Picked up a K31, front sight help?

Okay cool. I hadn't seem those target sights before. Just googled them, really nice.

I really really hope that sight tool I bought will be able to adjust my front sight. If it can't, I don't know what else to do.

Only advice I can give you is more times than not a stubborn part doesn't need "heavy" blows.
You need a secure way to hold the rifle from moving or the muzzle up against a hard derlin block , very hard wood oak and or a lead block. Then a smart square hit should get it loose. The sight pusher will make small movements easier when trying to zero.

Only advice I can give you is more times than not a stubborn part doesn't need "heavy" blows.
You need a secure way to hold the rifle from moving or the muzzle up against a hard derlin block , very hard wood oak and or a lead block. Then a smart square hit should get it loose. The sight pusher will make small movements easier when trying to zero.

I had it up against a wood block against my basement wall and then tried to hit it as square as I could. So frustrating as this rifle is stupid accurate but I have to compensate for the windage. Hopefully that sight tool from Canada will be here this week.

Okay I give up. This f***** front sight must be welded in place. I got this cheap homemade K31 front sight tool on eBay and it will not budge the sight at all. Just marred the post even more.

This is beyond frustrating as I love how accurate this rifle is but can't adjust the front sight.

Does anyone know a gunsmith to fix this damn thing? I'm willing to pay lol. What else can I try? Using a blowtorch or hairdryer to heat it up then smack it? I know you guys said it appears to be staked but is there an easy way to remove that?

View attachment 149848View attachment 149849

I don't think your staking is holding you back. I would clean the bejeez out of the front sight dovetail.
Then soak for a few days in a penetrating oil. Then try driving it in the opposite direction you have tried.... with some wood blocks I would try putting it in a vise.

I don't think your staking is holding you back. I would clean the bejeez out of the front sight dovetail.
Then soak for a few days in a penetrating oil. Then try driving it in the opposite direction you have tried.... with some wood blocks I would try putting it in a vise.

I could try soaking it in WD40? That's all I have for penetrating oil lol. I also tried moving it in the opposite direction too with no luck.

- - - Updated - - -

Might have to chat with him. Thanks.

Wish I just bought a K31 from one of the online vendors. I don't think the guy I bought it from on NES was aware of the sight being off. Even if he did, he probably assumed it could easily be drifted in place.

Sorry your having problems, this rifle came from Aim, I purchased 10 for a group buy and saved that one for me. You're right, I never gave much thought about the front site.

I just lost my job but if you can wait a few weeks I will give you your money back even after you whacked the crap out of the front site (your words). Just let me know if that's what you want to do.

Last edited:
Sorry your having problems, this rifle came from Aim, I purchased 10 for a group buy and saved that one for me. You're right, I never gave much thought about the front site.

I just lost my job but if you can wait a few weeks I will give you your money back even after you whacked the crap out of the front site (your words). Just let me know if that's what you want to do.

No that's not necessary Tom although I appreciate you standing behind your sales! Hard to come by nowadays. It's a 70-year-old rifle so it's the luck of the draw with the sights when you get them from a vendor.

Sorry to hear about your recent job loss :-(
If you have any more ammo I'd gladly buy that from you to help get you some cash

Update: I brought the K31 to Steve at Northeast Arms in Peabody and they were able to move the front site after using a lot of heat and better quality punches than I had! So pumped! They didn't even charge me anything for the work. He also cleaned up the burrs from me whacking the crap out of it. Now if I can get the range before dark I'll post a range update.

Last edited:
No that's not necessary Tom although I appreciate you standing behind your sales! Hard to come by nowadays. It's a 70-year-old rifle so it's the luck of the draw with the sights when you get them from a vendor.

Sorry to hear about your recent job loss :-(
If you have any more ammo I'd gladly buy that from you to help get you some cash

Update: I brought the K31 to Steve at Northeast Arms in Peabody and they were able to move the front site after using a lot of heat and better quality punches than I had! So pumped! They didn't even charge me anything for the work. He also cleaned up the burrs from me whacking the crap out of it. Now if I can get the range before dark I'll post a range update.

There are huge differences in punches. I have 2 brass drifts from my dad they are awesome. The tips don't give out like the ones in the "gunsmith" kits. Did you get to watch them do it?
Heat helps. I never use more than a heat gun or a soldering iron to loosen stuff up. I bet there was some grit and grim lodged in the "dovetail" area and just bound things up.
Hopefully now your front sight tool will work for minor adjustments at the range.

Excellent!! Steve is a great guy, I knew he'd help you out. Can't say enough good about him!

There are huge differences in punches. I have 2 brass drifts from my dad they are awesome. The tips don't give out like the ones in the "gunsmith" kits. Did you get to watch them do it?
Heat helps. I never use more than a heat gun or a soldering iron to loosen stuff up. I bet there was some grit and grim lodged in the "dovetail" area and just bound things up.
Hopefully now your front sight tool will work for minor adjustments at the range.

Yeah I showed them the cheap punches I was using and they're like ya you'll never get anywhere with those. They had much thicker and heavier drift punches.
I think you're right about the grit and grime in the dovetail. Looks much cleaner now.
View attachment 149868
View attachment 149869

Range report: Dead on at 120 yards. I basically couldn't miss my 8" plate from a rest. Blew through 50 rounds of surplus. Another guy was there shooting 9.3x62 and 300 win mag. I shot the 300 win mag at my plate and was surprised it didn't do much damage. The GP11 just makes tiny dimples/dents.
View attachment 149870

Yeah I showed them the cheap punches I was using and they're like ya you'll never get anywhere with those. They had much thicker and heavier drift punches.
I think you're right about the grit and grime in the dovetail. Looks much cleaner now.
View attachment 149868
View attachment 149869

Range report: Dead on at 120 yards. I basically couldn't miss my 8" plate from a rest. Blew through 50 rounds of surplus. Another guy was there shooting 9.3x62 and 300 win mag. I shot the 300 win mag at my plate and was surprised it didn't do much damage. The GP11 just makes tiny dimples/dents.
View attachment 149870

Very good, it's the first rifle in the rotation when cmp matches start next year.

Very good, it's the first rifle in the rotation when cmp matches start next year.

These rifles are just so damn cool. As you said many times, which I've realized, I don't think there is a more accurate milsurp rifle than a K31. Not to mention a smooth action and trigger. I'm sure I'll get another one at some point once I get another safe.

These rifles are just so damn cool. As you said many times, which I've realized, I don't think there is a more accurate milsurp rifle than a K31. Not to mention a smooth action and trigger. I'm sure I'll get another one at some point once I get another safe.

Well a nice 1903/a3 is right up there.....but there NOT 300 BUCKS!!!!
Also helps that even the surplus ammo is nice.

Well a nice 1903/a3 is right up there.....but there NOT 300 BUCKS!!!!
Also helps that even the surplus ammo is nice.

Forgot about the 03s - don't have one yet. I should have said most accurate for under $400 haha.

View attachment 149868
View attachment 149869
what no invite? LOL

View attachment 149870
what no invite? LOL

Back
Top Bottom