Pitted M91 Warhorse is Just Fine, Tikka 1941

Last week I braved the lengthy NICS check and lines of Kittery Trading Post of Maine for a very fairly priced Finnish 1941 Tikka Mosin Nagant M91. At $160, it wasn't going to stay on the rack long, so it came home with me.

TikkaM91_001.JPG

TikkaM91_002.JPG

My favorite finish on a milsurp is of the non-refurbished flavor. This one shows the likely evidence of what was the severe exposure conditions of the Continuation War. The pitting is not deep, but was prevalent enough on the shank that I needed to move near a window in the shop before I could positively identify the Tikka arsenal symbol and the [SA] Finnish Army property stamp.

TikkaM91_004.JPG

TikkaM91_005.JPG

Nothing more specially distinguishing about the infantry long rifle, except possibly that the buttstock was taken from a Soviet made Mosin. The Tula star is still visible on the right rear, and the forestock is spliced with the typical Finn birch. It does have a small tan putty patch that can sometimes be found in other colors - dark gray, green, brown or reddish brown. And it sports an excellently weathered rear sling collar, and two early style barrel bands in good condition.

TikkaM91_009.JPG

TikkaM91_010.JPG

TikkaM91_008.JPG

TikkaM91_006.JPG

TikkaM91_007.JPG

I didn't get a pic, but as a bonus, someone did take the time to scrub and care for a very shiny and sharp bore. The chamber, mag well and bolt were pretty much left crusted in dried cosmo, so it might need a soaking scrub if I do decide to shoot this one. Nice Remington stamp on the cocking knob.

TikkaM91_012.JPG

TikkaM91_011.JPG

Overall, a very solidly constructed warhorse. Thanks for looking.

TikkaM91_002.JPG

TikkaM91_001.JPG

Last edited:
Another good one. It pays to visit Kittery once in a while. I need to head south a little more often. :) Good pick up Martin.

Back
Top Bottom