Packing ammo for airline travel???

yanici

NES Member
Airline travel question. I've got one of those small lock boxes for my gun, but what kind of box can I put a small amount of handgun ammo in? It seems that the ammo has to be in the original box and then packed into a lockable metal or wooden box that is specifically for ammo. I only want to carry, say, 20 rounds. Any ideas? Gotta be cheap, too, like me.

I wouldn't contend with the hassle of 20rds if I were flying anywhere in the USA, I'd just buy it at my destination.

You can be assured that some a**h*** in the airport will f*** your trip up in some way over it.

As I understand it, it needs to be securely boxed and is limited in weight.

This is from Delta's website...

"Small arms ammunition, in quantities not exceeding 5 kg (11 lbs.) per person, are allowed as checked-baggage only when securely boxed and intended for that person's own use. More than one passenger may not combine quantities into one package."

I've flown with guns and ammo several times, through a few different air ports, haven't had a problem yet. I just put the ammo in factory boxes or MTM boxes. The boxes go right in the middle of my suitcase. I've never had them weigh it. I just tell them right away it is under 11#, right after I give the TSA guys scanning the bag a heads-up that my bag is "interesting". My gun or guns go in a locked pistol case in the same suitcase.

It is no big deal, just go in knowing the rules. In about 8 trips through, I've had them open my bag once to look at the ammo boxes.

Last edited:
The only issue I've had is being told it needs to be locked in a separate box than the firearm. I just buy my ammo at my destination now. I want to keep my interactions with the double digit IQ TSA employees to a minimum.

i flew to Florida last Feburary and they just needed to be seperate. guns locked in a suitable container and ammo in the stowed luggage.

I haven't encountered anywhere that said ammo had to be in a locked case separate from the firearm. It could be an airline specific rule. Believe it or not, TSA's actual site says you can lock your ammo in the same case as your gun, as long as the ammo is properly boxed. However, you have to show the ticketing agent your gun, sign a card, and lock it up in front of them. Having ammo in there too might be a little much for them. I just lock up the gun and throw the boxed ammo in the bag. I had 400-500 rounds with me last time.

In my situation of going to matches, buying where I go isn't an option. I try to ship most of my ammo needed, but sometimes that doesn't work out. Even when I do ship, I take what I can with me, just in case something happened to the shipped ammo. Don't want to mess up an expensive trip.

Wow you got ones with double digits?

The last person I got with a permanent tan and interesting head wear didn’t make that grade. She asked for my ticket and ID. I handed her the ticket and my MA LTC.
She turned it over a few times in her hand looking at it and then asked me, “don’t you have a driver’s license?”
I replied, “I’m flying, not driving.......”

I don’t think she got it.

It was probably the Airline's policy. I don't remember which one it was. After that incident I stopped taking ammo with me and just buying it when I got to my destination.

I agree with Steve. All of the times that I've flown, the airline's regulations state that ammunition can be in the same box as the firearm, but it must be in the wooden, fiber, etc. box specificially designed to hold ammunition. BUT, ammo tends to go zinging around in your baggage and can beat the heck out of a gun, so I've only put it in the gun case one time, and I duct-taped it to the case.

One more thing, I always print out the latest firearm policy from both TSA and the specific airline. It has been useful more than once. The clerks can't have everything memorized and so far, they have always concurred with the printed policy.

I realize this thread is a bit old, but can any of you seasoned travelers advise on whether or not the checked suitcase must be locked, if traveling with ammunition (no firearm)? I am below the carrier's (Continental) 11 pound limit, but I am not clear on the locking issue. I would otherwise just purchase ammo at my destination, but I have all this lead-shot shot shells that are restricted at my usual range (due to nearby town water supply) and would love to be able to use up at my Thanksgiving Turkey Day shoot in the Wild West.

I realize this thread is a bit old, but can any of you seasoned travelers advise on whether or not the checked suitcase must be locked, if traveling with ammunition (no firearm)? I am below the carrier's (Continental) 11 pound limit, but I am not clear on the locking issue. I would otherwise just purchase ammo at my destination, but I have all this lead-shot shot shells that are restricted at my usual range (due to nearby town water supply) and would love to be able to use up at my Thanksgiving Turkey Day shoot in the Wild West.

I always lock my checked luggage when it has a firearm/ammo in it. While any person with less than double digit IQ can get past the lock, it may give them pause.

One of the confusing issues in this thread is the confusion over storing your firearm in the locked case vs carrying ammo in the same luggage. Its really two seperate issues. The firearm has to be in a locked container. The Car Safe is (IMHO), the best way to store/carry your firearm in the luggage. I secure the cable to the telescoping handle legs and go from there.

The ammo can be carried in the same luggage, but usually not in the locked case. At least on most airlines and per TSA rules. I carry two mags in a mag pouch (loaded) and the rounds from the third mag in the box of ammo it came in.

I also carry the specific airlines policies as well as TSAs when I go flying.

YMMV

I always lock my checked luggage when it has a firearm/ammo in it. While any person with less than double digit IQ can get past the lock, it may give them pause.

I was under the impression that you couldn't lock checked luggage, and that they would cut the lock if you tried it. Do you lock it after they scan it, or am I just plain wrong (always a decent possibility)?

I was under the impression that you couldn't lock checked luggage, and that they would cut the lock if you tried it. Do you lock it after they scan it, or am I just plain wrong (always a decent possibility)?

I use a TSA approved lock, that they can open if they wish. It has been my experience that when the TSA actually checks the bag, I'm there to provide the key for the gun safe.

The only issue I've had is being told it needs to be locked in a separate box than the firearm. I just buy my ammo at my destination now. I want to keep my interactions with the double digit IQ TSA employees to a minimum.

How do you manage to get the intelligent TSA employees?[laugh2]

If you're travelling with (small amounts) of ammunition, but NO gun, do you even have to mention it?

No.

http://www.nraila.org/Hunting/Read/HuntingArticles.aspx?ID=204

NRA: Do air travelers specifically and separately need to declare both firearms and ammunition? In addition to inspection of firearms, does TSA make any effort to inspect ammunition in checked baggage?

TSA: Only firearms are required to be declared. If TSA has a security concern with a checked bag and we discover improperly packed ammunition we will remove the loose or improperly packed ammunition and turn it over to the airline for disposal.

Last edited:
The ammo does not have to be in a locked container, only in a box or container which is suitable for the ammunition. (i.e cardboard, or plastic boxes). As long as you are under weight, which I have never had them check, you shouldn't even have to declare it. Just follow their policy on how you are packing it. You can put a luggage TSA lock on the bag, but I don't believe that is even required. Only the firearm needs a NON TSA lock on the case.

I was flying British Airways to London for business. In the line to the check-in counter there was a guy checking boarding passes and IDs.

He looks at my papers and asks: "Do you have anything that might be a weapon?"

Me: "Um... Besides myself, ah...."

This guy behind the person checking the papers (who was NOT TSA mind you, but uniformed as a BA employee) starts to laugh and asks: "Marine?"

I'm not, never was, but just shook my head none the less. Guy with my license just kind of looks annoyed and hands me back my stuff.

I mean REALLY, who here would not be able to take the average carry-on and not find something that "might be a weapon"? I'm thinking "great, everyone in front of me is an idiot or lying."

As for ammo, just follow the rules, or if you don't need much, just buy it where you are going.

I've had TSA search my bag without me present that had a firearm, a factory box of ammo, a 30lb sack of tools, and a bunch of weird electronics tools with zero issues on domestic flights.

I pack two 20 round boxes of ammo in my pistol case when I fly. The foam is cut out for an M&P, one mag, and two boxes of ammo. The second mag flies in the butt of the gun and the ammo boxes are stacked one on top of the other. The foam is plenty deep to fit two boxes stacked.

The only airline that I am aware of that requires ammo in a separate piece of luggage from the firearm is Air Tran. I choose not to fly them for that reason alone. Delta and TSA regs have no issue with ammo packed in factory boxes then packed in the same case as the firearm.

I lock my case (Pelican) with a pair of non-TSA locks. I lock the luggage where the pistol case goes with TSA locks.

Continental requires that
Handguns must be packed in hard-side lockable luggage. Baggage containing handguns must be locked at the time of acceptance by Continental Airlines and the key or combination retained in the passenger's custody.

United lists their firearm rules under "Restricted Items" and not "Special Items" like all of the other carriers I looked at.

Back
Top Bottom