• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Operation Urgent Fury - 40 yrs

We don't hear much about Grenada these days nor Operation Urgent Fury in 1983 and I suppose the reason Grenada's been quiet since is because of that operation. I do remember that President Reagan took some heat for it but historically it turns out to have been a great success. Kudos to brass balled Reagan and the brave Rangers who gave their lives.

Good post cams!

I was at Benning in the last week of Mike school when this popped off.

I remember taking the Post shuttle bus to Main Post on the 24th and all was normal.

On the 25th, different story!

After getting us at ITG, later on the route, it makes NO stops in Ranger Land where usually it would stop at least a couple times. Instead it's re-routed and as we pass, we see Regimental HQ and RTB areas in Harmony Church are all encircled in concertina wire, with sandbagged positions and armed guards at all access points. The balloon had most definitely gone up!

I served with one of the Grenada Raiders. He had the old-skool combat scroll to go with a mustard stain he'd been wearing almost twenty years.

I knew him as an E-8 just before retirement, in a battalion S2 shop in Division. Nicest, most unassuming guy you'd ever care to meet, but he had ALL the Cool Guy Badges. So he'd been quite a badass once upon a time. He was a man of very few words, and nobody ever asked him about the Point Salines jump.

I was stationed at McChord AFB at that time. We were at a Saturday afternoon squadron party when my Operations Officer came up to me and told me to go pack a bag and choose a team of my Aerial Porters (process and load/offload passengers and cargo on AF aircraft) to go on a "no-notice exercise". ORE's (Operational Readiness Exercises) were a big thing at that time so I figured that's what it was.

Got to Hunter Army Airfield early Sunday morning and it quickly became apparent that this was more than just an exercise although we didn't know exactly where they were going for a while. Ran into a SSgt I had known from my CCT days and asked him about the "out-of-regulation" guys who were milling around one airplane which was off a little ways, all by itself. He told me "you don't want to know".

A little while later we were launching aircraft which made the initial assault.

i believe the LT in charge that died was from Providence RI
According to the Navy SEAL Museum the four enlisted SEALs lost in Grenada were:

Machinist Mate 1st Kenneth J. Butcher.

Quartermaster 1st Kevin E. Lundberg.

Hull Technician 1st Stephen L. Morris.

Senior Chief Engineman Robert R. Schamberger.

According to the Navy SEAL Museum the four enlisted SEALs lost in Grenada were:

Machinist Mate 1st Kenneth J. Butcher.

Quartermaster 1st Kevin E. Lundberg.

Hull Technician 1st Stephen L. Morris.

Senior Chief Engineman Robert R. Schamberger.
Damn, I stand corrected.
pretty sure the story was the night before the invasion the Seals went in to secure whomever and the seas were too rough. The author - Dick Marcinko

or I got it wrong I apologize

Last edited:
Damn, I stand corrected.
pretty sure the story was the night before the invasion the Seals went in to secure whomever and the seas were too rough. The author - Dick Marcinko

or I got it wrong I apologize
Also from the SEAL Museum:
Delays in an airborne insertion caused their daytime calm-sea insertion to be pushed back to nighttime and a bad storm. One of their two transport planes missed its drop zone, and four SEALs were lost in a rain squall off the island’s coast. Their bodies were never recovered.

Back
Top Bottom