pocket knives in new hampshire

NH has statewide pre-emption of all knife/gun/ammo laws.

I just found the article about how after the law changed, Evan Nappen got Abe's Awesome Armaments' switchblade inventory returned, minus about 30% shrinkage, legalized theft by the New Hamp*ton police.

All knife laws were taken off the books a few years ago- including autoknives.
That was an important victory, passed only with hard work by a number of organizations, including Knife Rights Inc and AKTI. Knives were deleted from state law, however "the prohibition in RSA 159:16 still holds for blackjacks, slung shots (a weight on the end of a flexible piece of cord or chain) and brass knuckles", so it's not a no-holds-barred rumble.

And yes, "All" means All. We also have statewide preemption, under 2011's HB544. RSA 159:26 was amended such that "Firearms [and], Ammunition, and Knives" are all only to be regulated by the state, all municipal ordinances and regulations relative to the sale, purchase, ownership, use, possession, transportation, licensing, permitting, taxation, or other matter pertaining to firearms, firearm components, ammunition, firearms supplies, or knives are null and void.

Can't ask for better than that.

Last edited:
Any good shops in NH that stock auto knives?

All of them? [laugh]

I know Rileys has a decent selection and Shooters might but I've never looked for them. Kittery Trading Post seems to have a good selection as well. Can't tell you about any other shops cause I haven't visited the others much.

And, there is always the internet...

Thank you. I was making a trip up today and wanted to just verify that my pocket knife was indeed legal to walk around with.

All of them? [laugh]

I know Rileys has a decent selection and Shooters might but I've never looked for them. Kittery Trading Post seems to have a good selection as well. Can't tell you about any other shops cause I haven't visited the others much.

And, there is always the internet...

Shooters does stock auto knives. I do not believe KTP does, being in Maine, but I'm not sure.

It doesn't quite cost an arm and a leg, but it's close.

Many LGS have a few auto knives, usually some cheap ones, maybe Benchmade or Microtech at the high end.

Shooters does stock auto knives. I do not believe KTP does, being in Maine, but I'm not sure.
The price to carry a switchblade in Maine is a bit higher than most people are willing to pay [hmmm]

Back
Top Bottom