• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

One day pheasant license in MA?

CdP

Headed to Ladywoods Sunday w a buddy who doesn't have a hunting license. In the past they sold one-day licenses but now that needs to be done through the state. Go to the website, and it seems you need to have passed a hunters Ed course... Anyone know much about this?

Yeah you sure do need to have taken a hunter ed course to buy a hunting license. [rolleyes]

Like anywhere in America not just certain states. If your buddy has not taken a hunter ed course at this point forget about getting a hunting license till like ......spring!

seriously though.....you think its possible to buy a 1 day license having never taken a hunter ed course?

also you say hunting license in mass.....and say you are going on sunday. You worry me bud. There is no hunting in mass on sunday. I recommend you get an abstract and read the hell out it before you go getting your ass in a heap of trouble out there. Where do you plan to hunt in the future? So i can plan to not be there.

Last edited:
Have your buddy take an online course, Texas hunter ed or something. You don't need the hunters ed certificate in hand to get a hunting license online in MA, you just click a box affirming you've completed it.

also you say hunting license in mass.....and say you are going on sunday. You worry me bud. There is no hunting in mass on sunday. I recommend you get an abstract and read the hell out it before you go getting your ass in a heap of trouble out there.
I didn't catch the Sunday part, are we getting trolled here?

I didn't catch the Sunday part, are we getting trolled here?
Ya think? Guy posts this shit like "well jee whilikers what is this new fangled hunter ed course thingy all about". [rolleyes]

Last edited:
Is Ladywoods a private preserve, and does one need a license there? Many of the rules are different for private hunting areas.

Is Ladywoods a private preserve, and does one need a license there? Many of the rules are different for private hunting areas.
Good point. That would be a question for the preserve if it is one.

Quick google search produced some info. It is a preserve in uxbridge. Mass residents DO need a license.

http://www.ladywoods.com

so let me get this straight....according to the website you buy the birds at $30 each and they put them out there for you? 10 bird minimum for two hunters? So it costs 300 rockets And you got three hours to hunt the birds you bought? Have fun bud.

Last edited:
http://www.ladywoods.com it's a preserve in western mass. Right on the front page it says they require a mass hunting license. Sorry guy, if you're friends an out of stater then he's paying for a full season. Hope he has a license in a previous state or took the course.

"One day resident or non-resident commercial shooting preserve licenses available for non-licensed hunters while hunting in Massachusetts at LadyWoods"

^^^ quoted right from the front page of their website.

Headed to Ladywoods Sunday w a buddy who doesn't have a hunting license. In the past they sold one-day licenses but now that needs to be done through the state. Go to the website, and it seems you need to have passed a hunters Ed course... Anyone know much about this?

Last time I was at Markover in Ct. no need for a license.

Yeah you sure do need to have taken a hunter ed course to buy a hunting license. [rolleyes]

Like anywhere in America not just certain states. If your buddy has not taken a hunter ed course at this point forget about getting a hunting license till like ......spring!

seriously though.....you think its possible to buy a 1 day license having never taken a hunter ed course?

also you say hunting license in mass.....and say you are going on sunday. You worry me bud. There is no hunting in mass on sunday. I recommend you get an abstract and read the hell out it before you go getting your ass in a heap of trouble out there. Where do you plan to hunt in the future? So i can plan to not be there.

And...Since it's a private preserve they hunt Sundays and are booked out until 2016. Jumping ugly on the guy for asking a question...[thinking]
Maybe an overly uninformed question, but why all the jumping up in the guys face? So, I guess there is hunting on Sundays in MA...All you know it alls....And if he wants to pay 30 bucks a bird why do you care?

Thanks CCM.

Whacko, guys that suggest I read should do a bit themselves. What a crock - simply asking if anyone knows anything. If you don't know anything, no need to let us all know that.

And...Since it's a private preserve they hunt Sundays and are booked out until 2016. Jumping ugly on the guy for asking a question...[thinking]
Maybe an overly uninformed question, but why all the jumping up in the guys face? So, I guess there is hunting on Sundays in MA...All you know it alls....And if he wants to pay 30 bucks a bird why do you care?
Cuz 30 bucks a bird is stupid when he can pay 3 bucks for a whole round of target practice at the trap range [rofl]and im with mr happy....this thread is cool. Never knew these places existed and nobody should have to get a license to shoot target practice on privatr property on sundays

take it easy on me guys. Im in an overall "punchy"ood today. OP your initial post is quite vague. Im certainly not the only one that didnt know it was a private reserve or whatever you call it. I cant help it if i think its a little odd to pay that much though. Ive hunted stocked pheasant wma lamd a few times now even with my son and we are struggling to see the value of that whole circus as well. Peace guys!!!

Last edited:

This.

Must be m@sshole code to sling sh!t rather than ignore, let alone help.

I hear good feedback regarding Ladywoods. Fyi, chukars are 20 bucks.

Last edited:
Update - basically you have to call DFW to get it done. Despite section 31 specifying that a one day permit will be sold that does not require hunters ed or prior license, the online system requires proof of the above. And only Trina at DFW seems to know how to do it.

As an aside, I hunt Ladywoods 1-2 times per year. It's not cheap, but it's a good respite from the craziness of many of the packed WMAs and also gives you a Sunday option. They have decent variety of habitat and Jane and Mark are classy people. Certainly not for everyone but if you have a couple hundred burning a hole in your pocket or want to make sure your dog gets a day of bird action, I'd recommend them.

Update - basically you have to call DFW to get it done. Despite section 31 specifying that a one day permit will be sold that does not require hunters ed or prior license, the online system requires proof of the above. And only Trina at DFW seems to know how to do it.

As an aside, I hunt Ladywoods 1-2 times per year. It's not cheap, but it's a good respite from the craziness of many of the packed WMAs and also gives you a Sunday option. They have decent variety of habitat and Jane and Mark are classy people. Certainly not for everyone but if you have a couple hundred burning a hole in your pocket or want to make sure your dog gets a day of bird action, I'd recommend them.

Good to know. I put a deposit on bunch of chukars for late December for 4 teenage hunters. Will be taking 2 dogs.
Should be fun if the weather and snow depth isn't too bad. Regardless, we'll be there for the afternoon and I'm looking forward to watching the dogs work and boys shoot.

Despite section 31 specifying that a one day permit will be sold that does not require hunters ed or prior license,

Is this the MA loophole for hunters dodging the hunter safety course? Get a one day license then apply for a regular license and show the one day as a prior license. Should me able to slip that by someone.
[laugh2][laugh2]

Damn... I guess I'd better be careful if I ever need to ask a question. Jumping to conclusions and then the condescending snarkiness (while being completely inaccurate) seems somewhat unnecessary.

CdP,
Here's a link to the state website stating the availability of a 1-day preserve license: http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dfg/licensing/license-types-and-fees.html
You buddy will likely have to do one of the online courses as mentioned above. The Mass classes are few and far between.

Have a great hunt. I know a few people that have hunted at Ladywoods and they've all had great things to say. Btw, I'd suggest paying the extra for their dog if you don't have one. Having a dog will be well worth the money.

Thanks Jmizzle

Actually I pointed out the law to DFW and the guy called me back today. Said they're changing the website to reflect the law, which allows a one day license for commercial pheasant preserves without a hunters Ed course. Should be live tomorrow.

Assuming it all goes well, have to hand it to them for reacting quickly.

CdP-

How was the hunt? A friend asked me to to go, so I spent this afternoon on a chukar partridge hunt at Ladywoods. Had a great time- 5 birds for me & 4 for my friend. Very well fed little buggers- lots of meat & big breasts. Had a very nice time and had to work a bit to find all the birds. Not something I will do all the time due to the cost but hope to do again some day.

My club has pheasant hunts which are also nice plump birds. I hear the WMA birds can be on the small side, but free is always good.

Back
Top Bottom