Outback Arms transfer fee???

spt_1955

NES Member
Anybody know what the transfer fee is at Outback Arms? Thanks.

P.S. Never used to think about it but walked into an FFL last fall and got hit with $50. Always assumed $25 (good) to $35 was the range. Now I ask.

Back in the day it was $15 @ some places. $25 was the norm. $35 was high.

I called a couple shops in NH recently and $35-$40. Some places have some BS policies about different x-fer fees based on where it came from, or if it's in- state....

f*** that noise 😤. It's the same to them and they just bilking you for extra money because they lost out on a sale b/c they charge too much.

P.S. Never used to think about it but walked into an FFL last fall and got hit with $50. Always assumed $25 (good) to $35 was the range. Now I ask.
I know what I am about to propose is a crazy idea, did you try calling them?

That's what happens when you dont call and speak with people before shipping something.

This happened to me once.... a local guy had opened up, and I had asked him if he took inbound. He said sure, 25 transfer fee no problem.
Bought something....sent it to him. Went to let him know and he said that I should have checked with him first, as he had one in stock, and because of that I had to pay more for the transfer....like 75 dollars now....he actually called it a "tax".

I explained to him that I was never told I had to check what was "in your stock" before ordering online........

Though I somewhat understood his position, he was charging $200 more for the same gun and wouldnt budge on price. So...and luckily the firearm hadn't shipped yet and I rerouted it to another FFL I knew who wouldn't care and charged me the same.

Never dealt with this guy again. He closed up shop after 2 years..........

So......The key to a good experience is not to just ship something to someone and walk in......... because some of these dealers may have stock already on what you bought, and be butthurt by this. Some dealers consider transfers monkey work and they are above it and charge a lot of it.

Now, I deal with one FFL only who is in my town, who has very little stock, and specializes for inbound online buys. He charges 25 dollars.

I still always ask if its OK before ordering. Why do I bother? If he can get it cheaper, or had stock on it, he would tell me, and its plain courtesy to let him know.

After he gives it the OK to order, I send him the an email copy of the order, and tentative ship date, and time/date to do transfer.

Everyone is informed and happy, and there are no surprises.

Last edited:
FFLs set their own fees for transfers, there is no rate. They also decide if they will do out of state transfers, inbound or outbound.

Policies on frame transfers vary as well, so it pays to ask first.

Some FFLs have increased fees during the panicdemic as well.

I've never had occasion to use them, but BandKsales in Natick advertises $25.00 for transfers. Nice people and I've bought a couple of guns from them.

Outback Arms? Went in once. Unfriendly with a palpable sense of undeserved superiority. Drive a little further to another FFL and don’t patronize that store until he has the giant bug removed from his balloon knot.

Not sure why people keep getting butt hurt over transfer fees. Some shops use high fees to discourage using them for transfers, some won’t even do it at all. I don’t blame them. Pick up the phone - there’s plenty of FFLs that are happy to do it for $25. Skinflints rejoice!

There was a time, back when GB's were large and often-enough, some LGS's would have low fees, and even lower for multiple transfers. I think this is what some got used to or have heard as lore. [cheers]

Last edited:
Early Oct we (the seller and I) paid $35 for a rifle transfer. Mid Dec we paid $50.00 for a pistol. Both of those were ftf in state transfers. Early Jan when I called to ask, they said they weren't accepting incoming transfers from out of state.

To agree with the consensus here, the guy there was an a-hole the first time I went in there. He wasn't as bad the second time I visited. The woman there
has been pleasant and friendly while handling the transfers and on the phone. Their shelves and cases were pretty flush on each occasion.

Downtown Plymouth they charged me $30 for an incoming rifle and the $30 on two other occasions for outgoing rifles. Then they wanted to charge 10% of the price on an incoming rifle that I paid $1100 for but backed down to $50 when I questioned the price.

I guess, as mentioned above, they charge whatever they want.

Last edited:
Transfers can be a royal pain. They tend to be very high touch when people want to call/email/text you 20 times letting you know they paid, letting you know it shipped, telling you the tracking says it will arrive tomorrow, asking who NARINIAN is who signed for it, can I come today, why are you not responding to me.... And it goes on. My regulars know to just buy and wait. Once the gun is here, I have taken possession (others sign sometimes), it is opened and logged in, I always text my customer letting them know they can pickup.

I suspect other shops have the same challenges where for the $25 fee the customer wants to be coddled on a 4 hour schedule until the transfer is complete. That results in higher transfer fees to cover all the wasted time.

But for the OP, just call the damn shop and ask!

Transfers can be a royal pain. They tend to be very high touch when people want to call/email/text you 20 times letting you know they paid, letting you know it shipped, telling you the tracking says it will arrive tomorrow, asking who NARINIAN is who signed for it, can I come today, why are you not responding to me.... And it goes on. My regulars know to just buy and wait. Once the gun is here, I have taken possession (others sign sometimes), it is opened and logged in, I always text my customer letting them know they can pickup.

I suspect other shops have the same challenges where for the $25 fee the customer wants to be coddled on a 4 hour schedule until the transfer is complete. That results in higher transfer fees to cover all the wasted time.

The shop probably charged him $60 for being a moron and not calling.

Also, who is NARINIAN?

I try to buy from my LGS whenever possible, so I always call first to see if he can get it. Now that most vendors are charging MA sales tax, by the time you add in shipping and a transfer fee he can come pretty close to what I was going to pay anyway. Before, when the out of state vendors weren’t charging sales tax, it was a bit more difficult for him to price match. A $2k rifle from him was $125 more just because of the tax. Back then I would negotiated a transfer fee based on what he would have made if he had sold direct to me. As is true of most LGSs, his margins aren't that high and he could make as much off a decent transfer fee as he could selling a one-off rifle of a brand he didn’t carry to me. We’d both come out ahead.

And I thought it was spelled “NARINA”.
The_Chronicles_of_Narnia

Yeah....from the dealer side.....try not to be a fxcking weenie. I email once asking if they have a problem with me doing on transfer on X gun. The answer is always No.
I then buy the gun and only when I have the estimated ship date, I email that and the invoice details, and ask what pickup time is good for the dealer....not for me.....the dealer.

If i have to wait a week, not that Ive had to.....but I could care less.

So two emails total......if your sending more than that your high maintenance and I would expect a dealer to lose their mind if they are dealing with 3-4 of your type every day.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom