Oops Wrong Primers

I stopped at CC last week and picked up some primers and Lead..Stupid me grabbed Small RIFLE primers!! Not pistol which is what I Needed. I already primed up some brass for 38/357 and 9mm..I just cant identify which ones are SP and SR..

I read searched around and heard that I might get some FTF in the 9mm as the strike might be too light..SO i figured I would give it a shot..anyone have any insight or suggestions on this..

Im almost 100% positive that the only loads these primers made it into was 357 magnum so it should be ok..

I use small rifle primers in my 40S&W 1911oids without any difficulty. You should be just find unless you are riding the edge with a light trigger job, however, you would be well advised to start working up loads as the rifle primers may result in different performance from the same powder charge.

I haven't bought SP primers in 2, maybe 3 years. I use SR exclusively in my .40 and .38 Super (which is what started me using SR primers in handgun cartridges).

So long as you are not getting light strikes, you should be fine. In fact, the SR primers give you a slightly greater margin of safety, which is why I use them in the Super.

I haven't bought SP primers in 2, maybe 3 years. I use SR exclusively in my .40 and .38 Super (which is what started me using SR primers in handgun cartridges).

So long as you are not getting light strikes, you should be fine. In fact, the SR primers give you a slightly greater margin of safety, which is why I use them in the Super.

Same here, I've used small rifle primers for all small primer applications for many years.

I only use small rifle primers. I shot .40 S&W and .38 super in custom 1911's and I only use the rifle primers. Never had any issues. The primer cup is stronger on the small rifle primers than on small pistol. Other than that they are basically the same.

I read someplace that the SR primers are equal to a Mag. primer and .10 grain of powder hoter. I don't see that much of a difference in power but use them in .357, .40 S&W and .38 Super just to get a good hot, clean fire. Never had any trouble. The only place I could see an issue would be in a .25 ACP, .32 Long or .380 where you need a very low powder charge.

Back
Top Bottom