Padding under safe

Misfitmike63

NES Member
Did some searching, but didn’t find it.

My cousin is having new vinyl floors put in his basement and was wondering what he should put under his safe for padding/moisture barrier when he moves the safe back in. He does have a golden rod in the safe.

Hope this answers some of the questions and concerns.

Did some searching, but didn’t find it.

My cousin is having new vinyl floors put in his basement and was wondering what he should put under his safe for padding/moisture barrier when he moves the safe back in. He does have a golden rod in the safe.
A built up platform made out of pressure treated 2X4's or 2X6's and 1/2 or 3/4" plywood about 4" -6" higher than the floor. You don't want your safe sitting directly on the floor for many reasons, a burst pipe flood being one of them.

Moisture coming thru the concrete is another.....even though its on vinyl...you'll get moisture coming thru with steel on the floor.

It can be built sized to the base of your safe for less than 100 dollars, build it 12" OC and fasten the frame to the concrete with decent L brackets bolted in with concrete anchors, and put the plywood on. Then you can bolt the base of the safe from the inside right into the frame. And also bolt safe into the wall studs from the inside so no one can move it.

If your really worried about moisture up thru that fill between the joist bays with foam, and put heavy gauge plastic sheeting on the frame before you plywood. Overkill...IMHO.

Attachments

• 870B3C29-25D7-452F-A97C-1E7F0380BEBB.jpeg
    870B3C29-25D7-452F-A97C-1E7F0380BEBB.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
Last edited:
If you're planning to bolt the safe down, putting any kind of padding exposes you to a rock attack. If the safe can rock at all two people can oscillate it back and fourth and the bolts will snap pretty fast.

I have mine in the basement on cinderblocks and cut sections of Azek/PVC deck boards since those won’t absorb moisture and won’t rot

If you're planning to bolt the safe down, putting any kind of padding exposes you to a rock attack. If the safe can rock at all two people can oscillate it back and fourth and the bolts will snap pretty fast.
Any safe should be fully bolted into the wall studs as well as the floor so this can never happen.

Back
Top Bottom