Para 10-45 pro custom and pre ban hi caps

Looking for a cheap way to shoot limited / L10 and I'm very close to ordering a Para 10-45 pro custom.

I'm curious of there are any Para shooters left that have advice on P14 mags, capacity, tuning options for enhanced reliability and capacity....

Any Para shooters left???

Nobody I know. [smile]

Bought my P14 used in the '90s and the previous owner had it tuned by a smith. It'll digest any .45 ammo. Pistol and preban mags function flawlessly for competition or carry. I can't tell you about the new paras. Since they apparently are being made in the US now instead of Canada, they may be more reliable.

I like the 14+1 goodness they deliver. YMMV.

Why the Para?

Under $1k from the shop I do occasional work at, easily transferable ( on the target roster ) cheap, legal hi caps, I already reload .45.

I know it will not be the most competitive pistol, but it will be a ton of fun for relatively short money. I had plans ( as I talked with you about ) to build in a sti frame, but $2k+ for a custom build and another $300-$400 in mags is not really the way I want to go right now.

I'm also considering the CZ TS sport, but mags are again an issue as is .40. I don't love my glock and don't want to sink any more $$$ into setting it up for limited

I'm open to other suggestions

Your reasons are valid, and you realize it won't be the most competitive gun for Limited. Limited 10 you'll be good.
See if it has the Power Extractor or whatever they call it. I don't go with the proprietary extractors.

Your reasons are valid, and you realize it won't be the most competitive gun for Limited. Limited 10 you'll be good.
See if it has the Power Extractor or whatever they call it. I don't go with the proprietary extractors.

My thought is if I really get "serious" shooting limited and I need something competitive this could always serve as a inexpensive backup. Getting serious would entail selling a good part of my pistols to get a dedicated pistol ring, which at this point I'm not ready to do ( being inexperienced ) With the right mag setup I should be able to get 17 or maybe 18 rounds so the biggest disadvantage will be the guy behind the pistol and not the pistol itself

Extractor is EGW HD Extractor, not sure if that is proprietary

http://para-usa.com/2013/firearms/competition/custom1045.php

I think the power extractor is the external ones.

I'm building a para p14 from the frame up .
Para frame
Kart barrel
Random slide I had .
Every thing else is Wilson combat.
600$ total . I lucked out. If you buy smart you could build one for a decent price.

Personally I don't get the magwell flares on these since it's a double stack that tapered to single feed .

Para frame
Kart barrel
Random slide I had .
600$ total . I lucked out. If you buy smart you could build one for a decent price.

Personally I don't get the magwell flares on these since it's a double stack that tapered to single feed .

I already have a STI 2011 frame that I will be selling ( along with some mags ). Quite frankly, I'm not up for the project, or what it will cost to get what I want for a pistol that I would have built.

SS 9mm is fun to shoot, but the point loss is too huge. 10 rounds are occasionally helpful, major points is always helpful

I can't disagree, but I did have a process in mind when choosing it...

Breaking down a stage will be no different than production division. In the few matches I've shot, I only start dropping hits is when I get "lost" in longer stages ( worrying about the reload or transition ). I'm a Harvard member and the matches I've attended all seem to be more setup more divisions of 10 rounds more than 8 ( I guess a function of lots of production shooters? ). Typically there have also been stage or two where the round counts would require a second even third reload if shooting SS major.

Bottom line is if I do my part, there's no point difference as an alpha is a alpha... But I'm also very realistic in understanding I won't be winning any matches [smile]

Don't look to win the match, but come in the top 3 of your class. Earn a spot in the next higher class and then repeat. Above all else, PRACTICE mag changes. Practice tactical reloading too. Don't try to rush through a stage. Trying to go fast is most often when you'll have your longest time. Smooth and steady is fast. As you gain more proficiency, your times will get better and better.

Going major with .45 ACP is beyond easy. Use heavier projectiles to get lower velocities. Adjust your pistol to minimize muzzle rise too. I used to run 255 grain projectiles at ~725fps. I could have gone slower, but the pistol functioned better at that velocity. Tuned the pistol to give me ~1" muzzle rise freestyle and maybe 2" when one handed.

Some of the parts inside my P14.45 cannot be purchased anymore. Like the full length guide rod. Simply not made any more and I think the EPA shut down it's manufacture. This was used in the limited class. I basically took it as far as I could inside the rules.

I know it will not be the most competitive pistol, but it will be a ton of fun for relatively short money. I had plans ( as I talked with you about ) to build in a sti frame, but $2k+ for a custom build and another $300-$400 in mags is not really the way I want to go right now.

some may disagree, but a proficient shooter can do just as well with a $5k Infinity limited gun as with a $1k glock. Given that each is accurate, reliable, and the shooter is comfortable with the platform.

some may disagree, but a proficient shooter can do just as well with a $5k Infinity limited gun as with a $1k glock. Given that each is accurate, reliable, and the shooter is comfortable with the platform.
this - If you are not M class or above, I don't think its the gun that would be holding you back.

OP said you have a glock but don't like it, but I think you can take it quite far in the sport.

I think you should go for it

Done. Stopped by the shop last night, a distributor had one in stock so I ordered it up. Fingers crossed that Para is putting these pistols together right. Ordered a few prebans online for $35 each and I'll get some base pads and springs. Supposedly I can get capacity to 17 or 18, we'll see...

Done. Stopped by the shop last night, a distributor had one in stock so I ordered it up. Fingers crossed that Para is putting these pistols together right. Ordered a few prebans online for $35 each and I'll get some base pads and springs. Supposedly I can get capacity to 17 or 18, we'll see...

That's what Dremel tools and hammers are for![smile]

Para frame
Kart barrel
Random slide I had .

The Para "Power Extractor" is not external. It is a lame attempt on Para's part to improve JMB's original design. The EGW extractor is the cure for the Para part. Good luck with the build; Para has a horrible reputation for QC, including the frames. I learned the hard way.

Paid off the 10-45 today... Not very confidence inspiring that Para couldn't even bother to provide the magwell they advertise the pistol with. Looks like a call to customer service is in order, before I even get to shoot it. Not a good way to start

I know there are many here that will shake their head with a "I told you so" and it appears your right

I called customer service this morning about the missing magwell... Talk about the worst customer service I've ever experienced!

I was told "I" was mistaken that the Pro Custom 10.45 does not included the dawson magwell ( even though every picture Para has ever put out of the 10.45 shows one ) Due to the 10 round mags the magwell will not work and is not included. I asked why it was advertised on the website and every picture Para has published of the 10.45 pro custom and i was told that that was not his dept and he would have to talk to other people about that....

I was not even offered an apology, let alone the magwell they advertise the pistol with.

Best of all, I tried to call back a little past 5:00 to express my displeasure in the overall experience only to find that customer service closes at 5:00 and not 5:30 as is stated on their website

I should have just waited and purchased an STI, this can't be a good start. It's only a $50 part, but quite frankly I have broken S&W's of my own fault and they have always taken care of me without charge. Para couldn't muster an "I'm sorry"

Last edited:
I know there are many here that will shake their head with a "I told you so" and it appears your right

I called customer service this morning about the missing magwell... Talk about the worst customer service I've ever experienced!

I was told "I" was mistaken that the Pro Custom 10.45 does not included the dawson magwell ( even though every picture Para has ever put out of the 10.45 shows one ) Due to the 10 round mags the magwell will not work and is not included. I asked why it was advertised on the website and every picture Para has published of the 10.45 pro custom and i was told that that was not his dept and he would have to talk to other people about that....

I was not even offered an apology, let alone the magwell they advertise the pistol with.

Best of all, I tried to call back a little past 5:00 to express my displeasure in the overall experience only to find that customer service closes at 5:00 and not 5:30 as is stated on their website

I should have just waited and purchased an STI, this can't be a good start. It's only a $50 part, but quite frankly I have broken S&W's of my own fault and they have always taken care of me without charge. Para couldn't muster an "I'm sorry"

Although pictured in the ads and on the website, Mag well is not listed in the specs.

Since this was designed in cooperation with Travis Tomasi, Find contact information for him and ask. I would also politely explain your poor experience with customer service. He does not want them making him look bad so maybe he can at least explain it to you.

- - - Updated - - -

I am pretty sure that EGW makes an over sized extractor to cure the "Para Problem".

10-45 pro custom has the EGW extractor according to the spec sheet

Although pictured in the ads and on the website, Mag well is not listed in the specs

This was pointed about by an Enos forum member as well.... he also pointed out that NONE of the pro custom actually list a magwell in the spec with the exception of the Tomasie Signature model. This brought the question of " do any of the pro custom models actually come with on.e, or are they jst pictured with one?"

Back
Top Bottom