Police Officer's Eye view camera

[video]http://cnn.com/video/?/video/crime/2010/04/16/tsr.todd.police.cam.cnn[/video]

A pretty interesting tool that I think all departments should have.

Last edited:
THat may work for larger framed officers, but for smaller statured officers it could pose a problem as to where and how they are going to carry the cameras computer/screen. I am smaller statured and I can just barely carry the required equipment. In my case there is no way I could carry that also. In Ma you also can not record the audio unless the other person consents, thats why my agency stopped using video camereas in our cruisers- The tapes are almost worthless without audio THe court would only allow the vidoe portion in as evidience.

i don't like to pay for anything that isn't then handed over to me as mine.

but it is certainly a well-intentioned idea to record an entire incident to save time and money in the courts.

I can see the day coming when cops will have to bring a full camera crew,along with an attorney and Supreme court justice with him on every call.It appears that society calls the cops to take care of problems, and then sits back and anylizes every move he makes.If it gets much worse,I can see quality police candidates looking for anything else to do but police work.

I can see the day coming when cops will have to bring a full camera crew,along with an attorney and Supreme court justice with him on every call.It appears that society calls the cops to take care of problems, and then sits back and anylizes every move he makes.If it gets much worse,I can see quality police candidates looking for anything else to do but police work.

Perfectly said!

Overall I like the idea of the cam, but don't like it that an officer can turn it on and off at will. If they want to use it as evidence it should record everything as to prevent abuse, and yes, I know the logistics of such an endeavor.

Overall I like the idea of the cam, but don't like it that an officer can turn it on and off at will. If they want to use it as evidence it should record everything as to prevent abuse, and yes, I know the logistics of such an endeavor.

i disagree. it is poorly designed and just another "gizmo" that can get tangled up in a tussle... she how the guy got the female officers Tazer? -ooooo, but she got it on tape. bla! if they pass all the background checks, get adequete training ect. they should be trusted to make the right decision. -period... this big brother stuff is getting old... kinda like gun control. [laugh]

*disclaimer: I am NOT LE

i disagree. it is poorly designed and just another "gizmo" that can get tangled up in a tussle... she how the guy got the female officers Tazer? -ooooo, but she got it on tape. bla! if they pass all the background checks, get adequete training ect. they should be trusted to make the right decision. -period... this big brother stuff is getting old... kinda like gun control. [laugh]

*disclaimer: I am NOT LE

And when someone steps over the line, put them under the jail.

*disclaimer: I am LE

My concern is that even video capturing everything the officer sees will provide a very convincing viewpoint for the jury of what the officer saw, but for all the reasons of context (more importantly lacking context), it could potentially destroy the objectivity of the jury in looking at the "big picture".

People trust TV more than they should...

It's a double edged sword. It will help limit abuse, but someone innocent is going to get ground up in the gears...

My concern is that even video capturing everything the officer sees will provide a very convincing viewpoint for the jury of what the officer saw, but for all the reasons of context (more importantly lacking context), it could potentially destroy the objectivity of the jury in looking at the "big picture".

It's a double edged sword. It will help limit abuse, but someone innocent is going to get ground up in the gears...

we've been over this before [laugh]

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...AP-source-confirms-video-of-Baghdad-firefight

[rofl]

[wink]

Last edited by a moderator:
i disagree. it is poorly designed and just another "gizmo" that can get tangled up in a tussle...

Yeah, there's options out there like the FirstVu that don't have extra cables and components to avoid the tangling and unnecessary obstruction stinx was mentioning.

I can see the day coming when cops will have to bring a full camera crew,along with an attorney and Supreme court justice with him on every call...

A lot of the benefit of these things comes with contesting what an officer says happens. From the crap the officer has to deal with to the lawsuit costs and time, the video can come in pretty handy since the accusations usually get dropped the second they hear the whole thing was recorded. Frankly, with the wearable cameras, it probably won't even get that far since they'll know they're being recorded better than with in-car cameras. Might even make a few of them think twice about what they're doing at the time.

The Force Science Research Center had a good article on this recently: http://www.policeone.com/legal/articles/2045893-Head-mounted-cameras-in-use-of-force-encounters/

If you think it's a great idea for police officers, how about people who CCW? Make them wear one as well?

I think it's a dumb idea for both, but out of curiosity, since you're comparing the two, which amendment covers the right to be a police officer?

Back
Top Bottom