Painted Roll Marks on AR-15 lower reciever

I saw a couple of posts on youtube and some other sites on painting the roll marks on a reciever It didn't look too hard so I gave it a try.
before.jpg
I used flat white and flat red Testors paint. I also used some Testors thinner. I put a drop of paint on an old envelope, dropped a little bit of thinner and mixed it together with a tooth pick. Using a cheap paint brush from Michaels, I put the paint over the words. I let it sit for a minute or so and then used a q-tip dipped in thinner to remover the paint from the high points. I then hit the painted area with a hair drier and then used some Hoppes 9 on a paper towel to clean up the excess. I found a paper towel worked better than an old t-shirt. I did two coats. It might need a little touch up, but I think it turned out pretty good. Took about 10 minutes to do and it wasn't that hard.

after.jpg

Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

I recently did one of my Spikes lowers with Testors enamel as well. Instead of a brush I used an extremely fine syringe. I cleaned up any smears with thinner.

25895c9e.jpg

My wife is a nurse. You can purchase syringes at a local farm supply store like Tractor Supply. I would get the finest guage possible and get a few. The paint starts to melt the plastic so you need to have a few.
You need to really thin the paint as well to get it to flow as well.

Is this just a decorative (trendy?) thing, or is there a useful purpose to this? I guess if you forget a lot that up is fire and down is safe, and you have to look at it to see which way it goes, it could be handy.

Coyote33 said:
Is this just a decorative (trendy?) thing, or is there a useful purpose to this? I guess if you forget a lot that up is fire and down is safe, and you have to look at it to see which way it goes, it could be handy.

It's kind of a CDI thing

If you go the needle route filling if u live in mass it's a clean needle state go you local drug store and buy a needle, there cheap as hell,Im not kidding ..my buddy works at a Walgreens and couldn't believe on his first day the line of junkies .. in the name of public health But you can't buy a glock new...

I do this a lot at work ,get a cheap brush
And smear it over the letters then wipe with lint free rag with some solvent .

At a green shoot last year, AWS was getting these questions all the time on how to paint their Zombie Annilator lowers; the response they give is use a oil based sharpie paint pen and wipe the overspill of with a wet towel. I've also found laquer thinner on a q-tip to work well at taking off paint overages when I lighten up painted sights.

Yeah, I used a lacquer stik on my M&P. Bought a red and a white, meaning to do my AR, but I never got around to it after trying it on the M&P. I used WD40 to clean up excess.

Back
Top Bottom