Picked up a K31, front sight help?

DW357

NES Member
Picked up my first K31 in the classifieds today along with 120 rounds of ammo. Stock isn't the best but the metal seems to be in great shape and so is the bore. View attachment 148833View attachment 148834

Took it home and disassembled it and cleaned and lubed it up before heading to the range just before dark. VERY nice trigger and smooth action.

Also shot some of my reloads with IMR-4064 and Hornady 168 gr BTHPs. Soft shooting and accurate.

Okay on to my question! It was shooting to the right and I didn't realize until I got home (since it was somewhat dark at the range) that the front sight isn't centered according to the witness marks.
View attachment 148835

I used WD40, and a brass punch and hammer and put the muzzle against a block of wood and started whacking the s*** out of the front sight without moving it at all! Also marred the base of the sight quite a bit which is when I stopped. Used a dremel to cut down the metal that was curled upwards.

Any K31 experts that can give me some advice on adjusting the sight? I read on other forums that there are sight tools for these rifles? They must be a beefy tool to get these sights to budge.

I've never moved the front sight but looking at it I would have done the exact same thing you did. Looks like that's not the best choice after researching it a bit.

Keep us posted if you come up with a solution or a tool that you purchase.

Thanks

I've never moved the front sight but looking at it I would have done the exact same thing you did. Looks like that's not the best choice after researching it a bit.

Keep us posted if you come up with a solution or a tool that you purchase.

Thanks

Will do. I can't believe how rock solid this damn front sight is. Maybe I need to heat it up? For now I guess I'll have to use Kentucky windage.

It looks like it may be staked. look at the lower left corner of the sight and it looks like it was struck from above with a punch or something. I'm assuming you didn't do that mark. You need to un-stake it to drift it.

Here's a tool you can make too...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhMGYpR8ooo

Ahh didn't notice that. Ya it could be staked. How the hell do I unstake it? Lol.

Andrew, I have a gen-u-wine Swiss rifle front sight moving thingie that you are welcome to use.
You will have to get your person and your rifle out to about dead center of Mass to do this.

Jack

Andrew, I have a gen-u-wine Swiss rifle front sight moving thingie that you are welcome to use.
You will have to get your person and your rifle out to about dead center of Mass to do this.

Jack

Ohh really?? So you had to adjust your K31 sight too? I swear these are welded in place lol. Might have to take you up on that.

Picked up my first K31 in the classifieds today along with 120 rounds of ammo. Stock isn't the best but the metal seems to be in great shape and so is the bore. View attachment 148833View attachment 148834

Took it home and disassembled it and cleaned and lubed it up before heading to the range just before dark. VERY nice trigger and smooth action.

Also shot some of my reloads with IMR-4064 and Hornady 168 gr BTHPs. Soft shooting and accurate.

Okay on to my question! It was shooting to the right and I didn't realize until I got home (since it was somewhat dark at the range) that the front sight isn't centered according to the witness marks.
View attachment 148835

I used WD40, and a brass punch and hammer and put the muzzle against a block of wood and started whacking the s*** out of the front sight without moving it at all! Also marred the base of the sight quite a bit which is when I stopped. Used a dremel to cut down the metal that was curled upwards.

Any K31 experts that can give me some advice on adjusting the sight? I read on other forums that there are sight tools for these rifles? They must be a beefy tool to get these sights to budge.

Jezus, you banged it up that bad with a brass punch? My K31 was spot on for windage. Only surplus rifle I ever bought that I didn't need to "zero"
I did find a bolt splitter that fits over the front sight. I started grinding the "chisel" part of the splitter to push the front sight.
My front sight is staked but it looks like a good square solid smack would move the sight.

Doing some research on this and indeed it looks to require the tool. Take a look at : http://www.swissrifles.com/sr/english_k11_k31_manual.pdf

Image below from pdf

View attachment 148850

The tool is nice to have but not needed. The key to getting a staked part like the front sight is a nice sharp tap of the blade with a punch.
Andrew by the looks of your results your not getting a nice square level hit on it.

The good thing about the front sight tool. Is it can help make small changes vs trying to tap it at the range.

As you can see it's a simple tool
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Swiss-K31-F...624122?hash=item3d03ac3b7a:g:dSgAAOSw37tV~DB6

Last edited:
Jezus, you banged it up that bad with a brass punch? My K31 was spot on for windage. Only surplus rifle I ever bought that I didn't need to "zero"
I did find a bolt splitter that fits over the front sight. I started grinding the "chisel" part of the splitter to push the front sight.
My front sight is staked but it looks like a good square solid smack would move the sight.

Yeah I did give it a few whacks with a steel punch to see if that would help...

So your front sight is lined up with the witness marks? It doesn't look like my sight is staked that badly.

had a 1917 whose front wight was drifted all the way to one side. hit dead center of target at 200 yards at that position. may have been the zero of a soldier ect

had a 1917 whose front wight was drifted all the way to one side. hit dead center of target at 200 yards at that position. may have been the zero of a soldier ect

Yeah I was shooting just before dark with not too much light so I suppose this could be shooting dead center if I shoot it with better lighting. Frustrating nonetheless.

Yeah I did give it a few whacks with a steel punch to see if that would help...

So your front sight is lined up with the witness marks? It doesn't look like my sight is staked that badly.

I don't know. I went prone slung up and put 10 rounds 6 o'clock in the low ten high 9 ring area. All 10 shots where with in 6" group at 200 yards with GP11.....good enough for me!

Last edited:
Make sure you're looking at the front sight post and not the wings...

Haha yeah I did catch myself do that a couple times at first but quickly realized what I was doing. I just don't understand why the sight was moved off the center mark. I already have to use a low 6 o clock hold since it shoots high at 120 yards. I suppose I could just hold left but I like having sights on my rifles centered. I'm going to buy one of the homemade sight tools on eBay once the seller in Canada responds.

Haha yeah I did catch myself do that a couple times at first but quickly realized what I was doing. I just don't understand why the sight was moved off the center mark. I already have to use a low 6 o clock hold since it shoots high at 120 yards. I suppose I could just hold left but I like having sights on my rifles centered. I'm going to buy one of the homemade sight tools on eBay once the seller in Canada responds.

The sight might not be original and never was referenced marked. How far right was your rifle shooting.
Remember also it's a battle rifle. Most likely zeroed for 300m or so. My rifle set on 200 meters was impacting up into the 10 ring holding 6o'clock . I would call that normal. If they set the sights with gp11 174 grain bullet @ 2500 fps to point of aim point of impact @ 300 meters.

If you did not move the rear leaf it should hit about 6-8" high at 100 yards. I don't think the rear sight has 6 moa adjustment going from 300-200-100 meter setting.

Remember battle rifles you basically aim some where between the sternum and waist. Few inches high or low is still a hit.

Were you shooting your reloads or GP11? That would make a difference in point of impact

The sight might not be original and never was referenced marked. How far right was your rifle shooting.
Remember also it's a battle rifle. Most likely zeroed for 300m or so. My rifle set on 200 meters was impacting up into the 10 ring holding 6o'clock . I would call that normal. If they set the sights with gp11 174 grain bullet @ 2500 fps to point of aim point of impact @ 300 meters.

If you did not move the rear leaf it should hit about 6-8" high at 100 yards. I don't think the rear sight has 6 moa adjustment going from 300-200-100 meter setting.

Remember battle rifles you basically aim some where between the sternum and waist. Few inches high or low is still a hit.

If I had to guess it was shooting about 4" right at 120 yards. Im guessing because I was shooting my 8" steel not paper. I was able to hit once every mag or 2. But it wasn't until I was done shooting and went to grab my steel that all the hits on the steel were on the right side and I could see the dirt/berm just to the right that was disturbed from my shots. Then once I realized that, I figured I just needed to adjust the front sight. Well I wish it was that easy.

Wow I love this rifle! Minus the off centered front sight that I can't adjust until my tool arrives.

I snuck out to the range today and compensated for the off sight by holding low and left and hit my 8" steel plate at 120 yards every shot! This might be my new favorite milsurp rifle. The action and trigger is just so damn smooth and very accurate.

Then I shot a little high and left and busted my steel plate bolt and two of the pins that keep the frame together.
View attachment 149314View attachment 149315View attachment 149316

Also got these reloads dialed in well. 40 gr of 4064 and a 168 gr BTHP seem to work very well and shoot softer than the GP11 ammo. I just ordered 200 more pieces of new PPU brass on top of the 300+ I have now. I got some brass tumbling now so I can figure out the Redding sizing die.

Last edited:
Wow I love this rifle! Minus the off centered front sight that I can't adjust until my tool arrives.

I snuck out to the range today and compensated for the off sight by holding low and left and hit my 8" steel plate at 120 yards every shot! This might be my new favorite milsurp rifle. The action and trigger is just so damn smooth and very accurate.

Then I shot a little high and left and busted my steel plate bolt and two of the pins that keep the frame together.
View attachment 149314View attachment 149315View attachment 149316

Also got these reloads dialed in well. 40 gr of 4064 and a 168 gr BTHP seem to work very well and shoot softer than the GP11 ammo. I just ordered 200 more pieces of new PPU brass on top of the 300+ I have now. I got some brass tumbling now so I can figure out the Redding sizing die.

Yup the K31 is the most underrated $300ish surplus rifle out there. Trigger is very very nice. I will,be working up loads next year getting ready for the cmp vintage match at the club.
I put the first 10 rounds I fired in it in a 6" group at 200 yards...that is about the limit of my skill so the rifle could shoot better with a better shooter I'm sure.... I'm trying to figure out how to make a better stripper clip?

Last edited:
It's incredible how accurate this 70 year old $300 rifle is. I got the Redding K31 dies. How much do I bump the shoulder on these cases? 0.003"?

It's incredible how accurate this 70 year old $300 rifle is. I got the Redding K31 dies. How much do I bump the shoulder on these cases? 0.003"?

I have lee dies....set per instructions backed off just a touch. I used my rcbs case gauge half to do a,poor mans case head space measurement. As set I'm .004" back from fired case.

I'm working a old timer to let his original Swiss target sights for the k31 go. I offered him current retail and still not ready to sell.

Last edited:
I have lee dies....set per instructions backed off just a touch. I used my rcbs case gauge half to do a,poor mans case head space measurement. As set I'm .004" back from fired case.

I'm working a old timer to let his original Swiss target sights for the k31 go. I offered him current retail and still not ready to sell.

Okay cool. I hadn't seem those target sights before. Just googled them, really nice.

I really really hope that sight tool I bought will be able to adjust my front sight. If it can't, I don't know what else to do.

Back
Top Bottom