• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pinned and Welded

Random question,
I see that guns with muzzle brakes sold in MA are advertised as having them 'pinned and welded' Are they actually pinned AND welded? Wouldn't just welding it be enough?

"Blind Pin" means drill the muzzle device and barrel, from the side, insert a pin, then weld over the pin and hole.

Silver solder with a melting point of 1100* or over around the circumference is another acceptable method.

These are ATF standards.

Right, I get the muzzle brake thing. Stupid but I can live with it. But the pinned and welded stock is even more absurd - because a rifle is perfectly safe if it is two inches shorter or two inches longer. It just isn't allowed to be both. Children will die just looking at it.

Which is why in MA we are forced to own multiple ARs with various length stocks - one for the husband, one that fits the wife, one for the kids. Owning just one with an adjustable stock that can be used by every one is just plain silly and way too dangerous. That is the brilliant logic of your elected officials.

Plus, three is better than one any way.

Last edited:
Random question,
I see that guns with muzzle brakes sold in MA are advertised as having them 'pinned and welded' Are they actually pinned AND welded? Wouldn't just welding it be enough?

There's no "permanently attached" test under MGL so people often use the "commonly accepted ATF standard " (which is pinned and welded). Also if a brake/fh is on a 14.5in barrel it needs to be pinned and welded to avoid making an illegal SBR (assuming the totality of the thing comes out to 16". ) but thats a fed issue.

-Mike

Its easier and less stress on the barrel to drill/inset a pin and weld the end. All you need is a spot as opposed to welding all the way around as Knicks mentioned.

That, and its way easier to destroy the brake and put something else on there without ruining the whole thing in
the process, if you wanted to change it.

-Mike

Im shock as part of her reinterpretation, she didnt go once threaded, always threaded and that regardless of pinned and welded.. its still a threaded barrel.

"Dont give her ideas" i know, i know......

Im shock as part of her reinterpretation, she didnt go once threaded, always threaded and that regardless of pinned and welded.. its still a threaded barrel.

"Dont give her ideas" i know, i know......

She actually did just that.

She believes if a rifle is "born" with that configuration, it has it for ever. Pinning a folding stock is still a "folding stock" even though it can't fold, in her eyes. Removing it and putting a fixed stock is still a violation of the AWB in her eyes, as is cutting off a bayonet lug, or the threaded portion of a barrel.

She believes if a rifle is "born" with that configuration, it has it for ever. Pinning a folding stock is still a "folding stock" even though it can't fold, in her eyes. Removing it and putting a fixed stock is still a violation of the AWB in her eyes, as is cutting off a bayonet lug, or the threaded portion of a barrel.

Which is funny because per her own definition a Mini-14 or M1A can't ever be in violation of the AWB.
Q: Are there examples or categories of weapons that are not assault weapons?
  • Any Ruger Mini 14 or substantially-similar model weapon;
  • Any Springfield Armory M1A or substantially similar model weapon;

I love it when a plan comes to together
Mini-14-223-a-team.jpg

Yeah but for the sake of argument lets assume the OP is asking about the real law (MGL) and not the Maura Shithead Fantasyland stuff. That isn't even worth talking about, just adds confusion (at least in this context) for little real value. Not to mention she can change her mind tomorrow and it'll be something different... because her BS actually isn't based on the law.

Right, I get the muzzle brake thing. Stupid but I can live with it. But the pinned and welded stock is even more absurd - because a rifle is perfectly safe if it is two inches shorter or two inches longer.

it's the typical thing with liberals, they think criminals will be flumoxed by their stupid laws. Like they really want to go shootup a mall, but they're worried they might be caught while doing it with a folding stock.

Which is funny because per her own definition a Mini-14 or M1A can't ever be in violation of the AWB.

Clearly all mini-14s need a folding stock now and all M1As need to be replaced with VLTOR pistol grip chassis (or similar style) so we can all have completely not AWB rifles that have all the features!

She actually did just that.

If you just turned down the muzzle on a lathe, removing the threads, but leaving the OA length the same (16") , that seems like it would make an evil AR barrel legal in MA..?.

If you just turned down the muzzle on a lathe, removing the threads, but leaving the OA length the same (16") , that seems like it would make an evil AR barrel legal in MA..?.

Sounds like a great way to f*** up a perfectly good barrel, but sure, give it a try if you really want. Can't really be threaded if there are no threads.

Yeah, but that requires way more labor/tooling to do than just P&Wing a cheap muzzle device.

-Mike

Yeah, but that requires way more labor/tooling to do than just P&Wing a cheap muzzle device.

-Mike

I thought the AG would still call it a copy/duplicate at that point? Same with an A2 stock, or a no-lug gas block. Based on her made up compatibility and similarity tests.

I thought the AG would still call it a copy/duplicate at that point? Same with an A2 stock, or a no-lug gas block. Based on her made up compatibility and similarity tests.

Yes, nevermind.... I forget we were discussing healey fantasyland laws....

-Mike
Yeah, your right. I'm going to settle for a cheap thread protector (should protect the crown) and pin-n-weld it on.. It should look a little better than a thin turned-down numb.
And maybe someday when I move to Texas, I might still have enough undamaged thread to install whatever muzzle device is available when I'm 80 or 90..

Back
Top Bottom