• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

other NH small game&varmint hunters

Hello all.I live in Milford NH and I have allways enoyed small game hunting,Squirrels.Racoon.Fox Coyote. a grouse or two.So where are all the other small game and varmint hunters? David

Hello all.I live in Milford NH and I have allways enoyed small game hunting,Squirrels.Racoon.Fox Coyote. a grouse or two.So where are all the other small game and varmint hunters? David

Is it the pelts that you hunt them for? I've always been curious what you do with the rest of the animal after you take the pelt. Do you eat a fox or a racoon? And, what do you do with the rest of the animal if you don't eat it?

Well lets see.When I hunt rabbits, squirrel or grouse.I eat them.I have had one yote and one racoon mounted.The rest I gave to someone that skinned them out and tanned the furs/pelts.

Well lets see.When I hunt rabbits, squirrel or grouse.I eat them.I have had one yote and one racoon mounted.The rest I gave to someone that skinned them out and tanned the furs/pelts.

Do you know if there is any use for the rest of the meat at all, or is it just thrown in the garbage?

Ok. You eat it then. [thinking]
True or not, that's a chance I ain't gonna take.

Nope. Me either. I'm with you. People have reportedly contracted Rabies from eating the animal. However, it was due to an open wound being exposed to spinal fluid, brain tissue, etc. Not worth the chance for some lousy coon meat.

I hunt squirrel, woodcock, partridge, deer and the occasional unfortunate woodchuck. I have started thinking about coyote but haven't taken the plunge yet. I live within a 15 minute walk of the Merrimack river and the land behind my house down to the river is all woods, mostly state forest and my neighbor's land... I've shot lots of woodcock in there and a fair amount of grays and partridge...by the time deer season rolls around, it's like a DMZ in there so I head for other parts not quite as thickly hunted...

Last edited:
I'm extremely new to hunting in general, so varmint hunting is really new to me. So I'm trying to absorb any info I can get and I was curious about varmint hunting. And a couple of my questions have been answered on the first page like what do you do with the parts you can't eat? Since these animals are so small you can't be pulling much edible meat from them, correct? Now do you guys still eat everything you kill? What else can you do with it? And one final extremely "newbish" question. What kind of gun do you use?
Thanks in advance guys!

Since these animals are so small you can't be pulling much edible meat from them, correct? Now do you guys still eat everything you kill? What else can you do with it?
Many of us "hunt" the destructive critters on our own property, primarily chipmunk and woodchuck, let the local predators have the meat. I'm probably also going to start going after coyotes, on general principle, and certainly won't eat those either!

I've got a pair of red foxes who are more than happy to clean up.

And one final extremely "newbish" question. What kind of gun do you use?
While I've had good success with chipmunks using a good air rifle, mostly I've been using a .22LR bolt with the new "Quiet 22" ammo which, like the air rifle, doesn't require hearing protection.

Back
Top Bottom