Out of state transfer to MA

Hey guys new to the board and had a question. Recently moved to RI from Louisiana, I was a Deputy Sheriff there for the last 3 years. Graduated from a POST certified academy and wanted to know if I were to apply as a reserve officer in Massachusetts would I have to attend the academy?

thanks in advance

yes, you must be academy trained in MA to be a sworn officer in MA

LenS would be the guy to ask about this

AFAIK, as a reserve there is no reciprocity. The FT Police Academy does have some reciprocity in the sense that I think that you would have to take only part of the Academy but I'm not 100% on it.

Welcome and if you want any more detailed info on it, please Email me (from username) not PMs as I've been max'd out twice in the last 24 hrs. A long time friend is the Director at one of the Central MA MPTC Academies and I can hit her up for more accurate and current info if needed for you.

To be a reserve you will have to attend the reserve/part-time academy. More info is on mass.gov

I believe if you have a POST academy under your belt you can transfer to a FT job in MA, you might have to take the MASS laws part of a class though

I believe this is correct. My chief (came from NH) didn't go back thru the academy (but he should have [smile]). However, I don't think there is that same provision for the R/I Academy and that is what I offered to check out for the OP.

There is some sort of reciprocity with the RO academy in MA, not sure about RI though

Back
Top Bottom