operating scale model gattling

I'm seriously considering purchasing plans to machine a working scale model gattling gun that has multiple barrels and chambers operated by a hand crank (so it's not an NFA weapon) and chambered for .22 LR cartridges.

If I should go ahead with this and actually make one in my little hobby machine shop:
Am I now a manufacturer?
Do i need an FFL?
What about MA where I live or VT where I intend to move in a few years time?

Speaking of the Federal Laws:

Manufacturer FFL is only required if you intend to sell them. Regular FFL is NOT required either.

VT has no further restrictions.

Arioch said:
I'm seriously considering purchasing plans to machine a working scale model gattling gun that has multiple barrels and chambers operated by a hand crank (so it's not an NFA weapon) and chambered for .22 LR cartridges.

If I should go ahead with this and actually make one in my little hobby machine shop:
Am I now a manufacturer?
Do i need an FFL?
What about MA where I live or VT where I intend to move in a few years time?

In MA you'd have to register it on an FA-10 (I'm guessing itd be considered
a "rifle" for purpouses of that form) once it's completed.

Wether an FFL gets involved or not would depend on wether you buy a
finished reciever or make one yourself. If you make it yourself, or from
say, an 80% blank, there's no FFL involved.

-Mike

Nickle and drgrant, thank you both for the information. The MA and VT regs are kind of what I thought (I will be making the receiver myself and it will be a repeater for my own use, not for sale) but confirmation is nice. I had no idea on the federal end.

The barrels specified in the plans would be just over 12 inches long (overall lenght of 21 inches), so I guess it becomes a high capacity pistol in MA. The only other thing I can think of to keep it from becoming an NFA firearm is to modify the plans to make the barrels 4 inches longer.

Any thoughts on this?

Back
Top Bottom