Pistol to SBR conversion through Class 3 Dealer

I'm trying to figure out the best way of getting myself an SBR'd MP5 clone.

Could a class 3 dealer purchase one in pistol configuration, throw on a stock and then sell it to me as an SBR?

The other option would be to buy as a 16" rifle and then chop the barrel when I get the stamp back.

Suggestions?

Try checking with some of the class 3 dealers. They might already have one. Or at least be able to tell you which is easier/cheaper to do.

I have had good luck with Fine Line Firearms out by Harvard Sportsmen's club.

I believe both are an option. Purchasing as a pistol and having the shop SBR it may be the cheaper option, but you can't bring it home until the Form 1 stamp comes back. Buying the rifle version will let you shoot it right away but then you will need a smith to cut and crown/thread for you.

I believe both are an option. Purchasing as a pistol and having the shop SBR it may be the cheaper option, but you can't bring it home until the Form 1 stamp comes back. Buying the rifle version will let you shoot it right away but then you will need a smith to cut and crown/thread for you.

Is it possible to get the pistol version in MA? Through a dealer that is. On the other side, can you get the carbine version either, or is that on the AWB list?

Have not really looked for either, so not sure.

Is it possible to get the pistol version in MA? Through a dealer that is. On the other side, can you get the carbine version either, or is that on the AWB list?

Have not really looked for either, so not sure.

This would have to be done through a class 3 dealer. I couldn't purchase the pistol as an individual, and they would have to maintain ownership until my stamp clears. I'm fairly certain (although not positive) that they can basically purchase whatever is legal to sell in the US, but can only sell to those who can legally own. I've seen many shops have LEO only sections with new AR's and glocks. If they can get these, I'm sure they can obtain what I'm looking for.

This would have to be done through a class 3 dealer. I couldn't purchase the pistol as an individual, and they would have to maintain ownership until my stamp clears. I'm fairly certain (although not positive) that they can basically purchase whatever is legal to sell in the US, but can only sell to those who can legally own. I've seen many shops have LEO only sections with new AR's and glocks. If they can get these, I'm sure they can obtain what I'm looking for.

You can purchase anything you want person-to-person if both reside in Mass. For example you could buy an SP89 pistol and then complete application to SBR it all while enjoying and shooting it as a pistol. Then when the paperwork comes in you could add a stock, change the barrel, etc.

You don't need a class 3 dealer for any of it.

There's the issue of the US parts as well I believe. I had looked into this very briefly (for the same gun) but never got anywhere.

Would another option be to have the dealer bring it in, convert it to MA legal rifle (pinned stock and shroud, US parts), transfer it, then you go the SBR route when you get around to it?

I thought no more factory SBR’s were allowed in MA?

I think you have to form 1 your own in which case I’m not sure the pistol route is even possible.
While new glocks, etc can still be sold/transferred through dealers you would have to contend with the AWB on a MP5-clone pistol.

Your best bet is probably going the rifle route and, as others have mentioned, check out GFA in Natick.

You can purchase anything you want person-to-person if both reside in Mass. For example you could buy an SP89 pistol and then complete application to SBR it all while enjoying and shooting it as a pistol. Then when the paperwork comes in you could add a stock, change the barrel, etc.

You don't need a class 3 dealer for any of it.

This is not entirely true. The only reason you can purchase an SP89 is because it is a pre-ban pistol. It can be purchased from a private party or dealer.

You cannot purchase a newer SP5K or any model clone from an individual or a dealer because it would violate the AWB.

Buy an mp5 receiver (e.g. Shipping Pistols : Omega 9mm Full Size Barreled Receiver)

Get it transferred to you.

Fill out form 1 application to make an SBR from it.

Wait until application goes through.

Once you have your stamp, engrave the receiver with your name and location, add the parts to complete the gun, have fun!

Thats something I haven't considered....
Is the only part missing a fire control group and stock?

This is not entirely true. The only reason you can purchase an SP89 is because it is a pre-ban pistol. It can be purchased from a private party or dealer.

You cannot purchase a newer SP5K or any model clone from an individual or a dealer because it would violate the AWB.

Pistols are not covered by the AWB only rifles. For example, if you move in to Mass with and SP5K you may legally sell it to anyone in the Commiewealth.

Pistols are not covered by the AWB only rifles. For example, if you move in to Mass with and SP5K you may legally sell it to anyone in the Commiewealth.

Please don't mislead people.

a semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of--

(i) an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;
(ii) a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip,
or silencer;
(iii) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits
the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned;
(iv) a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and
(v) a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm; and

"Assault Weapon" Info | Massachusetts | GOAL

I stand corrected, thank you. However, you can still transfer anything person-to-person in Mass.

And you can move into the state with anything you want.

I stand corrected, thank you. However, you can still transfer anything person-to-person in Mass.

No. This is totally incorrect. Please stop telling people they can do things that are in fact felonies. The Assault Weapons ban is in effect. If the pistol has two or more of the five features tested for a pistol and is an AW you cannot possess it in MA period.

You are confusing MA compliance on handguns. You can own any handgun that is not an AW or full auto. You can bring it into the state when you move and do personal transfers of it. This is relevant because a dealer can not sell or transfer it to you. BUT if the handgun is an AW it is just plane illegal to own or transfer, no exceptions without a MA Dealers license or law enforcement ID. Pre September 13, 1994 is the cutoff for preban. Pre that date it is also not an AW.

Ar and ak pistols. Mp5 and clones. Cz scorpions, etc. these all qualify as assault weapons and you cannot posses (unless preban, you are MA Dealer or LEO)

Transferring AK SBR in MA

Read this thread. Dealers and SBRs are a problem. If you want an SBR you will need to go the form 1 route. Along the way be careful to not run afoul of the AW ban by possessing all the parts of a pistol AW or full size AW. It is possible to legally navigate this but you have to understand the law.

For example, only owning the item that is the serialized federal firearm that you will ultimately build into an SBR until you get your tax stamp might be a smart approach. You have the info to file a form 1. you don’t possess a device capable of discharging a projectile (even constructively. Don’t have all the parts) so dont have a weapon by MA law.

When you get the form one acquire the rest of the parts you need to do the build.

No. This is totally incorrect. Please stop telling people they can do things that are in fact felonies. The Assault Weapons ban is in effect. If the pistol has two or more of the five features tested for a pistol and is an AW you cannot possess it in MA period.

You are confusing MA compliance on handguns. You can own any handgun that is not an AW or full auto. You can bring it into the state when you move and do personal transfers of it. This is relevant because a dealer can not sell or transfer it to you. BUT if the handgun is an AW it is just plane illegal to own or transfer, no exceptions without a MA Dealers license or law enforcement ID. Pre September 13, 1994 is the cutoff for preban. Pre that date it is also not an AW.

Ar and ak pistols. Mp5 and clones. Cz scorpions, etc. these all qualify as assault weapons and you cannot posses (unless preban, you are MA Dealer or LEO)

Then you must believe all post 94 ARs are illegal to own too? Covered by the same language.

Then you must believe all post 94 ARs are illegal to own too? Covered by the same language.
Read more carefully. Post 94 ARs is political reinterpretation to achieve an agenda and I believe will ultimately fail in court. Post 94 pistols with two or more features is black and white, the law, and consistent with how the federal law was written and interpreted since 1994. I don’t LIKE the law, but it is not grey. Owning a AR pistol in MA whether brought in when you moved, built, or purchased here opens you up to a felony charge for which you have no defense.

This is not about dictator Healy’s enforcement notice but about the actual law.

I have had customers with pistol AWs that dealers have sold them. For whatever reason people find this hard to comprehend. I have been yelled at by someone when I told them they had an AW. “A dealer sold it to me, it must be legal”

Read the law. Protect yourself. Don’t rely on others when it is your freedom we are talking about.

DONT give people incorrect legal advice when you don’t know what you are talking about

CrackPot in spirit we agree but the language does not support your hypothesis that rifle form of AW is OK but pistol form is not.

Rifle AWs are not ok if they fail the feature test. I am not referring to the Healy enforcement notice reinterpretation crap. I am talking the black and white law. Pistol or rifle, they each have their own feature list. If you have too many features it is an AW. Period. Healy went further and will lose. I am not talking about Healy.

Don’t possess a post 94 two plus feature pistol and think it is safe and somehow related to Healy bullshit or other emotional nonsense.

Read. Comprehend. Don’t spout crap.

I think you should read up on the laws regarding which semi-auto pistols are considered AW’s. I believe there is a cite above. It basically includes anything made after 1994 with a magazine that attaches outside the pistol grip (all mp5 clones, sig mpx, evo scorpion, etc).

It does not matter if you previously owned them in another state (unless like in the case of the SP89 it was made prior to 1994)

And you certainly cannot transfer “anything” person to person in MA or move into the state with anything you want. That is terrible info to be spreading.

CrackPot in spirit we agree but the language does not support your hypothesis that rifle form of AW is OK but pistol form is not.

Sorry, but you're just flat-out wrong, and nobody should listen to your advice.

According to the black-and-white letter of the law of the "feature test" portion of the AWB, a post-ban AR-style rifle is fine as long as it doesn't have two or more of the "evil features" for a rifle.

Similarly, a post-ban pistol is fine as long as it doesn't have two or more of the "evil features" for a pistol. Note that the list of features for a pistol is different from that for a rifle.

The issue is that for pistols like Scorpions, AR pistols, MP5-style pistols, Sig MPX pistols, and others like them, they are basically guaranteed to run afoul of the feature test. As a reminder, here is the pistol feature test:
------
a semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of--

(i) an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;
(ii) a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip,
or silencer;
(iii) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits
(iv) a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and
------
A typical MP5-style pistol meets (i), (iii), (iv), and (v), so it's definitely an AW according to the feature test.

Sorry, but you're just flat-out wrong, and nobody should listen to your advice.

According to the black-and-white letter of the law of the "feature test" portion of the AWB, a post-ban AR-style rifle is fine as long as it doesn't have two or more of the "evil features" for a rifle.

Similarly, a post-ban pistol is fine as long as it doesn't have two or more of the "evil features" for a pistol. Note that the list of features for a pistol is different from that for a rifle.

The issue is that for pistols like Scorpions, AR pistols, MP5-style pistols, Sig MPX pistols, and others like them, they are basically guaranteed to run afoul of the feature test. As a reminder, here is the pistol feature test:
------

or silencer;
------
A typical MP5-style pistol meets (i), (iii), (iv), and (v), so it's definitely an AW according to the feature test.

The pistol AWB has some edge cases people don’t think about. While a threaded barrel is a feature it is usually just one of five and safe. A couple times it becomes number two. Don’t add a threaded barrel to a Glock 17. The 17 is a copy of the fully automatic Glock 18. That would make two features if you counted strictly.

Also don’t add a threaded barrel to your Desert Eagle. It has a manufactured weight of between 53 and 60 ounces depending on the model.

There other examples. The pistol AWB can catch you by surprise.

The pistol AWB has some edge cases people don’t think about. While a threaded barrel is a feature it is usually just one of five and safe. A couple times it becomes number two. Don’t add a threaded barrel to a Glock 17. The 17 is a copy of the fully automatic Glock 18. That would make two features if you counted strictly.

Also don’t add a threaded barrel to your Desert Eagle. It has a manufactured weight of between 53 and 60 ounces depending on the model.

There other examples. The pistol AWB can catch you by surprise.

I would argue that a Glock 17 is not a copy of a Glock 18 because the 17 came first.

Back
Top Bottom