Open trap at Hamilton R&G Sturbridge, MA

Anyone in central MA is looking to shoot trap in the warmer weather (though they shoot in winter), the Hamilton R&G in Sturbridge has trap shoots for members & non-members alike for $3.25 per round (bring ammo), lead shot OK, every Sunday morning from 9:30-12Noon and every other Friday 6:30PM. Many shooters show up, friendly & good spirited crowd (unlike some other clubs I have visited) and well run. They sell discount cards for 12 & 26 matches which will save you .25 per round which adds up if you shoot often. Location is off RT 20, New Boston Road, then Hamilton Road in Sturbridge. [grin]

Anyone in central MA is looking to shoot trap in the warmer weather (though they shoot in winter), the Hamilton R&G in Sturbridge has trap shoots for members & non-members alike for $3.25 per round (bring ammo), lead shot OK, every Sunday morning from 9:30-12Noon and every other Friday 6:30PM. Many shooters show up, friendly & good spirited crowd (unlike some other clubs I have visited) and well run. They sell discount cards for 12 & 26 matches which will save you .25 per round which adds up if you shoot often. Location is off RT 20, New Boston Road, then Hamilton Road in Sturbridge. [grin]

Nice to know that lead shot is still OK to shoot somewhere, but Sturbridge is a long ride for me.
I stopped shooting skeet & trap regularly a long time ago when my club banned lead shot.
I shot a few dozen times as a guest at Southboro, up until two years ago when they too banned lead shot.
I've been rolling-my-own since the mid 80's, and I'm sitting on a stockpile of 1oz. #8-1/2 skeet loads that I'd love to run down the barrels of my fixed-choke Citori.
Do they have a skeet range too or is it just trap ???

Nice to know that lead shot is still OK to shoot somewhere, but Sturbridge is a long ride for me.
I stopped shooting skeet & trap regularly a long time ago when my club banned lead shot.
I shot a few dozen times as a guest at Southboro, up until two years ago when they too banned lead shot.
I've been rolling-my-own since the mid 80's, and I'm sitting on a stockpile of 1oz. #8-1/2 skeet loads that I'd love to run down the barrels of my fixed-choke Citori.
Do they have a skeet range too or is it just trap ???
No skeet at Hamilton to the best of my knowledge.

The Hamilton Rod and Gun rate is $3.50 pre round. Members can buy a discounted trap pre-paid trap card. It is a great club, but they only have trap, no Skeet. Most clubs in Massachusetts that have trap or skeet are open to the public at least 1 day a week for trap or skeet.

I too have a Citori skeet barreled shotgun but skeet is the only range they don't have but are the process of engineering design for it and funding comes from a huge amount of gravel on club property that a lot of central MA construction firms are now coming in and pay $$ for each truckload. Last Friday while at the pistol range, I saw about 20 truck runs into the pit in the 3 1/2 hgours I was there. (Hamilton Rod & Gun, Sturbridge, MA)

However, if I lived in eastern MA, yes it's a long ride...but my retiring here from eastern MA, I find there are plenty of gun clubs and pro gun people west of Worcester. Best move I could have made....plus retiring at 55 [grin]

But I can only hope this won't be a project that will take us into the 22nd century as the new pistol range at the Worcester club has...they had to forfiet their whole bullseye season so I hope they finish it soon.

Frank

I know of very few clubs that are offering skeet nowadays...I check out the GOAL match scedules when the paper was printed as a GOAL paper and noticed many clubs offering trap but no skeet...much to my dismay. Nearest I know is the Riverside R&G in Hudson, MA but that was ten years ago before I moved out west.

Frank

Back
Top Bottom