Para Pin Gun

I bought a Para-Ordnance SST last week and shot it today at the Chester pin shoot. All was well untill the rear sight shook loose from the slide dove tail. This had happened earlier when i was sighting it in. so I locked the set screw with blue locktite and it still shook loose at Chester after about 15 shots. I still shot the Para .45 better than my Sig .40. The bigger bullet makes a difference. In revolver class I shot a friends 629 .44 mag with reduced loads. It had more recoil than what i was used to. I shot 23 or 24 total. This is better than what I have done before in .357 mag.

I'm wondering if the two members of this forum who showed up to shoot against SA John are going to post about there experience. He beat both of them in both the revolver and the auto pistol class. They insisted on betting. SA John didn't want to bet. They got rude so he bet them. It was very funny after when they lost. I warned all not to bet earlier on this forum. I won't tell ther names because it seems mean spirited. But one shot a 1911 type pistol that was not a .45. and the the other shot a .45 with a small comp. They both shot .357 reivolvers. SA John shot a perfect 30 in both division. The two guys from this forum were eliminated on ther first tables when they failed to clear all five pins. Usually if you leave one pin in these shoots you are done for. Bot of these shooters told SA John about there action shooting experience. They had lots of equipment and stickers all over there gun boxes. They had me impressed. That didn't last long though. One of the men handed John his money, the other guy flipped it into his open car. Neither would shake hands. It was a bad show. Come on, guys, he beat you fair and square with his single-action guns.

Sydney

here we go again!,[crying]
Harvard shoots tomorrow,
Please invite SAJohn to come & show us his awesome skills. [wink]
I'll be happy to pay his $20 entry fee for the education.[popcorn]
9x21

here we go again!,[crying]
Harvard shoots tomorrow,
Please invite SAJohn to come & show us his awesome skills. [wink]
I'll be happy to pay his $20 entry fee for the education.[popcorn]
9x21

Funny how he is amazing in a small pond but then skips out to play with the big boys. Where was he last weekend at MRA??? I guess he can only beat the small fish in the small pond. I too will pay his entry fee into Harvard tomorrow and if he beats me at the end of the match I'll give him $100. He can even use my gun and my ammo and even shoot on my squad and I'll still beat him.

He lost all credibility when he didn't show up last weekend...

Sydney,

Try some red loctite on the set screws. It is somewhat perminant (so they say) so it will not come loose to easily if you want to loosen them again. But if you get you sight in the right place and it is adjustable you have nothing to worry about.

I have not had trouble with mine since I used it. That was two years and thousands of rounds ago.

Get some LocTite #290. It's high strength, that is used on assembled parts. Get the gun zero'd, then apply the 290. It wicks into the joint.

Funny how he is amazing in a small pond but then skips out to play with the big boys. Where was he last weekend at MRA??? I guess he can only beat the small fish in the small pond. I too will pay his entry fee into Harvard tomorrow and if he beats me at the end of the match I'll give him $100. He can even use my gun and my ammo and even shoot on my squad and I'll still beat him.

He lost all credibility when he didn't show up last weekend...

SURELY YOU JEST!

I am part of that small pond, and my reputation as a pin shooter precedes me.

SA John is a formidable opponent on the firing line!

SURELY YOU JEST!

So, were you there also and saw who it was that apparently showed up?
If so, name the names, we deserve to know who the shooters are, and who the posers are on this board. If someone's going to go up to NH and front like they know what they are doing, and talk smack and get whupped, out them if they dont have the sack to admit it themselves.
We are all still waiting to read who it was, so we can either say, wow, ____ got beat? or, HA HA! he went up there and thought he was good?

SURELY YOU JEST!

If it's a big pond then how many people show up at a typical match? We had 87 shooters on Sunday and we have SO MANY very talented shooters. I never said SA John wasn't a good shooter as I've never even met him but his statements regarding humiliating us doesn't go to easily when he can't back it up. That's all I'm trying to say.

Competition is fun and badgering each other can be just as fun... HAHA

Pete

This Thread is Heading South!

Why all of the acrimony?

Pin shooting at Chester is THE most demanding handgun shooting sport I know.

The pins are used until they can no longer stand up, so the get quite heavy and roll-resistant after the fourth or fifth relay.

The handguns used must have open sights. No dots. No holos.

The ammunition needed to drive the lumpy pins back across three feet of very hostile table surface is like power factor 215. Try pins shooting with USPSA major loads, and the pins will laugh at you!

The accuracy required is far more stringent that Steel Challenge, IDPA, and USPSA. The kill zone on a pin is about 15 square inches!

Factor all this and try doing it with a SAA revolver!

Lets us give credit here. It is due.

You and Sydney are not going to get any respect when the two of you are swinging off SAJohns balls.

you say your reputation proceeds you......are you sure its the reputation you want?

You and Sydney are not going to get any respect when the two of you are swinging off SAJohns balls.

you say your reputation proceeds you......are you sure its the reputation you want?

I was a Second Chance Master Blaster 18 years ago. That's my rep, and I'm sticking to it!

Pin shooting at Chester is THE most demanding handgun shooting sport I know.

When you can beat 10mmDave who also shoots a revolver at Pins then I will bow down to you. If he was the one saying he will beat and humiliate someone then you know what? I would say it's prob. true since he owns the world record on a bowling pin table.

We should hold a pin match again at MRA just because of all this.

Oh wait, but then SA John still won't show up.

When you can beat 10mmDave who also shoots a revolver at Pins then I will bow down to you. If he was the one saying he will beat and humiliate someone then you know what? I would say it's prob. true since he owns the world record on a bowling pin table.

We should hold a pin match again at MRA just because of all this.

Oh wait, but then SA John still won't show up.

FYI at MRA:
Sunday Aug. 31, 2008 Bowling Pin Match(handgun)-Outside

I cant believe this is still going on...

I think we all need to just get together, BLAST some damn pins and have a good time.

I'm not a great pin shooter but I'll give it what I have with my 625 and my 1911!

[pot][mg]

BTW the "swinging off the balls" comment just made me laugh[laugh]

Pin shooting is a fine sport, but you should get out more................[laugh2]

[popcorn]

+1, I'm an idpa/steel/3 gun guy and shot a pin match in chester (my first match of the season mind you) and managed a not too shabby 28/30 with a pretty stock glock and wwb fmj. Oh and I was not a big fan of waiting 30 min to shoot for 8 seconds, now I'm not trying to disrespect ANYONE but as far as

"Pin shooting at Chester is THE most demanding handgun shooting sport I know."

you must not know of many shooting sports?

Well . . .

+1, I'm an idpa/steel/3 gun guy and shot a pin match in chester (my first match of the season mind you) and managed a not too shabby 28/30 with a pretty stock glock and wwb fmj. Oh and I was not a big fan of waiting 30 min to shoot for 8 seconds, now I'm not trying to disrespect ANYONE but as far as

"Pin shooting at Chester is THE most demanding handgun shooting sport I know."

you must not know of many shooting sports?

I've shot in the 2nd Bianchi Cup in 1980.

I've shot IPSC under John Pepper in MD (the man who invented the Pepper Popper) back in 1982-84.

I've shot IPSC in CA (SWPL), MD, VA, OH, Quebec, IN, NY and VT.

I've shot IDPA and steel at Pioneer Sportsmen in NH.

I've shot steel and pins at MRA off and on since 1992.

Lastly, I've shot pins across the nation since Oct 1978, including five trips to Second Chance. I won the first Winchester Championship OSS Shootoff in 1990, and stood next to the Master Blaster winner Jerry Miculek with $5000 in a silver cup.

That said, one could say that I've been around.

And I am here to tell you that shooting a perfect 30 out of 30 at Chester with an open-sighted revolver is one heck of a challenge. I've only done it once. I have never failed to do it with an open-sighted semiauto pistol, but there I have nine shots.

The pins at Chester are not replaced until they can no longer stand, and the Amflite II bowling pins can absorb a whole lot of lead and still stand. They roll about as good as an airplane tire chock.

To all you MRA guys, I salute you for running a fine competition shooting program, the finest in New England. I wish that I could participate more from way up here in west-central NH.

I shall try to come to your August pin match and one of your 25 steel matches.

Hey... did you say bowling?? [wink]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ9PURYy1M0

To all you MRA guys, I salute you for running a fine competition shooting program, the finest in New England. I wish that I could participate more from way up here in west-central NH.

I shall try to come to your August pin match and one of your 25 steel matches.

Otasan - that is an excellent thing to say. Those guys put so much effort in to running the matches so we can all have fun. I can honestly say if I had not met them when I first started shooting in 2000 and they were not so welcoming and encouraging to new shooters, I probably would not be shooting every week like I do. I probably would not be shooting at all. I wouldn't be broke either! They exposed me to pins, steel, steel challenge, three gun, USPSA, IDPA, shotgun, tactical rifle - the list goes on and on.

I hope you come out to join us for a match sometime soon (and tell some old shooting stories too ). MRA has BOWLING PINS this weekend - but with rifles. This is more fun than shooting them with handguns IMO.

Last edited:
Hey... did you say bowling?? [wink]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ9PURYy1M0

Otasan - that is an excellent thing to say. Those guys put so much effort in to running the matches so we can all have fun. I can honestly say if I had not met them when I first started shooting in 2000 and they were not so welcoming and encouraging to new shooters, I probably would not be shooting every week like I do. I probably would not be shooting at all. I wouldn't be broke either! They exposed me to pins, steel, steel challenge, three gun, USPSA, IDPA, shotgun, tactical rifle - the list goes on and on.

I hope you come out to join us for a match sometime soon (and tell some old shooting stories too ). MRA has BOWLING PINS this weekend - but with rifles. This is more fun than shooting them with handguns IMO.

Yep, cause I don't ever what to get whipped by SAJohn, I'm selling all my shootin stuff & taking up bowling.
I'll bet I can take down ten pins in one shot!
[rofl][laugh2][laugh]

Hasn't this gotten fun? Pistol Pete: I live in South Florida for most of the year. I keep a place up this way and shoot when it is convenient in the local shoots. I have been in Key West for the last week or so. Sorry I can't arrainge my lifestyle to better suit you. That being said, I can actually understand your being pissed off because I was sure that I was coming to MRA Sunday. If I were you, I'd feel the same way.

Sydney is a good kid, but lately he's become a pain in my ass. He writes about what I do and at first it was flattering. Not so much now. There seems to be quite a few insecure people around who don't like accolades if they are not directed at them. You know who you are.

About Chester and the two guys who openly challenged me: I won't disclose names in this case , (user names or real names) as I think it is very poor form. At least those two men had the stones to show up. That I salute. It's just dissapointing that they could not be better sports about it or even laugh a little. It was kinda funny to watch the look of abject horror in their faces when they could not hit pins clean enough to move them off table and then reverted to type and started spraying. That never works. Never, never. You have to know how to aim and stay calm.

If you go back and read all the shit involving me, you'll see that I only disparaged CAS. I said it was a lousy game as presently practiced. This I stand by. It's still a lousy game. Needs a real power factor of at least 190 and targets small enough that you have to aim. This business of slip-thumbing at steel 15 feet away without need for sights and with sub-caliber guns shooting virtual blanks is nonsense. And I may be from Key West, but even I wouldn't wear the screwy costumes that game requires.

I think the different steel games and IDPA etc, are great sport. It was what I originally inquired about. I don't suggest, and never have, that I am any good at any of those. I'm not. All I said was that I could shoot an SA revolver at pins pretty good. Good enough to win more times than not against other revolvers. In matches when I shoot against autos,I've had good luck also for the simple reason that most shooter's cannot shoot well enough to clear 5 pins in any amount of time. Not that I was real fast. I'm simply efficient and don't often miss. Maybe it's my PPC or sihouette background - two games where aiming is paramount. I have no doubt at all that any one of you guys would mash me in a game that I do not shoot. Even with my 1911 I probably wouldn't do well for time. It's silly to think that in any shooting form that required reloading that I could fair well with an SA against competant shooters. Incompetant shooters are a different thing. I have shot against bad shooters in the past - them with their autos, me with my SA - and have done very well. But only because they could not hit the pins at all.

So I'll leave it at this: I can't beat you at your games, and I seriously doubt any of you can beat me shooting pins with revolvers on a regulation Second Chance table. You had better be able to out shoot me with a .45 1911 when I shoot the SA Colt. But revolver against revolver? I think I'd win more times than not. If interested in trying, come to any of the Country Pond or Chester pin shoots. You can find the info if you're really interested. But if you don't come up, don't bitch that I don't come down to your IDPA or similiar shoots. Those are not my thing. Maybe in the future when I have more time, but not now.

9x21: Do you shoot pins with a sub-caliber 9x21 1911? I can't believe you know what you're doing if that is the case. Just my opinion. (you must use a .45)

Sorry for all the bad spelling, I'm in a bit of a hurry and don't feel like rereading this stuff.

Whitey if you're out there: I hope to get to MRA if you shoot steel again at the start of June. I only plan to shoot my 1911 as I want to get better at that game. I just wish a few vocal others would have the same attitude about pins and come show what they got up my way.

SA John

9x21: Do you shoot pins with a sub-caliber 9x21 1911? I can't believe you know what you're doing if that is the case. Just my opinion. (you must use a .45)

SA John

I just use a bowling ball for bowling pins.

I use 9x21 for just about everything else.

Besides, I could never handle the fierce recoil of the power factor you descibe!

My offer still stands for me to pay your entry fee at any USPSA local match.
I never said I could beat you, but after all your (& others) big talk, I just wanted to see you shoot.
There are certainly enough matches for you show us all your extraordinary skill set.[bow]

Maybe someday you give everyone outside of Chester a real treat.

In matches when I shoot against autos,I've had good luck also for the simple reason that most shooter's cannot shoot well enough to clear 5 pins in any amount of time. Not that I was real fast. I'm simply efficient and don't often miss.
I've only shot pins a few times and I'm not very good, but I've had a similar experience. Most of the time I was up against a shooter who was not accurate. They just started blasting away as fast as they could. Big mistake. You can't miss fast enough to make up for not hitting the pins.

Focus on the front sight, take your time quickly, and you can smoke a lot of people.

About Chester and the two guys who openly challenged me: I won't disclose names in this case , (user names or real names) as I think it is very poor form. At least those two men had the stones to show up. That I salute.

I'd salute them too, if they had the sack those stones belong in to come on here and admit to everyone that you gave them a beatdown.

Back
Top Bottom