Optics in CMP matches

You can't even compare the two. The Army recruits specifically for their team as a full time career billet. The USMC team is made up of Marines who have jobs outside of competition shooting and only spend short stents on the team. Not to mention the budgets are amazingly different. The pool of talent the Army has to draw from is 3 times the size of the Marines as well. From from embarrassing.

That's kind of the point - the Army as an organization clearly takes competitive shooting more way seriously than the Marine Corps does. The difference is apparent, obvious, and (to me) embarrassing.

jasons said:
That's kind of the point - the Army as an organization clearly takes competitive shooting more way seriously than the Marine Corps does. The difference is apparent, obvious, and (to me) embarrassing.

The Marines are more concerned about bringing the marksmanship experience gained via competition to the fleet to make better marksman.

The results of 20 guys at the Nationals competing doesnt reflect either branch's shooting proficiency as a whole or how serious they are at making war fighters.

The Marines are more concerned about bringing the marksmanship experience gained via competition to the fleet to make better marksman.

The results of 20 guys at the Nationals competing doesnt reflect either branch's shooting proficiency as a whole or how serious they are at making war fighters.

You'll note that I didn't say it reflected on proficiency as a whole or the quality of the war fighter. Nobody is going to argue that the Army has us beat in either of those categories. Take 20 random "rank and file" Marines and 20 random Army dogs and have them shoot a match and the Marines will win every time. That's not how it works though.

What I said was that it was clear that the Army as an organization cares more about competitive marksmanship, which I think is self evident. Does it matter in the grand scheme of things? Probably not. Still it sucks to watch your team lose.

You'll note that I didn't say it reflected on proficiency as a whole or the quality of the war fighter. Nobody is going to argue that the Army has us beat in either of those categories. Take 20 random "rank and file" Marines and 20 random Army dogs and have them shoot a match and the Marines will win every time. That's not how it works though.

What I said was that it was clear that the Army as an organization cares more about competitive marksmanship, which I think is self evident. Does it matter in the grand scheme of things? Probably not. Still it sucks to watch your team lose.

The Army can rack up CMP and NRA medals and the Marines will continue to focus on adding battle streamers. I'll take pride in the latter. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom