• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Out of state with shotgun in CT

Hi All,

I'm new here. I have a LTC-A license in my home state of MA. That basically means that I can purchase, possess, and carry pistols, shotguns, and rifles. I will be moving to CT within two years. I don't own any firearms now but will be purchasing a shotgun soon. I don't intend to own any any pistols/rifles.

What do I need to do to legally transport my shotgun to an outdoor range in CT?

Thanks!

unloaded/cased or uncased/unloaded/action open. you dont need a permit to transport non assault weapon long guns.

edit: my condolences on moving to CT.

While crossing the border, fire two blasts into the air to let malloy know you're coming. Hopefully, hell run away from this state.

Thanks for the quick reply. That's simple!

What's the story with the "long gun certificate" that I have seen mentioned online? For some odd reason, I'm having trouble finding a good source of information.

Thanks for the quick reply. That's simple!

What's the story with the "long gun certificate" that I have seen mentioned online? For some odd reason, I'm having trouble finding a good source of information.
new law to buy long guns you need this

What if I get my CT pistol permit? Can I buy long arms with just that? Do I need a long gun certificate in addition to the pistol permit to buy long arms? Sorry if these questions sound dumb!

Last edited:
What if I get my CT pistol permit? Can I buy long arms with just that? Do I need a long gun certificate in addition to the pistol permit to buy long arms? Sorry if these questions sound dumb!
get the permit, it does everything all in one, it is a shall issue, so you do the mandated forms and will get issued.

No permits are required to own, carry or use a long gun in ct. You don't have to do anything unless you want to buy a long gun in CT.

A long gun can be carried openly and loaded in ct. If you are in a car, it must be unloaded but there are no other requirements. It could be across your lap if you choose.

No permits are required to own, carry or use a long gun in ct. You don't have to do anything unless you want to buy a long gun in CT.

A long gun can be carried openly and loaded in ct. If you are in a car, it must be unloaded but there are no other requirements. It could be across your lap if you choose.

You mean, unless he wants to buy ammo to actually go shooting.

Thats correct. But but we weren't taking about ammo. The question was specifically about the legality of bringing a shotgun into CT.

And like I said, other than keeping it unloaded in a car, there pretty much aren't any restrictions on the possession or carry of a shotgun.

I didn't realize that the pistol permit allowed me to purchase long arms in CT. I'm guessing this won't change in the comng months. Thanks :)

Back
Top Bottom