• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question on having a discontinued model in MA

Steve600

NES Member
I was interested in buying a Smith & Wesson 25-2 out of state for Sale on gunbroker. I know the 625 is on the approved list, but the 25-2 has been discontinued since 1991. Is this something that would be legal to have shipped to MA? The revolver I was looking at is a 1980 if that matters. Thanks for your advice in advance. Steve

Couldn't say. I'd ask whichever FFL you choose to handle the transfer for you in Mass. No sense having it shipped to a dealer who won't do the transfer.

I bought a Smith and wesson model 10 and a pre model 10 on gun broker neither on the Mass approved list
shipped to FFL no problems

I was interested in buying a Smith & Wesson 25-2 out of state for Sale on gunbroker. I know the 625 is on the approved list, but the 25-2 has been discontinued since 1991. Is this something that would be legal to have shipped to MA? The revolver I was looking at is a 1980 if that matters. Thanks for your advice in advance. Steve
1) never again talk about the approved list or the roster. They mean nothing to you as a private citizen. They are solely a restriction on dealers
2) as with ALL purchases/transfers, ask the specific FFL that you want to transfer the gun to you as it is 100% up to them regardless of anything else
3) you can lawfully own and purchase ANY handgun that is not an assault weapon (that does not mean there is a way to get it)
4) it is always lawful for any FFL anywhere in the country to ship any gun to any other FFL anywhere in the country as long as the gun is not subject to the NFA. Ok, some caveats on the exact type of FFL, but lets assume 01, 02, 07, 08, 10 for this discussion, so the type you are dealing with. Just because it is lawful to ship to MA (to the dealer, your question) does not mean it is legal to transfer to you

With a S&W handgun manufactured before 21 Oct 1998, most FFLs will transfer/sell the gun regardless of its status on the list. MGL 140 123 which is what puts the restrictions on dealers has an exception that "a firearm lawfully owned or possessed under a license issued under this chapter on or before October 21, 1998" can be sold/transferred by a MA dealer. Since S&W is located in MA and as long as it is not one of the models that was manufactured outside MA, the premise is that it meets this clause of the law. We certainly know it was present in MA prior to that date. Even the Deli Ticket Emporium will traffic in pre 21 Oct 1998 S&W handguns...

Or the short answer is "yes if you find the right FFL"

Thanks for all the replies. I am going to see the local FFL and see if he can help. My brother in law who was a FFL died several years ago, he use to do all that stuff for me no I don’t actually know anyone with one. This state sucks so bad.

Back
Top Bottom