• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Photo copies of LTCs?

I heard a rumor that you can make a copy of your LTC and use that in place of the actual card when purchasing firearms. I'm doubting this to be true, but a guy at work insists that he made a copy of his PIN sheet issued by the state and then copied his card (front and back) on the bottom of that letter and uses it to purchase firearms.

To me, this seems like an effective way to do it, as the PIN sheet and copies give the necessary info., but I doubt MA would be so kind as to allow this.

im pretty sure if you hand over a photocopy of an LTC to the person on the other side of the counter when they ask for your LTC , they will look at you like you have 2 heads.

would you give a police officer a photocopy of your drivers license when they pull you over? that wouldnt go too well. it would look like your up to something, i think

i have never seen this..im sure shops only want to see the actual state issued license. even though there are still additional steps to confirm if you are legit.

i just think your buddy is either being super paranoid or one of those people that constantly lose things or you misunderstood what he was saying.

i can justify making copies and putting them in a safe for reference. but to pass around a photocopy at shops is just crazy. dont be surprised if the cops get called.

Last edited:
Why would you do this? If you have the actual LTC then just show that.

Reasoning for the individual was so that he wouldn't lose his LTC card... again, I didn't think that it was a valid method, but he claims it works. I don't see why it wouldn't hurt to make copies, though, in the even one did lose the card.

Bob Smith's Sporting Goods back in the day required a copy of your LTC kept for their records whenever you bought a gun from them, but they still needed to see your original LTC.

I'm thinking any sane dealer that likes his state license would say NO.

Seems like a lot of trouble to go thru even if he's worried about losing his card......

Last edited:
Reasoning for the individual was so that he wouldn't lose his LTC card... again

This is why I trace cardboard outlines of my guns and just carry those, I don't want to lose my guns ...again. [smile]

Plus the benefits of less holster wear, never have to clean them and the ammo shortage doesn't bother me.[grin]

I couldn't resist.

I have heard of people photocopying their carry permit in NH and carrying the copy, because I guess the resident permit is just a slip of paper. Maybe that's what you're thinking of?

Back
Top Bottom