Police beating of Las Vegas man caught on tape

Legally, he could have resisted. In theory.

In practice, it's good he didn't, much as I think many people would have wanted to fight that arrest--If he had so much as bruised the officer, the tape would have been "destroyed in the struggle," and there would have been credibility to the fairytale of battery.

BS, he deserves the exact same treatment you, I, or anyone else who walked up to the guy and kicked the crap out of him would get. Cuffed & arrested, bail set, trial, convicted, loss of ltc and guns, ect.
Did you miss the part where he said "At the very least..."? I think you're preaching to the choir here.

The officer in question, Derek Colling:
IMG_0091a_t653x653.jpg

He's shot a couple of suspects in the line of duty as well. I think he's just paying back the world for all the times he has his head flushed in a toilet in school.

Just remember, the police are your friends and are there to help you. This is an example of the way the police in general look down upon us serfs, they are above us all and feel as if they can hide behind a couple twisted definitions of some vague laws in order to beat the crap out of people who are not breaking any laws, or for that matter, just being people, with the right to breath and stand on their own public right of way, property or not. Unfortunately, in today's times, this is the rule rather than the exception due to the courts inaction to severely prosecute a**h***s like this and heavily fine the town, police dept and the officer. I truly hope this cop winds up in jail with the rest of the hard core criminals so he can find out what it's like to have his ass beaten into a pulp, on a daily basis, as a reminder.
I hope the victim winds up owning a good chunk of Vegas!!

My father was a cop for 17 years. In all that time on the job, he fired exactly one shot in the line of duty. That incident involved a vending machine robber stealing change out of a Coke machine in a high school, and the thief drew and fired on my dad first.

There were plenty of officers on his department who never fired a single shot in their entire career. There's definitely a "shoot first, ask questions later" atmosphere on the LVPD.

I can't believe that in this age of everybody having a video camera in their pocket, there are still officers blatantly beating people on the streets. These are the power-trippers who are supposed to be weeded out in the psych evals. They give the guys who work the streets to make a difference a bad name, and cost them the trust and respect of the public.

Maybe the LEO could have said nicely, "I am in a bad mood and don't want to play your game, I'm sorry". Then let the beating commence.
The a$$hole wisecracking is only looking for a big payday. A libs dream, battle scars and the fame to go with it.

I would have preferred to see the cop deploy a tazer. Gets me all giggly.

It is a shame the few rotten POS cops make a bad name for good ones. It's too bad, but LEO's are people too. Some are good enough and just do their job, some are exceptional, and then you have this video.

this stuff gets me so pissed off. why not say right from the start he's gonna get him for trespassing? What happened to getting some ID first?
I have no issue with someone catching a few well deserved lumps ..... but this guy did nothing wrong, though he's a dumbass for lying in the first place.

So if the victim said he lived there what would have happened?

The douche bag cop would have tried to make him go inside? Then beat him for not doing so?

I hope he sues the shit out of them.

[frown]
I think that Las Vegas depends upon tourists for their livelihood. If enough people saw this and enough people contacted the city of Las Vegas about it, they might try and do something about these guys.

Even if the guy did not live there he certainly could have had permission of the owners to be there. Might be a friend, neighbor his his mother's house. This guy has a distorted view of "trespassing".

The bastard should be strung up by the balls.

I agree with the notion that a few bad apples are out there. More importantly there are personality types who are drawn to law enforcement to compensate for something in their past. Maybe they were bullied as kids, or had someone dominate them entirely in their lives. Police work gives them power... power that this type can abuse to regain something they lost early in life. Sad actually. But they need to be weeded out. That is not good police work at all.

How the hell can you "Obstruct police business" while in your driveway, half way up your driveway no less and the cop is the one that walks up to you????

Yeah, the guys an idiot for saying he didn't live there but the cop got physical way too fast, he should have asked for ID at LEAST first!

And yeah, the guys head does look like it got flushed a few times..................

I'm not a litigious person.... but I'd gladly take a broken nose and broken camera for the millions of dollars he'll get from this.

Normally I think there's always 2 sides to a story and these "caught on camera" events only show one side, but I can't think of what the cop's "side" could be

Looking forward to the follow up post a couple months from now saying no wrongdoing was done by the officer(s) and they are back on duty.

In MA he has the right to be there without permission even if it's not his property, he could even walk into your open garage and still be OK. Just don't touch anything.

I have a friend who owns a home in Vegas and visits a couple times a year. He tells me police shootings and beating are routine there.

Back
Top Bottom