PFD requirements

tuna

NES Member
I was just asked by my kid about the law on life jackets while kayaking. I told him under 13 you need to wear one, and over that it needs to be in the kayak.
“Where’s it say that?”
Found and showed him the RSA 270 about 13 and under.
“Where’s it say you need to carry one?”
“………”

I looked, and can’t find anything that says I need one. Besides “common sense” anyway.

Does anyone know for certain if you are legally required to have a kayak in a non motorized kayak?

Mine is zip tied to the bungee cords, so don’t tell me it will save a life, it won’t. I’m just wondering if I can stop the pretense without incurring a fine.

My reading of boating license regs (although license not required for kayaks) indicate child under 13 must wear, and otherwise for kayaks must have one on board for each occupant (eg tandem). I did not see a requirement to wear. Although, IMO it is foolish not to, as you can be in the water faster than you have time to access PFD and put it on. Kayaks are just as subject to inspection as other vessels, where the regs could be applied and tested.

I may be wrong on this.

Law says All Vessels must have 1 PFD for evey person on board.

PFDs are required to be worn at all times for youths less than 12 (except if they are below deck).

Everyone in a canoe or kayak must wear one from September 15 to May 15.

I would rethink that zip tie of the pfd to the kayak. Many game wardens, or marine patrol will ask to retrieve and hold up items such as this during an inspection. They sometimes want to hold it check it for serviceability, rips, tears, missing buckles etc. If it cant be placed into service because if the zip tie it could be an issue. If there was a person in water situation and they drowned it would / could be a contributing factor in that drowning. If not a fan of the big orange brick, the auto inflators or manual inflators are quite comfortable and possibly life saving if needed.
Even a good swimmer can be heavily challenged when wearing shoes clothes, tired from paddling, suddenly plunged into and under water. A pfd is like a gun, rather have it ready to be placed into immediate service and not need it. Then locked in a vault and really need it.

Two six packs should do it 🤔

Law says All Vessels must have 1 PFD for evey person on board.

PFDs are required to be worn at all times for youths less than 12 (except if they are below deck).

Everyone in a canoe or kayak must wear one from September 15 to May 15.
But this is my question. I find plenty that says “it’s the law to have a Pfd”, but I can’t actually find the law that says that.

Or is a blurb in the little pamphlets suddenly carrying force of law because the game warden can make it up on the spot?

My google fu was weak last night. It wasn't in the RSAs but is listed with a $68 fine recommended.

Section Saf-C 403.01 - Personal Flotation Devices(a) No person shall use a boat on the public waters unless it is equipped as follows:(1) Recreational boats less than 16 feet in length, or canoes, kayaks or one-person sailboats of any length, shall have at least one of the following types on board for each person:a. Type I PFD;b. Type II PFD;c. Type III PFD; ord. Type V PFD;(2) Recreational boats 16 feet or more in length, except canoes or kayaks, shall have at least one PFD of the following types on board for each person:a. Type I PFD;b. Type II PFD;c. Type III PFD; ord. Type V PFD; and(3) Recreational boats 16 feet or more in length, except canoes or kayaks, shall have at least one Type IV PFD on board in addition to the PFDs required in subparagraph (2) above.(b) All PFD's shall be:(1) U.S. Coast Guard approved;(2) In serviceable condition;(3) Readily accessible; and(4) Of an appropriate size, within the weight range and chest sizes marked on the PFD, for the person who intends to wear them.

I think this covers PFDs?

Section 5A. Every vessel not subject to the provisions of section five shall carry one Coast Guard approved personal floatation device of Type I, II or III for each person on board, in good and serviceable condition in a readily accessible location. Each amphibious landing vehicle shall have 1 Coast Guard approved personal flotation device of Type I, II or III that shall be in a readily accessible location for each passenger under 10 years of age. This section shall not apply to vessels used in competitive rowing, sculling or supervised intercollegiate sailing programs, rafts, surfboards, sail fish, so called, or any similar type of vessel.

Section 5 is all about motorboats.

By their definition: ''Vessel'',—watercraft of every description, except a seaplane on the water used or capable of being used as a means of transportation on water.

But honestly. get a good fitting and comfortable PFD and just wear it.

I would rethink that zip tie of the pfd to the kayak. Many game wardens, or marine patrol will ask to retrieve and hold up items such as this during an inspection. They sometimes want to hold it check it for serviceability, rips, tears, missing buckles etc. If it cant be placed into service because if the zip tie it could be an issue. If there was a person in water situation and they drowned it would / could be a contributing factor in that drowning. If not a fan of the big orange brick, the auto inflators or manual inflators are quite comfortable and possibly life saving if needed.
Even a good swimmer can be heavily challenged when wearing shoes clothes, tired from paddling, suddenly plunged into and under water. A pfd is like a gun, rather have it ready to be placed into immediate service and not need it. Then locked in a vault and really need it.

Plus you can capsize and hit your head. Way easier to rescue you if you don't get knocked out, sink like a stone and wash down river.

Back
Top Bottom