• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pics from HSC's Biathlon

colt_fan

NES Member
The sport of Biathlon does exist in MA, although it's still grassroots. But we all have to start somewhere. It's a great event that really tests your shooting skill and physical fitness.

DSC_0986.jpg

DSC_0990.jpg

This side of the rack had the serious competitors.
DSC_0993.jpg

DSC_1000.jpg

DSC_0984.jpg

DSC_1014.jpg

DSC_1024.jpg

DSC_1027.jpg

DSC_1034.jpg

DSC_1043.jpg

DSC_1045-1.jpg

DSC_1062.jpg

That looks awesome! Was this for HSC members only? I would love to do that next year. Any idea how long the running part was? 5K?

Thanks for posting!

That looks awesome! Was this for HSC members only? I would love to do that next year. Any idea how long the running part was? 5K?

Thanks for posting!

All our welcome to race, the run distance is 4k and if you get penalties you'll run 5k. Shoot me a PM with your email address and I can add you to the email list. But here are the details for the upcoming races at Harvard.

Saturday, 27-Jun-2009
Saturday, 25-Jul-2009
Saturday, 01-Aug-2009

Start time for MA & NH 10:30 a.m.
Sight-in 9:15 to 10:15 a.m.
Registration 8:30 to 9:30 a.m.

HSC Members $15.00 for all 3
Non-members $15.00 for 1-event / $30.00 for all 3

The Fri night before the events we set up and you can get in some extra practice time. The rifles used are all bolt action .22, they can be magazine fed.

Wow, looks like a lot of fun.

Dumb question though: you don't have to run with the rifle like they do when they ski????

In summer Biathlon for running, rifles are racked by the firing line. You enter a transition area which is a walking zone only. Pick up your rifle by the barrel off the rack and carry itto your point. When you are done insert a safety flag into the chamber before returning the rifle to the rack.

The format of the event is run, prone, run, offhand and run. A penalty look of 100 meters is given for every missed target.

Looks like everyone had fun. Yet another reason I love HSC.

I have my own personal "mon-athlon" every time I go shooting... [laugh]
p.s. does breathing in slowly when I squeeze the trigger count as "cardio?" [wink]

The ammo boxes count as freeweights!

We've done work at HSC to improve handicapped accessibility and are planning more. Just out of curiosity, have you ever had a handicapped competitor? I was 1 of the people at the sub machinegun match. It's great to be a member of a club with such diversity. Keep up the good work.

Probably 15 years ago I did a biathalon at HSC that was a combination of mountain biking and pistol shooting. It was raining that day, which complicated things. I had borrowed a mountain bike and wasn't much of a biker - I went over the handlebars twice and lost a chain once. By the time I got to the shooting my glasses had fogged up so much I couldn't see the targets.

My score was terrible but all in all it was a blast. I wasn't going to repeat until I learned how to stay on my bike. In the meantime I've found other shooting sports that have managed to keep me away... :)

Have many of the Biathletes gone through an Appleseed?

Looking at some of the prone positions, I would bet many of them could improve their scores by attending an Appleseed.....

We've done work at HSC to improve handicapped accessibility and are planning more. Just out of curiosity, have you ever had a handicapped competitor? I was 1 of the people at the sub machinegun match. It's great to be a member of a club with such diversity. Keep up the good work.

Not too my knowledge, but the course is friendly enough for a person to use a wheelchair. It just goes on the roads around the club.

Have many of the Biathletes gone through an Appleseed?

Looking at some of the prone positions, I would bet many of them could improve their scores by attending an Appleseed.....

I'm sure most of them have not gone to an Appleseed though. The positioning is slightly different, but going to an Appleseed would help for them.

Probably 15 years ago I did a biathalon at HSC that was a combination of mountain biking and pistol shooting. It was raining that day, which complicated things. I had borrowed a mountain bike and wasn't much of a biker - I went over the handlebars twice and lost a chain once. By the time I got to the shooting my glasses had fogged up so much I couldn't see the targets.

My score was terrible but all in all it was a blast. I wasn't going to repeat until I learned how to stay on my bike. In the meantime I've found other shooting sports that have managed to keep me away... :)

Come on back, I asked Dan Hurley about a Mountain Bike one for the fall. You'll notice that he has cycling stickers on his big white van and he is an accomplished racer. Do you remember where you rode when you did it?

This is definately something I would like to try, do they have club riffles to rent?

Steve

HSC has 7 loaner rifles that can be used if you do not own your own bolt action 22lr. Ammo used must be subsonic, but we will supply that if you are using a club rifle.

Come on back, I asked Dan Hurley about a Mountain Bike one for the fall. You'll notice that he has cycling stickers on his big white van and he is an accomplished racer. Do you remember where you rode when you did it?

I've decided that I'm a road biker, not a trail biker. It's better for my health. [wink] I don't know the layout of the club too well but I'm pretty sure that it was 2 laps. One part of the course was riding a trail thru the woods, across a slope that dropped down to a pond. There were some gnarly roots on that trail that were the cause of one of my acrobatic adventures over the handle bars.

These days IDPA and CAS are more my speed. I've been meaning to give them a try again.

All four of the competition targets shown in the photos in this thread were provided by a grant from the NRA Foundation. The three smaller practice targets, plus any taxes and shipping charges were paid by Harvard Sportsmen's Club. It's important to give credit to the financial backers of this exciting program.

Back
Top Bottom