• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Open Sights for Bullseye

UFO

I am currently practicing for Bullseye using the stock Ruger MkIII Competition sights. These are just black; not HiViz like the Hunter model.

It's hard to focus on the front sight since it is black like the target.
When I was looking at the Hunter model I recall several shop owners telling me 'you wouldn't use this for competition, you'd want the black sights".

1. Why is that?

2. Tips for using open sights? I hear some people put a dab of white-out on their front sight.

What kind of hold are you using? If you're not already doing so, I'd suggest for a six-o-clock or sub-six hold, which gets the front sight off of the target. (Otherwise, yes, the front sight can get lost in the target.)

I use a sub-six hold for pistol, and I certainly want the sights and target the same color, since I'm not looking at the target, I'm looking at the white around the front sight. As long as it's the same width on each of the three sides and the sight tops are lined up, it's a ten. High-vis sights are great for rapid acquisition, but in bullseye pistol, your sight radius is so short, and sight alignment so critical, that the distraction would be a killer; white-out on the front sight would drive me nuts, and would make it less visible against the light background of the target.

That said, there's an argument to be made for some kind of mark, spot, or something on the front sight if you need something visually distinctive to hold your focus on it, since "focus on the front sight" is so very, very important for precision shooting.

What kind of hold are you using? If you're not already doing so, I'd suggest for a six-o-clock or sub-six hold, which gets the front sight off of the target. (Otherwise, yes, the front sight can get lost in the target.)

That said, there's an argument to be made for some kind of mark, spot, or something on the front sight if you need something visually distinctive to hold your focus on it, since "focus on the front sight" is so very, very important for precision shooting.

Thank you. So, basically, I need to re-align my Ruger. Right now, a sub-six hold will shoot low. With good sight alignment I have been trying to focus on a black front sight which is up against a black bullseye between a black rear notch.[thinking]

Thank you. So, basically, I need to re-align my Ruger. Right now, a sub-six hold will shoot low. With good sight alignment I have been trying to focus on a black front sight which is up against a black bullseye between a black rear notch.[thinking]

Yeah, I can't see how that would work very well. Six-o-clock vs. sub-six is a much more open argument and I know lots of people who shoot each, but I don't know anyone that shoots bullseye with a center hold. (Saying that, somebody must. If it's anyone here, I'm curious how it works for you.)

Back
Top Bottom