Opinions on IWB holsters...

Specifically, what folks think of the Comp-Tac series.

IIRC, Adam mentioned having one of their C.T.A.C. series holsters and liking it quite a bit.

Looking at the Comp-Tac site (http://www.comp-tac.com/), the "Shirt-Tucker" holster appears to be ideal - only one clip to show outside the pants, and $23 cheaper than the C.T.A.C. holster with two clips.

However, looking at the Shirt-Tucker, I can't help but question how stable that set-up is - there's one clip several inches from the firearm. I can't see how it won't pull away or shift.

Does anyone out in NES-land have any experience with this holster? Before I plunk down $60 (including shipping) for a holster I can't even try on, I'd like to get some feedback.

I bought a Comp-Tac double mag holster (off the classifieds) and was quite impressed with how well it works. The clips hold it nice and tight, and the entire holster is designed to spread out the weight so you don't feel it quite as much. If the gun holsters work as well, I'd like to order one.

So I'm trying to decide if I should spring for the extra cake for the C.T.A.C. holster - I've been thinking about getting something I can tuck a shirt in over for summertime carry.

Any and all thoughts/suggestions are appreciated.

I've never used that one, BUT since I can't keep my mouth shut I'll give you my opinion anyway.

I have a DeSantis tuckable that has a similar configuration. Before I took my new job I was shirt and tie every day. I loved the idea of the tuckable, but found it to be too much of a pain unless I absolutely had to tuck and had to carry. The result was I just carried less. Additionally, the single clip off to the side was awkward. When the pistol was riding correctly it was fine, but it seemed that once it passed a "breaking point" and slid over enough, gravity took over and either spun the holding nut or put enough tension on my belt line to be uncomfortable.

I do still wear it when needed, though that's infrequently.

Mostly I wear the crossbreed now.

I've got a CTAC that I use with the velcro clips. Nothing shows on the belt at all. It's secure enough to go through an IDPA match's worth of drawing and reholstering without shifting. The only drawbacks I see are you have to attach velcro fuzz to your belt and it's a bit slower to attach and remove the holster from the belt.

If the main reason you're looking at the Shirt-Tucker over the CTAC is one fewer clip I'd recommend the CTAC with velcro clips.

Jay,
I haven't used the one-clip version CompTac . But I carry my sub-compac Glock in the C.T.A.C. everyday and I really like it. I would recommend it to anyone who really needs to use a tuckable. My shirt tucks easily, and yes, the two clips/straps keep the gun rock stable and in the right place. I find that wearing it at 4 o'clock position works best, especially when driving. But, as anyone will tell you, using any holster with a less than quality gun belt will drive you crazy. Same holster with my Don Hume belt vs. my "normal" belts is just night and day!

And I vote C clips over J clips anyday. With C-clips the weight of the gun is on your belt and not your pants. (Reholster 20-30 times with J-clips and see what I mean.) But DR's post about velco is something I will now consider too.

For my one tuckable holster that has only one clip/strap (Galco) that I use for my S&W airweight j-frame, I'm convinced that the combination of the C-clip, Hume belt, and the light weight of the gun is what makes it a comfortable carry. I don't think I would ever want to carry any of my heavier guns IWB.

Marlet- I just found the crossbreed IWB on eBay and I really like the way it looks. Only $52. It has a large piece of leather for the back rather than the kydex of the CTAC, which I would guess makes it even more comfortable. For the CTAC, my one small complaint is having the kydex against my skin. This is easily solved by just wearing a t-shirt too. But, I might just try the Crossbreed. What size (weight) gun do you carry in your Crossbreed?

traveler57 said:
Marlet- I just found the crossbreed IWB on eBay and I really like the way it looks. Only $52. It has a large piece of leather for the back rather than the kydex of the CTAC, which I would guess makes it even more comfortable. For the CTAC, my one small complaint is having the kydex against my skin. This is easily solved by just wearing a t-shirt too. But, I might just try the Crossbreed. What size (weight) gun do you carry in your Crossbreed?

I like the crossbreed because of the leather. It's really comfortable. Right now I carry my Sig Sauer P220 TT in one. It's the best carry for that pistol that I've found yet. I also have one on order for my S&W 908S. It should be here any week now.

Bought the CrossBreed SuperTuck

Jay, Martlet, and others,

Just an update. I placed my order for the SuperTuck yesterday. I got the adjustable with all three clip types, standard, J-clip, and his new velcro clip. Mark (the owner) was great to speak with on the phone, and very helpful. I also ordered the IWB tuckable mag holder. Everything under $85

I will report back when they come in. If it works out for my Glock 27, I will consider getting one for my 1911.

BTW- His prices go up May 15th, so if you are thinking of order, order now.

I have tried many IWB holsters of the years and never really liked any of them. Then a friend loaned me a Ted Block LFI IWB and i have been hooked since.

I can carry my Glock 19 or Sig229 with just a t-shirt and shorts during the summer with out even a second thought. I've even been known to do some running with it on, and even without a thumb break neither gun has ever moved on me.

http://tedblocker.com/LFIRIGA.html

(and no we don't sell these [smile] )
Just my $.02.

Martlet said:
I've never used that one, BUT since I can't keep my mouth shut I'll give you my opinion anyway.

I have a DeSantis tuckable that has a similar configuration. Before I took my new job I was shirt and tie every day. I loved the idea of the tuckable, but found it to be too much of a pain unless I absolutely had to tuck and had to carry. The result was I just carried less. Additionally, the single clip off to the side was awkward. When the pistol was riding correctly it was fine, but it seemed that once it passed a "breaking point" and slid over enough, gravity took over and either spun the holding nut or put enough tension on my belt line to be uncomfortable.

I do still wear it when needed, though that's infrequently.

Mostly I wear the crossbreed now.

Well, Martlet, you'll be happy to know I've taken your advice and ordered a Crossbreed Tuckable. Will offer a full report when it comes in.

Jay G said:
Well, Martlet, you'll be happy to know I've taken your advice and ordered a Crossbreed Tuckable. Will offer a full report when it comes in.

I can't imagine you'll be disappointed. I love mine. The one for my 908S came yesterday. It's amazing how comfortable it is even before it's broken in.

Back
Top Bottom