Pirates attack Maserk Alabama again, but....

The problem is simple hire Blackwater or a similar outfit that will pick them off from 300 yrds out.

The problem is simple hire Blackwater or a similar outfit that will pick them off from 300 yrds out.

Its already been done. Blackwater is no more, its now Xe. But they arnt the ones working off the Horn of Africa.

That would require three things our current Commander In Chief lacks.

1) Love for his country and its citizens above all else.

2) Common sense.

3) Testicles.

First, another fellow alum of Mass Maritime gives me a reason to be proud of the place.

Thanks to Capt. Paul Rochford for making Mass Maritime look like it must of done something right. Since this is somewhat of a repeat performance, maybe it has done something right. I think so.

Although I never was a fan of the now Admiral Gurnon while he was Commandant and I was at MMA, his words sound good to me now and seven months ago. Can you think of another institution of higher learning that has a President or any official to say that the good guys being armed made a difference. He said: “The good thing here is that there were lessons learned. . . . The pirates quickly realized this was an armed vessel, which presented a very different challenge.”

Finally, a very-well regarded harbor pilot once told what he thought it took to do that or any ship-handling job well: "Some common sense and a set of balls." His statement was correct for many more jobs than those involving ship-handling.

First, another fellow alum of Mass Maritime gives me a reason to be proud of the place.

Thanks to Capt. Paul Rochford for making Mass Maritime look like it must of done something right. Since this is somewhat of a repeat performance, maybe it has done something right. I think so.

Although I never was a fan of the now Admiral Gurnon while he was Commandant and I was at MMA, his words sound good to me now and seven months ago. Can you think of another institution of higher learning that has a President or any official to say that the good guys being armed made a difference. He said: “The good thing here is that there were lessons learned. . . . The pirates quickly realized this was an armed vessel, which presented a very different challenge.”

Finally, a very-well regarded harbor pilot once told what he thought it took to do that or any ship-handling job well: "Some common sense and a set of balls." His statement was correct for many more jobs than those involving ship-handling.

MMA does a good job preparing it's grads to succeed in just about anything they do. Gurnon never seemed to interested in being popular, just in getting the job done.

MMA does a good job preparing it's grads to succeed in just about anything they do. Gurnon never seemed to interested in being popular, just in getting the job done.

With regard the first sentence, I agree.

With regard to the second sentence, I think almost anyone who take the role of being in charge of the disciplinary system of a maritime academy is generally not going to be well-regarded by the students of that academy. The students and alums are all about getting the job done, sometimes without regard to rules. It would be difficult to educate people to be as independent as ship's officers need to be and also have them be sheeple when it comes to disciplinary rules. So, as Commandant he had an impossible job to perform without being disliked. I've not been around much to see how he performs as President, but when he's been in the news this year, he's done very well.

I'll shut up now or the liberals in the Mass government will want to shut the place down.

I'll shut up now or the liberals in the Mass government will want to shut the place down.

That's okay....the Parent's Assoc. is already doing a pretty good job of it.

As for the officers at school, I'm going to decline comment, as I KNOW some of them spend a lot of time perusing the interwebs for things cadets put online.

It's time for all these shipping companies operating in foreign waters to step up to the plate and provide their own maritime security. Our military has enough on their plates. A few, maybe 3, well trained individuals with the right gear can put and end to this party. Kill those shitbags before they even get near the vessel.

Not true, the UK and Germany have sizeable forces in Afghanistan, the 2nd and 3rd biggest contingent after the U.S.
...and our sailors are not out in the Indian Ocean for vacation, that's for sure !
Germany has about 4,000 troops, mostly in the peaceful North. The UK has about 8,000. Several other NATO countries have agreed to provide 5,000 in total.

The US has approximately 68,000 troops there. So you have a uniquely European opinion of what "Pulling your weight" means.

The last report I saw was that two German warships and four support vessels are patrolling in the region where Somali pirates are operating.

hell....considering the idiots tried taking the french flagship a few months ago, even if you paraded blatantly military ships around, they'd attack em eventually, which they'd probably regret real soon after doing it.

hell....considering the idiots tried taking the french flagship a few months ago, even if you paraded blatantly military ships around, they'd attack em eventually, which they'd probably regret real soon after doing it.

That's fine. As soon as they get near ANY US military vessel, in open waters -- we need to start whacking these idiots,, then it will stop. We need to stop playing patty cakes with these shitbags. Hit'em hard and continue to hit them until they decide to pursue other means of employment. [wink]

I've never understood the hesitance on the part of a U.S. President (anD I include the last three) to go after piracy wherever it is and damn the torpedoes.

It's one of the very few areas where blatant punitive missions are authorized by long-standing international law and our own history and tradition.

I'd arm every US-flagged vessel going thru hostile waters with 8 Marines with all the weapons they wanted and blasted the living sh*t out of the towns we know these pirates operate from.

It's been a while, but it's well worth being said again:

"MILLIONS FOR DEFENSE. NOT ONE PENNY FOR TRIBUTE!"

I've never understood the hesitance on the part of a U.S. President (an I include the last three) to go after piracy wherever it is and damn the torpedoes.

It's one of the very few areas where blatant punitive missions are authorized by long-standing international law and our own history and tradition.

I'd arm every US-flagged vessel going thru hostile waters with 8 Marines with all the weapons they wanted and blasted the living shit out of the towns we know these pirates operate from.

M

100% agree.

I've never understood the hesitance on the part of a U.S. President (anD I include the last three) to go after piracy wherever it is and damn the torpedoes.

I'd arm every US-flagged vessel going thru hostile waters with 8 Marines with all the weapons they wanted and blasted the living sh*t out of the towns we know these pirates operate from.

"MILLIONS FOR DEFENSE. NOT ONE PENNY FOR TRIBUTE!"

Yup.

Back
Top Bottom