Out of State Residence Storage in State

Hello,

So I had a quick question for anyone more familiar with CT laws than I. Under CT from what I understand it requires over 184 aggregate days living in state to be considered a resident for tax purposes and also for obtaining a resident carry license. I have my home states license, as well as a CT out of state carry permit. However I do spend a lot of time in CT, and wanted to know if it would be legal to store a (CT legal) firearm in a dwelling that I stay in (family) so long as it was stored appropriately (locked container, away from prohibited persons, away from children, not large cap etc etc).

Any thoughts? I travel a lot for work, and would love the flexibility to have one stored safely at my family's home. It's unfortunate that currently the person in charge of the home does not have a permit yet. Thanks in advance,

Who's going to know? You are legal since you have the necessary permits to posses the firearm. IS this any different from storing the firearm in your car in a locked safe while you park on the street?

Last edited:
As far as I know. You can buy a long gun in ct with a act pistol permit however you cannot buy a handgun because you gave a Mass address!!! Well you can buy it but it has to be shipped to Mass FFL if it is a handgun..
Been there done that

Last edited:
Some of the CT guys can chime in, but sounds like you're pushing MA laws over CT. No license needed for possession in the home.

See this is what I couldn't tell. I had no idea CT still had this in place, so as long as my family is not prohibited and does not have access to it and I am legally allowed to own/carry (which seems to be moot to this point) then there are no issues?

That just seems insane to me coming from MA

You are confusing tax purposes with simple residency.

You are a resident of CT if you make a home here while you are here. In other words if you a weekend place in CT and go there for a half dozen weekends per year, you are a resident of CT while you are in CT for the purposes of firearms ownership.

I know several people who are domiciled (primary residence) in NY City. They have a weekend/summer place in CT. They have a CT resident pistol permit and own firearms there.

The ATF is very clear on this. Google form 4473. Then go to page 4 and look at the insttructions for questions 2 and 20. It is black and white. The ATF even discusses the scenario above with weekend homes.

You are confusing MA laws with CT laws.

To clarify, lets break this into 3 sections. 1) long guns 2) hand guns 3) Assault weapons.

1) Long guns that are not assault weapons - CT has no restrictions on who can posses, transport, or carry long guns. As an out of stater, you can do whatever you want with a long gun. No licenses or permits are required. The residents of the home where they would be stored do not need to have any licenses or permits and can have free access to the firearms when you are gone. There are no requirments to lock up guns in CT. The bottom line is that you or the people whose home you are storing your guns at can do whatever they want with your long guns. Provided they don't drive in a motor vehicle with them loaded.

2) Handguns - you would be breaking the law while transporting to the person's house if you don't have a CT Pistol Permit. However, once the guns are in the person's home everyone is fine. No permits are required to possess handguns in your home. There are a few exceptions for transport outside the home 1) buying/selling 2) repairing 3) formal instruction 4) formal competition.

Again - no permit is needed to possess a handgun in someone's home. There is no legal requirement to lock the gun. CT's safe storage law basically says you are on the hook if a child is injured or killed. But it does not say it must be locked.

3) Assault weapons - PA13-3 made several changes that resulted in many many AR or AKs that weren't considered AWs to now be considered AWs. A MA COMPLIANT AR OR AK IS MOST LIKELY ILLEGAL IN CT. Don't bring it to CT.

Remember that although CT laws suck, in certain ways they are fundamentally better than MA. Specifically no license or permit is required to simply possess any firearms. NONE!!!.

Anyone can bring any firearm they legally own in CT (other than an AW) and leave it a friends house for them to keep and have access to. No licenses needed.

Hopefully this helps.

Don

Last edited:
You are confusing tax purposes with simple residency.

You are a resident of CT if you make a home here while you are here. In other words if you a weekend place in CT and go there for a half dozen weekends per year, you are a resident of CT while you are in CT for the purposes of firearms ownership.

I know several people who are domiciled (primary residence) in NY City. They have a weekend/summer place in CT. They have a CT resident pistol permit and own firearms there.

The ATF is very clear on this. Google form 4473. Then go to page 4 and look at the insttructions for questions 2 and 20. It is black and white. The ATF even discusses the scenario above with weekend homes.

You are confusing MA laws with CT laws.

To clarify, lets break this into 3 sections. 1) long guns 2) hand guns 3) Assault weapons.

1) Long guns that are not assault weapons - CT has no restrictions on who can posses, transport, or carry long guns. As an out of stater, you can do whatever you want with a long gun. No licenses or permits are required. The residents of the home where they would be stored do not need to have any licenses or permits and can have free access to the firearms when you are gone. There are no requirments to lock up guns in CT. The bottom line is that you or the people whose home you are storing your guns at can do whatever they want with your long guns. Provided they don't drive in a motor vehicle with them loaded.

2) Handguns - you would be breaking the law while transporting to the person's house if you don't have a CT Pistol Permit. However, once the guns are in the person's home everyone is fine. No permits are required to possess handguns in your home. There are a few exceptions for transport outside the home 1) buying/selling 2) repairing 3) formal instruction 4) formal competition.

Again - no permit is needed to possess a handgun in someone's home. There is no legal requirement to lock the gun. CT's safe storage law basically says you are on the hook if a child is injured or killed. But it does not say it must be locked.

3) Assault weapons - PA13-3 made several changes that resulted in many many AR or AKs that weren't considered AWs to now be considered AWs. A MA COMPLIANT AR OR AK IS MOST LIKELY ILLEGAL IN CT. Don't bring it to CT.

Remember that although CT laws suck, in certain ways they are fundamentally better than MA. Specifically no license or permit is required to simply possess any firearms. NONE!!!.

Anyone can bring any firearm they legally own in CT (other than an AW) and leave it a friends house for them to keep and have access to. No licenses needed.

Hopefully this helps.

Don

I knew #3, but that is incredibly helpful. Thank you for the time!

As far as I know. You can buy a long gun in ct with a act pistol permit however you cannot buy a handgun because you gave a Mass address!!! Well you can buy it but it has to be shipped to Mass FFL if it is a handgun..
Been there done that

Thats not quite the scope of the question...

Been there done that

Thats not quite the scope of the question...

Its also wrong.

If you are domiciled in another state, Mass lets use for example. But you have a weekend home in CT, you would apply for a RESIDENT CT Pistol Permit using your CT residence address.

Once you have that, you would use that to purchase a gun. The form ATF 4473 as well as the CT form DPS3 require you to list an address. You would put your CT address. The ATF 4473 asks for a drivers license number. You would use your MA drivers license.

Nothing else should be needed. Your CT Pistol Permit provides proof of your CT residence.

Now lets try something different.

You are a Ma55h0le and own a weekend place in NH. You prefer to open carry so you don't have a NH P&R license. (Its not needed to carry openly). You go into a gun shop and want to buy an evil Glock 17 with a 100 round babykiller magazine. You would use a government document like a tax bill to prove your NH residence and you would use your Mass drivers license.

Again, this is all in black and white in the instructions to questions 2 and 18 on the 4473 instructions.

Don

Question 2 instructions

Question 2. Current Residence Address: A rural route (RR)provided the transferee/buyer lives in a State or locality where it is considered a
legal residence address. County and Parish are one and the same.
If the transferee/buyer is a member of the Armed Forces on active dutyState of residence is the State in which his/her permanent duty station is located.
If the service member is acquiring a firearm in a State where his/herduty station is located, but resides in a different State, the transferee/buyer must
list both his/her permanent duty station address and his/her residence address in
response to question 2. If the transferee/buyer has two States of residence, the
transferee/buyer should list his/her current residence address in response to
question 2 (e.g., if the transferee/buyer is purchasing a firearm while staying
at his/her weekend home in State X, he/she should list the addrresponse to question 2).

Last edited:
Instructions for question 18 - Sorry for the fragmentation. That's how it pasted and i'm not going to spend 20 min straightening it out.

Question 18.b. Supplemental Documentation: Licensees may accept a combination of valid government-issued documents to satisfy the identification document
requirements of the law. The required valid government-issued photo identification
document bearing the name, photograph, and date of birth of transferee/buyer
may
be supplemented by another valid, government-issued document showing the
transferee’s/buyer’s
residence address. This
supplemental documentation should
be recorded in question 18.b., with the issuing authority and type of identification
presented.
For example, if the transferee/buyer has two States of residence and is
trying
to buy a handgun in State X, he may provide a driver’s
license (showing
his
name,
date of birth, and photograph)
issued by State Y
and another governmentissued
document (such
as a tax document)
from State X showing his residence
address.

A
valid electronic document from a government website may be used as
supplemental
documentation provided it contains the transferee’s/buyer’s
name and
current
residence address.

Its also wrong.

If you are domiciled in another state, Mass lets use for example. But you have a weekend home in CT, you would apply for a RESIDENT CT Pistol Permit using your CT residence address.

Once you have that, you would use that to purchase a gun. The form ATF 4473 as well as the CT form DPS3 require you to list an address. You would put your CT address. The ATF 4473 asks for a drivers license number. You would use your MA drivers license.

Nothing else should be needed. Your CT Pistol Permit provides proof of your CT residence.

Now lets try something different.

You are a Ma55h0le and own a weekend place in NH. You prefer to open carry so you don't have a NH P&R license. (Its not needed to carry openly). You go into a gun shop and want to buy an evil Glock 17 with a 100 round babykiller magazine. You would use a government document like a tax bill to prove your NH residence and you would use your Mass drivers license.

Again, this is all in black and white in the instructions to questions 2 and 18 on the 4473 instructions.

Don

Question 2 instructions

Question 2. Current Residence Address: Aruralroute(RR)provided the transferee/buyer lives in a State or locality where it is considered a
legal residence address. County and Parish are one and the same.
If the transferee/buyer is a member of the Armed Forces on active dutyState of residence is the State in which his/her permanent duty station is located.
IftheservicememberisacquiringafirearminaStatewherehis/herduty station is located, but resides in a different State, the transferee/buyer must
list both his/her permanent duty station address and his/her residence address in
response to question 2. If the transferee/buyer has two States of residence, the
transferee/buyer should list his/her current residence address in response to
question 2 (e.g., if the transferee/buyer is purchasing a firearm while staying
at his/her weekend home in State X, he/she should list the addrresponse to question 2).

I've never put a drivers license number on a 4473. It asks for photo ID and that ID number, doesn't have to be a DL

My apologies. Its not the 4473 that requires a DL. Its the CT form DPS-67. Either way in a firearms transfer in CT, you would need to provide a DL state and number for a CT purchase from a dealer.

If the transfer does not involve a licensee (dealer or manufacturer) then just a DPS-3 is required. ( No ATF 4473 or CT DPS-67 )

Remember, a resident with a weekend home CAN buy from non-licensees because the ATF considers you to be a resident of that state when you are there for the weekend.

Again, this is black and white. You are not pushing the envelope. The ATF EXPLICITLY has said they consider someone to be the resident of a given state when they are visiting a weekend home in that state.

Don

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom