One or Two FFL's required for a out of state sale?

Hi,

My dad was going to send me some of his guns. He lives in NYS, I live in MA.

I know for a fact that I have to have an FFL on my side receive the guns. I also am well aware of all the crazy MA legalities.

My question is, can my dad just box up the guns, take them to UPS, send them to my receiving FFL and take some "Bill of sale" I sign to the county permit department and have the removed from his permit? Is it a requirement that he ships them via an FFL on his side as well or is the 1 FFL on my side good enough?

Thanks guys,
Alex Murray

Some FFL's will only accept shipments from other FFL's.

If you can find a FFL who will accept the shipment from your dad, via COMMON CARRIER it can be done with just one FFL on your end.

UPS is probably the only common carrier who will take them, and it has to be at a depot, not a retail location, and some of the depots have their heads up their backside and will refuse the shipment when you declare what they are. I also remember reading they will only do it via overnight shipping... huge bucks.

That's why 2 FFL's are sometimes easier to do, see if you can get a NY FFL to do it for a flat rate for all the guns. A FFL can ship handguns via USPS, where a non FFL can't.

BTW how many of these are long arms?

You could go get the long arms out there via a FFL transfer then bring them here and file a FA-10 for them.

Last edited:
1. There is no Federal law that requires a firearm be shipped by an FFL.

2. Federal law requires that you be an FFL to MAIL a handgun.

3. Mailing = using the USPS. Shipping = using a contract carrier (DHL, UPS, FedEx)

4. FedEx will accept long and hand guns for shipping.

What is the procedure then for my father to get those pistols taken off of his permit. (NYS has positive ID on all owned Handguns. each needs to be specifically added and removed from his permit.)

Thanks,
Alex

Is UPS really that bad??? I have shipped handguns from CT (not very gun friendly) from the UPS shipping location at Bradley Airport (Windsor Locks) and they have always been friendly...just asked for my driver's license and looked at it....

FYI-- I would assume he would go to whoever issued his permit and tell them he sold them...I don't want to make an assumption like i know NY law...maybe he needs proof..maybe not...

The BATFE answer was already given.

HOWEVER, he needs to comply with whatever NY requires for disposition and that "might" (I don't know) require a NY FFL to document that he no longer possesses the gun and it should be removed from whatever database NY maintains on permit-holders.

So I see the key to answer this question is "whatever the state of NY requires".

Is there a NY gun rights forum/website? You will most likely get the best info there.

We try to be helpful here, but there are few NY members, so our knowledge level on NY laws is pretty sparse.

Alex,

The process for deleting handguns from your father's permit is listed below. It would seem that he would need to have a FFL in NY ship them to a

FFL in Mass so he can get the receipts needed to remove the handguns from his permit.

http://www.erie.gov/depts/government/cler /applications_permits_pistol.phtml

Deletion of Handguns

When a gun is sold to an individual, a dated bill of sale is required to remove the pistol from the seller's permit. The bill of sale must show both the buyer's and seller's names, addresses, permit numbers and counties that permits are in. The gun must be described by make, model, caliber action and serial number. Once the gun has been registered and picked up by the buyer, the seller has 10 days to come to the Pistol Permit Office and have it removed from his/her permit. If the buyer is from a county other than Erie County, he/she must provide the seller with a purchase coupon upon delivery of the registered gun. This coupon must then be provided to our department by the seller when removing the gun.

When a gun is sold to a dealer, the dealer receipt is required. The receipt must show the seller's name, address, permit number, and make, model, caliber action and serial number of the gun. The dealer's name, address, New York State dealer number and county the dealership is in must also appear on the receipt.

There is a $3.00 fee for the deletion of a handgun from a permit.

Last edited:
There are some dealers that won't accept guns sent from anyone other than an FFL.I gave a friend an SP101 for his first gun last year and the NYS FFL required that all guns coming from MA needed to be shipped from an FFL :"because of MA's crazy laws".I don't know if their shop,they sell a decent amount of ammo over the web I take it,was hassled by our AG or anything but ultimately,it was actually cheaper for my friendly hardware store to ship it for me than to overnight it myself!

Back
Top Bottom