Opinions on .22 for personal deffense

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a smart man. You can also save money when you train with it. If you shoot someone with any gun several times they will fall. And think, a .22 is a slower M4, same bullet, less powder.

As the others mentioned it is not the same bullet. But don't feel bad because bullet and cartridge sizes can be really confusing. When I first started shooting I was so concerned I was going to buy the wrong caliber for my firearms. Nobody here knows it all--that's for sure. Take a look at these pages, which describe each. You're right that the .223 has more powder behind it and that makes the bullet travel about three times as fast.

Here's the .223

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.223_Remington

and the .22 LR

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_Long_Rifle

Infamous serial killer Ed Gein reportedly killed his first victim with a 22-caliber rifle (prior to that, he dug up bodies and harvested their skins, heads, gentials, etc.)

I would also think that a .22lr hand gun would have some "psychological" stopping power, especially if it closely resembles a higher caliber firearm the (like the Walther p22 which looks a lot like the Walther pps.) But if the assailant was a hardened or drugged bad guy and was simply out to get you or your loved ones and was not the type to be scared off by just glimpsing a gun, then the general consensus seems to be that a .22lr wouldn't have enough stopping power to really ward anyone off. Still, I'd say it'd be better to have a .22lr than nothing, because I imagine that it still f***ing hurts to get shot by one.

Infamous serial killer Ed Gein reportedly killed his first victim with a 22-caliber rifle (prior to that, he dug up bodies and harvested their skins, heads, gentials, etc.)

I would also think that a .22lr hand gun would have some "psychological" stopping power, especially if it closely resembles a higher caliber firearm the (like the Walther p22 which looks a lot like the Walther pps.) But if the assailant was a hardened or drugged bad guy and was simply out to get you or your loved ones and was not the type to be scared off by just glimpsing a gun, then the general consensus seems to be that a .22lr wouldn't have enough stopping power to really ward anyone off. Still, I'd say it'd be better to have a .22lr than nothing, because I imagine that it still f***ing hurts to get shot by one.

I agree wholeheartedly.
Though you tweak me out a little with your serial killer knowledge. [running away scared]

Going back a little to the whole issue of hearing damage when shooting indoors...what's the general consensus on a home defense handgun with a suppressor? Bad idea? I know they're a nay-nay in MA, but I'm just curious if there are arguments one way or another.

I've never fired a handgun inside in a self defense situation, but I think adrenaline causes some effect that protects your ears. (I'm guessing this based on personal experience).

When you're hunting and you shoot an animal, you really don't even "hear" the shot. I mean, you hear it, but it doesn't leave your ears ringing or anything like that. It never sounds as loud as when you take off your hearing protection too early at the range.

When you know the shot is coming, the tensor tympani muscle can pull the ossicles of the ear away from the eardrum, which dampens the sound. Not a great idea to do it repeatedly, but the ear does have that self-protective mechanism.

I never thought that my opinion would be against the grain on this subject, but it appears that it is. My opinion is that if you're not disabled you need to use a more powerful caliber. .22 lr has killed anything from squirrels to bears. But it does not do it reliably in a self-defense, hand shaking, adrenaline pumping, dark, confused, life on the line situations I've always said that hand pain or lack of controlability with larger calibers is a sorry excuse. The solution is to train, practice, shoot the damn thing until the nerves in your hand get numb if that is what it takes. Your life is worth more than temporary pain, which you will not feel in a life or death situation anyhow, and it is worth more than your laziness that prevents you from practicing and developing the skills needed in order to become sufficient with a firearm that is chambered in an adequate man-stopping cartridge.

Sure a .22 in the pocket is better than a .38 in the safe. But why the hell isn't the .38 in your pocket? You're going to have to come up with a damn good reason for that. The only reason acceptable to me is a disability, or extreme ccw where you cannot fit a J frame or even a tiny .380. To simplify: Man up.

Last edited:
All,

In an earlier post killakyle22 mentioned he is 12 or 13 years old. You are arguing about defensive ammo with a young person with no experience who is hoping his Dad will buy him a .22 rifle for his birthday.

Consider the source, all. Do you really want to have this conversation with someone who is not yet a teenager?

Best,

Rich

Well,his name is "Killa",and the fact the the board and it's members are trying to portray a positive image for gunowners, should we should really be advising a 13 year old kid that calls himself "Killa" the best round to kill people with ?

That's just me though.

I will sometimes carry a 22 into the woods when only something like a rabid racoon or skunk might need to be dealt with. It will be a 9 round wheel gun however with at least a 4 inch barrel to get some umph and aim on the bullet. I carried a cheapie 22 semi on a couple rare occassions because of it's small size. The 6 shot mag was full with CCI Stingers but I considered the gun only a single shot as it smokestacked too often to count on more than one shot. As luck would have it the last time I carried it was the time I needed it. The 6 plus 1 didn't pair up well with 8 teenagers sizing me up in a lonely parking garage. Fortunately while they were sizing me up I picked my long black cellphone (old generation mid 90's vintage) halfway out of my right pants pocket and one of the kids yelled, "he's got a gun!" and they all took off. The gun was in my left coat pocket out of sight but ready to go. After that night its a S&W 6906 or 65 when people might be involved. Half the effectiveness of a defense gun is the first impression it makes when you draw it. If it isn't big enough to be taken seriously by sight it probably isn't going to be effective when fired.

As far as the Mafia using the 22 for a hit, the story is that hitmen will remove half the powder from a 22lr or use a 22 short to keep the report quiet. I forget which book I read that in. It wasn't a fiction novel...it was a biography but I forget which one.

If you draw your CCW, it's because you've made the decision to shoot. You should never brandish in self-defense.

If you draw your CCW, it's because you've made the decision to shoot. You should never brandish in self-defense.

Yes- and someone who gets shot with a .22 but doesn't get a fatal shot may be scared off, thinking he got lucky, or in enough pain that he turns tail and runs. So you shoot with the intent to kill of course, but maybe you'll get lucky and end up NOT killing someone. Maybe it'd be a good self defense weapon for Christians.

A guess? Probably some warped reference to "Shall not kill".

Which is also part of the Jewish and Muslim traditions...

Catholic canon law recognizes that in some cases it is necessary, and sometimes even one's duty, to take life in defense of self or others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom