view of his status."

Cohen was expected to be arraigned in Newburyport District Court this morning.

Newbury, Georgetown, Ipswich, Newburyport, Groveland, Boxford and Topsfield police responded to the scene.

Cohen was charged with disorderly conduct, four counts of assault, resisting arrest and threat to commit a crime (murder).

Last edited:

Cohen was charged with disorderly conduct, four counts of assault, resisting arrest and threat to commit a crime (murder).

So he holds off swat for two hours, threatens to kill basically everybody, is finally tackled to the ground, and the charges are enough for maybe 100 hours of community service.

Meanwhile, that FOPA kid from CT a few weeks ago, intending no harm at all, is looking at 50 years of hard time.

[The exaggeration is for effect]

What the hell?

So he holds off swat for two hours, threatens to kill basically everybody, is finally tackled to the ground, and the charges are enough for maybe 100 hours of community service.

Meanwhile, that FOPA kid from CT a few weeks ago, intending no harm at all, is looking at 50 years of hard time.

What the hell?

The police created this crime. He shouldn't be charged with anything.

What the hell?

It's MA. Treating criminals like criminals is so 1980. [thinking]

Rowley man barricaded himself in house with a gun.

ROWLEY — The man who was arrested after police say he barricaded himself in his 11 Cedarwood Lane home and threatened to kill himself is being held without bail at Essex County House of Correction after his arraignment yesterday in Newburyport District Court.

http://www.newburyportnews.com/archivesearch/local_story_118003805.html

Pathetic.

If you are going to really blow yourself away, it takes nothing but a few seconds to lock, load, insert muzzle in mouth and pull trigger.

So evidently, all these "barricaded, suicide-threatening" idiots are nothing but drama queens who don't have the balls to actually do what they say they are going to do.

If you really want to commit suicide, STFU and do it already. If not, quit wasting the police's time and money.

so a bunch of people get together and form a SWAT team?

Who sanctions/authorizes this stuff?

It has been asked previously. I am for making the Counties more active. Right now, all of the police chiefs pay for people to attend these council meetings.

They talk about the ineffective County Sh and some of the boobs in Massachsuetts, but it is set a fiefdom to give local chiefs and deny efficiency and responsibility to the people.

bill

If they all just walked away I'm sure the situation would have resolved itself. One way or the other.

So it begs the question(s).

1. Was the perp legally in possession of the firearms he was found with? Do we assume he was because the media didn't report otherwise? Wishful thinking...

2. Regardless of the answer to question 1, the fact the he was suicidal (and according to the article had a recent history of same), shouldn't this disqualify him from legally possessing or having under his control any firearms ? I was asked the question when I applied for a CCW permit.

Once again, the biased media and the inability of the state to enforce the multitude of current firearm laws it has, still reflects the "Guns are evil" attitude. After all, "Look what happens when a lunatic in Rowley gets ahold of one" ….That *gun* could've KILLED someone !!!!!! Let's make MORE laws and have more restrictions that we can't enforce… That'll keep the bad guys from getting guns…. (sarcasm off).

NMLEC...pronounced nimlick...local police departments staff this team based on the size of their department, a percentage of their police force participates in the "regional" SWAT team. They practice annually at Andover Sportsmans Club and have put on demos in breaching buildings, barricaded doors, entry proceedures using flash bangs and suppressed automatic weapons. Pretty cool stuff.

As as far as the guy that was arrested, they charged him with threatening to committ a crime? I didn't realize that talking about it was the same as doing it. Hmmmm, I wonder if the sex with Jennifer Anniston was as good for her as it was for me since I was thinking about her just the other night...[thinking]

Pathetic.

If you are going to really blow yourself away, it takes nothing but a few seconds to lock, load, insert muzzle in mouth and pull trigger.

So evidently, all these "barricaded, suicide-threatening" idiots are nothing but drama queens who don't have the balls to actually do what they say they are going to do.

If you really want to commit suicide, STFU and do it already. If not, quit wasting the police's time and money.

Well, you'll be pleased to know, some of these "idiots" do actually kill themselves. Sometimes they do it alone, sometimes they tragically force a cop into doing it for them, or other times they kill family members or strangers held hostage then turn the gun on themselves. Sometimes all they are trying to get is help as they have run out of the mental capacity to do anything else.

I found your post to be one of the most cold and callous ones to date on NES. You clearly have absolutely no idea of what can drive someone to be in that situation, or what it can take to defuse and bring people out without unnecessary deaths. Psychologically, people can get to the point of absolute desperation where they are not using their higher cognitive functions but are running on fear and sometimes paranoid delusions - People who days / weeks / months before would have laughed at you if you said they would barricade themselves and make such threats.

Admittedly, some situations like this are the result of a botched crime or hold up, sometimes the result of a carefully planned strategy, sometimes they are not. Every situation like this has to be careful examined and treated accordingly.

Assuming this was not a botched crime but a situations that escalated way beyond the perps original intent, I hope you never find yourself in such a situation with someone like me on the other side of the door trying to save your life or the lives of the people in there with you. What would you like me to say through the door or down the phone? Go ahead, drama queen, blow your brains out, we'll all feel much better. Save the tax payers money...

I'm sure your family would thank the hostage negotiators for encouraging the no balls drama queen to off themselves. Job well done....[rolleyes]

Well, you'll be pleased to know, some of these "idiots" do actually kill themselves. Sometimes they do it alone, sometimes they tragically force a cop into doing it for them, or other times they kill family members or strangers held hostage then turn the gun on themselves. Sometimes all they are trying to get is help as they have run out of the mental capacity to do anything else.

I found your post to be one of the most cold and callous ones to date on NES. You clearly have absolutely no idea of what can drive someone to be in that situation, or what it can take to defuse and bring people out without unnecessary deaths. Psychologically, people can get to the point of absolute desperation where they are not using their higher cognitive functions but are running on fear and sometimes paranoid delusions - People who days / weeks / months before would have laughed at you if you said they would barricade themselves and make such threats.

Admittedly, some situations like this are the result of a botched crime or hold up, sometimes the result of a carefully planned strategy, sometimes they are not. Every situation like this has to be careful examined and treated accordingly.

Assuming this was not a botched crime but a situations that escalated way beyond the perps original intent, I hope you never find yourself in such a situation with someone like me on the other side of the door trying to save your life or the lives of the people in there with you. What would you like me to say through the door or down the phone? Go ahead, drama queen, blow your brains out, we'll all feel much better. Save the tax payers money...

I'm sure your family would thank the hostage negotiators for encouraging the no balls drama queen to off themselves. Job well done....[rolleyes]

I'm in one of my evil moods tonight.

I typically wouldn't have taken offense to what Jose said... but this happened in the town I grew up in.

With the exception of maybe a few dozen low-income housing units, people in this town have to be somebody to live here. It's an affluent town, with a stronger sense of community than most people would think feasible in this proximity to a major city.

The address of the incident is on a street 99% of Americans would love to live on. I doubt this man got there by being a POS.

Your post is absolutely correct Negotiator. I hope he gets the help he obviously needs, and I'd hate to know what caused this type of stress to one of my beloved townies.

For anyone interested:

There are a few regional SWAT teams here in MA. They are a collection of officers from various towns in that region to make up a unified team that practices/trains together. The concept behind it, is that all of these towns, too small to fund, maintain, and staff a full time SWAT team, combine resources, each 'donating' a few officers to the cause. The result is that each town has a few officers trained in SWAT tactics for immediate response should something happen in their town, as well as a 'cavalry' so to speak, that would be called should an event occur requiring more manpower.

Without advocating suicide in the slightest, there is the occasional news story where disgruntled _____ shoots up college / workplace / mall / school (circle one), killing 7, before killing himself.

These are the cases where many of us have said something along the lines of "Why couldn't he have done that part first?"

Barring that, yes, get these people the help they need.

For anyone interested:

There are a few regional SWAT teams here in MA. They are a collection of officers from various towns in that region to make up a unified team that practices/trains together. The concept behind it, is that all of these towns, too small to fund, maintain, and staff a full time SWAT team, combine resources, each 'donating' a few officers to the cause. The result is that each town has a few officers trained in SWAT tactics for immediate response should something happen in their town, as well as a 'cavalry' so to speak, that would be called should an event occur requiring more manpower.

I was talking to a State Trooper a few days after this incident and asked him what was going on and such. He made a comment on the SWAT Team that responded to this incident, he said they are a joke and have screwed up many times. Who knows if this is true or not. He said that they didn't even want the State Police STOP Team (states pd's SWAT team) when the state offered it, they only wanted some troopers for traffic. [thinking]

I was talking to a State Trooper a few days after this incident and asked him what was going on and such. He made a comment on the SWAT Team that responded to this incident, he said they are a joke and have screwed up many times. Who knows if this is true or not. He said that they didn't even want the State Police STOP Team (states pd's SWAT team) when the state offered it, they only wanted some troopers for traffic. [thinking]

The State Police hate the law enforcement councils as they feel that they want to monopolize special services and the law enforcement councils are cutting into their specialties and overtime.

If I had my choice I would use the State Police.

Back
Top Bottom