One powder for pistol reloading?

Andy in NH

NES Life Member
NES Member
Currently, I reload for 9mm and .45ACP. I have only used Win 231 and WAP.

I'm going to begin reloading .38 spcl.

Which powders do you like that will do all three?

Accurate #5 will work well. I use it for 9mm, 38spl, 357 mag, 40 S&W, and 45ACP. They also publish a load data book, but you can get limited data on their web site. I love using only one pistol powder; keeps things simple.

Win231 is good too, but I haven't used it on many calibers.

Accurate #5 will work well. I use it for 9mm, 38spl, 357 mag, 40 S&W, and 45ACP. They also publish a load data book, but you can get limited data on their web site. I love using only one pistol powder; keeps things simple.

Win231 is good too, but I haven't used it on many calibers.

Make sure you cross check anything in their data book (AA's) with the info on the web.
I talked to the apps engineer and they haven't updated that book in a long time and the
info on the web is the latest and greatest. The web data is only that which has changed
since the book was published.

Last edited:
W231 is hard to beat, I use it for 9x17,9x19,.38sp,.357mag,.45acp, and 10mm target loads. Unique for a little more velocity.

I forgot 231 for .44-40

1 powder

I load about a dozen handgun calibers and use Titegroup in all. Before Titegroup came out I used Unique.

i've been using win231 in my .38sp reloads with great success.

i WILL be using it in my 9x19 loads as soon as i get a rockchucker / U-die so i can full-length resize all my "glock bellied" brass.

I started out using WW231 almost thirty years ago and, after quite a bit of experimentation, I am still using it for all of my non magnum loads. I have heard good things about Titegroup and may pick up a pound to try.

Thanks for all the replies.

I like to keep the powder choices on the bench simple. The recommendations given here go a long way toward helping with that.

Live Free, Andy

I find that Red Dot is a very versatile powder too. I used to shoot a lot of skeet and bought Red Dot in 8 lb. containers. In addition to the 12 ga. loads, I used it for non-magnum pistol loads in .32 ACP, .38 Sp., 9mm and .45 ACP. The only drawback is that it's a bit dirtier than Clays or W231.

Back
Top Bottom