PFD for fishing

I am looking for suggestions on a SOSpenders type inflatable PFD for surf fishing and one that is approved for kayak/canoe use? I am looking for one that has an auto inflate feature.

I've used Mustang Survival and West Marine in the past for sailing. Luckily, I've never had to use or rely on them.

On my boat I wear one like this: https://www.spinlock.co.uk/en-us/categories/lifejackets/product_groups/deckvest-5d

The one I have uses the "Hammar" system that uses water pressure to inflate. I tend to be out in some very wet situations so I didn't like the water sensitive systems that can inflate when you get hit by a wave or heavy rain. The pressure system is pretty expensive but I have never had a misfire.

This is what I have. It's about ~10 years old, has kept up incredibly well. I recharged it myself and that worked fine. Hydrostatic pressure based, which is what you want as Mudfish recommends. Otherwise it pops when you get splashed too much. I personally recommend one with a harness if you'll be going offshore in rough stuff, especially alone. But for a kayak/canoe use, it may be overkill. That said, you don't need to buy another one if your uses change...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/47386561...931&wl14=mustand pfd harness offshore&veh=sem

On my boat I wear one like this: https://www.spinlock.co.uk/en-us/categories/lifejackets/product_groups/deckvest-5d

The one I have uses the "Hammar" system that uses water pressure to inflate. I tend to be out in some very wet situations so I didn't like the water sensitive systems that can inflate when you get hit by a wave or heavy rain. The pressure system is pretty expensive but I have never had a misfire.

Spinlocks are the best, I've done some serious offshore sailing with them. The only problem is they don't want to play by the USCG goose rules so they aren't USCG certified.

Those spinlocks look great... the price is a bit tough to swallow, but I do value my life.

I have a manual suspender type I use in a zodiac. For fishing in the kayak I need to have my tools handy for landing a big nasty Blue that wants to take a piece of me back home. When the weather gets nasty fast and I'm taking on wave hits, I worried about the auto inflate version. I always wear a rash shirt under them and use a discontinued Extrasport due to attachment points and pocket placement. West marine has models similar mine. I do go a few miles out in some rough conditions. My radio is an Icom M88 in a Bianchi 4 mag 1911 pouch on my shoulder. The short gaff (see rear well) is also very important

P1020611a.jpg IMG_0209a.jpg IMG_0189a.jpg

Most importantly, I'm considering a new fishing reel like this one [rofl]

Fishing.jpg

Last edited:
I have a manual suspender type I use in a zodiac. For fishing in the kayak I need to have my tools handy for landing a big nasty Blue that wants to take a piece of me back home. When the weather gets nasty fast and I'm taking on wave hits, I worried about the auto inflate version. I always wear a rash shirt under them and use a discontinued Extrasport due to attachment points and pocket placement. West marine has models similar mine. I do go a few miles out in some rough conditions. My radio is an Icom M88 in a Bianchi 4 mag 1911 pouch on my shoulder. The short gaff (see rear well) is also very important

View attachment 189602 View attachment 189603 View attachment 189606 View attachment 189604 View attachment 189605

Most importantly, I'm considering a new fishing reel like this one [rofl]

View attachment 189608

Nice selfie,

1776 that is a great setup I would hate to think about the price tag though.

It's a 2007 I picked up on CL, then did repairs/upgrades, custom cart, and mods. The old ones come in at 120lbs, and the new ones are over 200lbs

Is the sail from Hobie? Never seen that before but I really really like it.

The sail rolls/wraps around the mast, roller reefing. I only have a couple of feet out for the picture. That's how you control your trolling speed under different wind conditions. 2-3 ft of sail moves it at a good trolling speed in 15-20mph winds

http://www.hobiecat.com/mirage/mirage-adventure-island/

I really like that new reel!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom