• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Outback Arms transfer fee???

I try to buy from my LGS whenever possible, so I always call first to see if he can get it. Now that most vendors are charging MA sales tax, by the time you add in shipping and a transfer fee he can come pretty close to what I was going to pay anyway. Before, when the out of state vendors weren’t charging sales tax, it was a bit more difficult for him to price match. A $2k rifle from him was $125 more just because of the tax. Back then I would negotiated a transfer fee based on what he would have made if he had sold direct to me. As is true of most LGSs, his margins aren't that high and he could make as much off a decent transfer fee as he could selling a one-off rifle of a brand he didn’t carry to me. We’d both come out ahead.

And I thought it was spelled “NARINA”.
The_Chronicles_of_Narnia
My last online buy actually had no tax included. But most are taxed now.

Really? Always that Gene and family where fine.
I used to buy a lot from them (2012), they were always very nice. Even when I disappeared for a year and came back, they still remembered my name.

Not sure if things changed now. But I remember even back then people were talking crap about the place, I never understood why.

I've tried a few places in So. NH for different buys. Most used to be $25. Last time on a net purchase was $35.
(Couple of years back)
Worst was a batch of lowers from PSA I think. Counter guy says OK good to go that's $100. I says that's for 4 lowers? Their all on the same form.
Yup $100, of course you could have bought ours and got the transfers free.

Haven't been back since. f*** him.

Paid $20 last Saturday for a transfer at 619DW Guns & Ammo in Merrimack.

Prompt, courteous service. Couldn't have been easier.

They do a ton of transfers at 619DW.

Tell the shipper to put your name on the outside of the box, and have the last four digits of your tracking number handy.

I was in and out in no time at all.

I know what I am about to propose is a crazy idea, did you try calling them?

That's what happens when you dont call and speak with people before shipping something.
1. I'm talking about a face to face transfer not shipping something.
2. Would anybody actually ship something blindly to an FFL without talking to them first???????

2. Would anybody actually ship something blindly to an FFL without talking to them first???????
Yes, a lot of people, ask any FFL.

I believe there was an issue I read about here of a dude that shipped something an FFL wouldn't transfer, but he never called to confirm.

Anybody know what the transfer fee is at Outback Arms? Thanks.

P.S. Never used to think about it but walked into an FFL last fall and got hit with $50. Always assumed $25 (good) to $35 was the range. Now I ask.

Eventually inbound transfers at most dealers will be $100. (with an exception for frequent fliers and friends etc) It's going to be pretty funny at that point,.

Last edited:
Transfers can be a royal pain. They tend to be very high touch when people want to call/email/text you 20 times letting you know they paid, letting you know it shipped, telling you the tracking says it will arrive tomorrow, asking who NARINIAN is who signed for it, can I come today, why are you not responding to me.... And it goes on. My regulars know to just buy and wait. Once the gun is here, I have taken possession (others sign sometimes), it is opened and logged in, I always text my customer letting them know they can pickup.

I suspect other shops have the same challenges where for the $25 fee the customer wants to be coddled on a 4 hour schedule until the transfer is complete. That results in higher transfer fees to cover all the wasted time.

But for the OP, just call the damn shop and ask!

I had a discussion with a friend of mine as to why a certain dealer (not anyone we know, btw) was kind of a dick to him on the phone.

I explained to him " You called him, didnt you, before the gun got there? Let them call you. Period. All records have been broken this year, every dealer is going to get pissed at you
for timesinking them. I mean in a perfect world he would have just said to you "It's $25 if I dont have to talk to you and you wait till I call you, it's $100 if you are going to ask me 48 questions which have little or nothing to do with you getting your gun" .

Early Oct we (the seller and I) paid $35 for a rifle transfer. Mid Dec we paid $50.00 for a pistol. Both of those were ftf in state transfers. Early Jan when I called to ask, they said they weren't accepting incoming transfers from out of state.

To agree with the consensus here, the guy there was an a-hole the first time I went in there. He wasn't as bad the second time I visited. The woman there
has been pleasant and friendly while handling the transfers and on the phone. Their shelves and cases were pretty flush on each occasion.

Downtown Plymouth they charged me $30 for an incoming rifle and the $30 on two other occasions for outgoing rifles. Then they wanted to charge 10% of the price on an incoming rifle that I paid $1100 for but backed down to $50 when I questioned the price.

I guess, as mentioned above, they charge whatever they want.
I used to buy a lot from them (2012), they were always very nice. Even when I disappeared for a year and came back, they still remembered my name.

Not sure if things changed now. But I remember even back then people were talking crap about the place, I never understood why.
Only thing I can think is at one point the owner was running the shop and asphault business. I think he was working out of state for a while and “hired” others to run the shop. ?

Interesting thread, sounds like a shop to stay away from for sure.

I love the posts about "last time I was in there, don't know if different now," from ten years ago, seven years ago etc. Some of you maybe even have your 3G phone, about to be shut down soon?

Interesting thread, sounds like a shop to stay away from for sure.

I love the posts about "last time I was in there, don't know if different now," from ten years ago, seven years ago etc. Some of you maybe even have your 3G phone, about to be shut down soon?
Not everyone goes to gun stores weekly or even yearly. Outback Arms opened what 2010 and even with sandy hook and all the other BS was one of the better stocked gun shops around. Gene , iirc his brother and his daughter do well I stop in there a few times a year when I have a little cash I csn spend .
Often buying reloading stuff. I have not spent alot there and Gene and company have never been rude or dis respectful
Anyhow I guess every shop has its moments

You would think doing transfers would bring more business to the FFL but....With the Mass roster and the hoops of certain skus being allowed and others not some simply don't want to deal with the potential unintended mishap. I don't always like it but respect thier business choice. I do more business at the FFL willing to work with me. I find most gun stores have the socially challenged staff or they have bad days too. Others are great. When folks are that way just talk to them more or find that subject that may get thier interest. Often selling guns isn't as exciting as buying them so we're smiling and they're just working... lol

You would think doing transfers would bring more business to the FFL but....With the Mass roster and the hoops of certain skus being allowed and others not some simply don't want to deal with the potential unintended mishap. I don't always like it but respect thier business choice. I do more business at the FFL willing to work with me.
I dont get the no transfer thing. I guess it depends on how efficient they are.
Largest transfer I did at once was estate of 14 guns . $20 each Adam if Acme banged it out in about 35-45 min

Back in the day it was $15 @ some places. $25 was the norm. $35 was high.

I called a couple shops in NH recently and $35-$40. Some places have some BS policies about different x-fer fees based on where it came from, or if it's in- state....

f*** that noise 😤. It's the same to them and they just bilking you for extra money because they lost out on a sale b/c they charge too much.
Not sure where in NH you are but my fee is $20 still. ;)

Back
Top Bottom