Pins: Best Calibers

Hello everyone: I'm new to the forum and newer still to pin shooting. I shot two matches at Chester last year and did poorly with a Sig 226 in .40 S&W. I did shoot a .357 magnum in the revolver class and found it to move pins much better. Both rounds have about the same power factor and energy numbers. What gives? The magnum revolver was loaded with factory Federal 158 softpoints (6" gun) and the auto pistol was shooting Gold Dots of - I think - 155 grains. Again, factory full power ammo. I feel that I group the same with both guns at 30 feet. What are your thoughts on these two rounds for pins.

Thanks for any help.
Sydney

I shoot both calibers...a G23 and an S&W 586 magnaported. The SW even with full loads has far less recoil than the glock. I had FMJ 165g in the G23 and 155g silvertips in the Smith.
Either load took them right off the table with a direct hit.

30 Years of Pin Shooting

And I can tell you that pins are not easy targets. The kill zone is about the size of a 12-ounce soft-drink can, and they weigh 3 and a half pounds. Factor in the debris on the tables, and the pins getting heavier and more abused during the match, I have the substantiated opinion that the minimum reliable pin killing ammo are power factor 215 bullets that go into the pin and stay there. One shot, one pin has always been the way to go.

My standard pin load in .45ACP is a 253gr SWC @ 850 FPS. That is PF 215.

In .44 Magnum, I use a 212gr wadcutter @ 1150 FPS. That is PF 243. Last year at Chester, I had a pin hit dead-center with this load stay on the back edge of the table. Pins are so unpredictable!

Last edited:
Palladin and otasan: I just found this forum the other day and have noticed that you two guys (assuming you're male) seem to be involved in the pin shoots at Chester and Country Pond. I shot at two shoots last year up at Chester. I did not shoot at Country Pond last year because I was not aware of the shoots. I did, however, shoot at the last indoor pin shoot at Country Pond. Just found out about them. Those two clubs have roughly the same format with Country Pond restricting revolvers to six shots only. I think you can use eight shot revolvers at Chester. Neither club times separate shooters - it's a contest of total pin fall with shootoffs to determine winners. Are there any clubs around that use the classic timed format to determine winners? I just moved here (Exeter) from Arizona and I only shot rifle silhouette out West. I'm really more of a rifle shooter. Have only started shooting handguns since coming East. The total pin fall style of pin shooting is familiar to me because it is just like the rifle contests I've shot in before. Still, I would like to be timed for 5 pins some time.

Thanks, Sydney

Timed Pin Shoots

Are at the Mass Rifle Club in Woburn, MA. Every other pin shoot I have seen in New England is man-on-man or total pins.

.40 S&W 155gr GDHP

Is likely doing 1200 FPS or less out of your P226. The 158gr .357 Magnum soft-point is likely to be doing 1200FPS or better out of your 6-inch barrel. So the .357 Magnum is only slightly more potent than the .40 S&W.

What made the difference in your pin shooting was likely the sectional density, which is significantly higher in the .357. This allows the bullet to penetrate better into the tough bowling pin. The 155gr .40 S&W is more likely to bounce back out of the pin - underpenetrate.

I shoot a 255 gr long colt bullet out of my S&W625 45 ACP and a 230 gr bullet out of my 357 - both are exceptional pin busters. Both power factor in at +215

Last edited:
230 grain in .357?

CRR: I've never heard of bullets so heavy in a .38 caliber (.357) gun. What kind of speed can you get?

Sydney

CRR: I've never heard of bullets so heavy in a .38 caliber (.357) gun. What kind of speed can you get?

Sydney

Not CCR but I can comment,
The 230 grn "logs" (they look like a slug of lead before it gets swaged into
a roundnose bullet) are a reloading option only as I don't think anyone
loads these for sale.
They were loaded to 900-1000 fps using 38 spcl brass and only shot in
357 mag guns.
I have a few K left that I save for old times sake, heck I could melt one
down and make 2.5 steel shooting bullets [smile]

Sydney

I am using Blue Dot and get about 950 fps. A buddy of mine gets just under a 1000 - but that too high for me. The bullet looks like a wadcutter. I use 357 cases, I'm cautious on the load because my wheel gun is an eight shot and the cylinder walls are slightly thinner than usual.

Long pistol bullets

Thanks for the info on the 230s, men. I'm more of a rifle shooter and reload for several calibers. I would be curious to see what kind of accuracy 230s would maintain at longer distances (100-200 yards) where bullet stabilty and twist rates come into play. I have a feeling that what's fine at 30 feet might start to corkscrew or tumble over longer range. I know the 230s are probably meant strictly for pins, I'd just love to play with some at woodchuck distances. My guess would be you'd need a barrel twist of at least 12 to 1. I think my S&W 686 is 16-18 to 1. Somewhere around there. Any thoughts on this subject of no practical worth?

Sydney

Thanks for the info on the 230s, men. I'm more of a rifle shooter and reload for several calibers. I would be curious to see what kind of accuracy 230s would maintain at longer distances (100-200 yards) where bullet stabilty and twist rates come into play. I have a feeling that what's fine at 30 feet might start to corkscrew or tumble over longer range. I know the 230s are probably meant strictly for pins, I'd just love to play with some at woodchuck distances. My guess would be you'd need a barrel twist of at least 12 to 1. I think my S&W 686 is 16-18 to 1. Somewhere around there. Any thoughts on this subject of no practical worth?

Sydney

I knew a gent who used his 230 log load to shoot a chuck or 2 out to I'd say
50-60 yards, least that's the story he told me.
If your going to be at the next MRA 25 steel shoot I'll bring a handful with me,
if your loading single stage for the rifle you could get a cheap set of dies and
play around if you want.
Someone posted here I believe that National or Penn bullets still carries these.
I doubt they'd function in a lever gun but you could single load 'em.

I've never tried them myself in the hand gun, might have to see what happens
sometime this summer if I get a chance.

20Apr08

Palladin and otasan: I just found this forum the other day and have noticed that you two guys (assuming you're male) seem to be involved in the pin shoots at Chester and Country Pond. I shot at two shoots last year up at Chester. I did not shoot at Country Pond last year because I was not aware of the shoots. I did, however, shoot at the last indoor pin shoot at Country Pond. Just found out about them. Those two clubs have roughly the same format with Country Pond restricting revolvers to six shots only. I think you can use eight shot revolvers at Chester. Neither club times separate shooters - it's a contest of total pin fall with shootoffs to determine winners. Are there any clubs around that use the classic timed format to determine winners? I just moved here (Exeter) from Arizona and I only shot rifle silhouette out West. I'm really more of a rifle shooter. Have only started shooting handguns since coming East. The total pin fall style of pin shooting is familiar to me because it is just like the rifle contests I've shot in before. Still, I would like to be timed for 5 pins some time.

Thanks, Sydney

It just occurred to me to mention that anyone with a timer can individually time you at Chester/Country Pond or anywhere that there are 5-pin tables with three feet of table surface behind the pins. Heck, come to Chester 20Apr08 and I'll time you!

Back
Top Bottom