Passenger Discovers Loaded Ammunition "Clip" On Phoenix-Bound Flight

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpps/ne...d-magazine-phx-bound-flight-11232010_10762003

Excerpt:

A passenger aboard a Southwest Airlines flight found a full ammunition clip from a law enforcement officer's service weapon during a flight Tuesday from Burbank, Calif., to Phoenix, an airline spokesman said.

However, the owner of the clip remained a mystery.

TSA Administrator John Pistole said he was confident the clip didn't belong to a federal air marshal. He wouldn't speculate about who might have brought the clip onto the aircraft.

Passengers weren't in danger because nobody else on the plane had a gun that could use the bullets, Pistole added.

With a name like Pistole, he must know everything about guns.
I didn't know LEO's were carrying Garands these days.

If they found a gun first, they would have said that passengers weren't in danger because nobody else on the plane had a clip for the gun.

If somebody got a clip onto the plane- who says they were unable to get a gun on.

Why are so many on here obsessed with "It's not a clip. It's a magazine." I am a fairly new shooter and I do say magazine, but I have heard a few older guys who have been shooting all their lives say clip instead of magazine. Maybe that was the way it was said at one time. Kind of like janitor vs custodian vs maintenance man.

Why are so many on here obsessed with "It's not a clip. It's a magazine." I am a fairly new shooter and I do say magazine, but I have heard a few older guys who have been shooting all their lives say clip instead of magazine. Maybe that was the way it was said at one time. Kind of like janitor vs custodian vs maintenance man.

It's like calling your carry gun your "piece" or your "gat". One is the technically correct term and the other is slang.

internet-serious-business-cat.jpg

The distinction is important....just like in a shooter to shooter conversation, "Automatic pistol" generally means a semi-auto, not a full auto. The distinction is lost on the non-shooters, who think that all guns are evil AKs. [post reporter's guide to guns here]

If WE can't get the correct terminology down, then the all-important [rolleyes] symbol will have to be taken away for use when commenting on dumbass reporters (e.g. Glock service revolvers that occasionally crop up in news reports).

I may be a shotgun shooter, but precision AND accuracy are important! [laugh]

Clip are to magazines like boats are to ships. As stated, clips feed into a magazine. Ships carry boats.

Everything to non-shooters are "clips". That's not the point of the article, however. How anyone could have sneaked on a full mag is anyone's guess. Wonder where the owner hid it to get it on board??? Any guesses??

Rome

Last edited:
I had to read that twice before I caught the double entendre! Very creative.

Wonder if there are fingerprints on the rounds? A lot of bad guys forget that when they wipe down an illegal handgun. That's the first thing I would have thought of. I'll bet we don't hear another thing about this episode, too.

R

I guess nobody read or heard the story (don't recall if I saw it on the snews or read the story) . . .

It was reported that it belonged to a LEO who had been cleared to fly armed. They know who it was but wouldn't release that info.

It's just the language usage nazis. I don't have a big problem with "clip" being used personally. Maybe if we can get past the elitism we can discuss how ridiculous it is that anyone is afraid of a magazine full of live ammo in the first place.

Because it's incorrect.
We can choose to perpetuate media firearms terminology or distinguish ourselves from them by being correct.

Imagine what the world would be like if all experts starting using media or lay person terminology.

I guess nobody read or heard the story (don't recall if I saw it on the snews or read the story) . . .

It was reported that it belonged to a LEO who had been cleared to fly armed. They know who it was but wouldn't release that info.
Darn, I was going to ask "what's his NES screen name?" [wink]

Back
Top Bottom