On the Road Again - to Texas

NOT the one from Aerosmith. BTW, if you're interested in the real history of Texas, going back to before the Spaniards came in, I highly recommend "Lone Star" by T. R. Fehrenbach. It covers everything up to the late 1960s.

Nacogdoches is in the pine hills region of TX; 100 miles south of Arkansas and 100 miles west of Louisiana.

One of the three empressario settlements of Americans in Texas, under Steven Tyler.

t

NOT the one from Aerosmith. BTW, if you're interested in the real history of Texas, going back to before the Spaniards came in, I highly recommend "Lone Star" by T. R. Fehrenbach. It covers everything up to the late 1960s.

I've read it.

Last round of visits with her family. I've been truly immersed in rednecks up to my neck. One of her brothers is a dead ringer for the character "Ernest". He's a little thicker and older (68) and the hat brim was turned up today. Allegedly he had stopped drinking and smoking; what that actually meant that is doesn't buy it, but will gladly partake. He must have put down 18 beers while I was there. He also no longer goes through a bottle of Jack's every two days. Empty packs of cigarettes littered the ground. We all were sitting in a circle in the shade (98F); most of them waving flyswatters. Big 'ol BBQ. As they all got progressively drunker the red neck and sexist jokes came out. A fun time was had by all![rolleyes]

My wife is out with her best (sober) friend and husband; I'm in the room soaking up the AC. We leave for San Antonio tomorrow after we get the car's tires rotated and I peek into my first pawn shop that has "guns" and "archery" in neon lights outside. Now the 'vacation' begins!

t

Attachments

• ernest.jpeg
    ernest.jpeg
    20 KB · Views: 13
I remember one blond joke that was told.

Blond walks into a department store...

Blond: I want to buy that television.
Male Clerk: We don't sell to blonds.

Blond comes back to the store the next day...finds a female clerk

Female Clerk: We don't sell to blonds.

Blond goes home and dyes her hair red. Comes back the next day, and finds another clerk

Clerk: We don't sell to blonds.
Blond: How do you know I'm a blond?
Clerk: Because that's a microwave.

[rofl]

t

Pics of the Alamo. Went early to avoid the worst of the heat and see the re-enactors. I felt for then as I was uncomfortable in shorts and polo shirt, but, as they say: been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

t

Attachments

• IMG_2942.jpg
    IMG_2942.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2941.jpg
    IMG_2941.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2940.jpg
    IMG_2940.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2945.jpg
    IMG_2945.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2944.jpg
    IMG_2944.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2943.jpg
    IMG_2943.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2946.jpg
    IMG_2946.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2947.jpg
    IMG_2947.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2948.jpg
    IMG_2948.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2949.jpg
    IMG_2949.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 24
More Alamo.

t

Attachments

• IMG_2952.jpg
    IMG_2952.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2951.jpg
    IMG_2951.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2950.jpg
    IMG_2950.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2955.jpg
    IMG_2955.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2954.jpg
    IMG_2954.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2953.jpg
    IMG_2953.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 20
I came, I saw, I sweated on the Texas. 96F on deck, well over 100 below. Pic album to follow.

Little me in front of A turret.

T

Attachments

• IMG_1229.jpg
    IMG_1229.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 45
This was in a Gander Mountain parking lot. Going out of business sale; 25-60% off. Got 4 boxes of Remington ammo; .25, 2x .32, and .380 between $16 and $23/box. I showed my MA ID, but NO ID was needed!!!

T

I've never been asked for ID to buy ammo in Texas. The only time I had to provide ID was when buying hunting licenses. They also want SS #. Which screwed up my British friend the first time he did it. It was in the system subsequent times, but if it's only the GM system, he might be screwed in the fall.

My last trip to San Antonio was about 20 years ago. No plans to return. Drove by the Texas on my last trip from Austin to AL. Did the San Jacinto Memorial, but didn't get to the Texas. It's on the list.

This was in a Gander Mountain parking lot. Going out of business sale; 25-60% off. Got 4 boxes of Remington ammo; .25, 2x .32, and .380 between $16 and $23/box. I showed my MA ID, but NO ID was needed!!!

T

Here's a bunch of TX pics.

http://s470.photobucket.com/user/majspud/slideshow/USS TEXAS

She seems in rough shape; unlike the U.S.S. Mamie (Massachusetts BB-59) I saw recently. Her wood deck needs replacing, her hull is rusting through, and her million pound motors are rusted off their bases. There were hard hat divers down on her starboard quarter when we were there. They want to dry dock her permanently, but no site or funds for that yet.

t

Last edited:
Unfortunately I've never had the chance to buy ammo in person anywhere else than MA, so I don't know how the real world lives.

Texas' last restoration was completed in 1990; 27 years baking in salt water off Houston...

t

Heading north again. Passed into Mississippi a little before 2pm. Stop over in Alabama; and NO, I don't get to go CMP. [frown]

T

Attachments

• IMG_3112.jpg
    IMG_3112.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Into Alabama. Filled up in Mississippi for the 5th time; so far 2942.5 miles, 85.85 gallons, and 34.28mpg average.

Still no CMP [angry2]

T

Attachments

• IMG_3113.jpg
    IMG_3113.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 15
Haven't seen anything for gun stores off to be highway. We will hit the Cabella's in Harrisburg, PA.

T

The hardest part about driving around the country is when you see the billboards advertising a gun show in the area that you missed last week or is coming up next week.

I like the Cabelas in PA. It's a frequent stop when we drive south to see family in Louisiana. Need to make a road trip again sometime soon to pick up stuff and plan to make CMP a stop. There was a military surplus store near the AL/GA/TN line. Last time I stopped they had a pretty good selection of quality clothes at decent prices. If you are into knives the Smoky Mountain Knife Shop is a mile or two south at the Sevierville exit in the Smokies area. Most knives you can imagine, some you can't, and some you wish you had not seen, LOL. Can't remember how long it has been since we made the drive rather than fly.

Second day en-route home. Power drive 13 hours, 710 miles, 2 meal breaks, 1 potty and fuel stop. Car loves the rolling hills on Interstate 81; elevation 400-800 feet. We averaged 38.4 mpg according to the computer through Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, and we're now in Harrisburg tonight. Plan to see the Cabellas tomorrow morning, then home by afternoon.

t

Entrance to 287 was closed off I80. We're working our way through scenic downtown Newark[puke2] to get back to the Tappan Zee.

T

Back
Top Bottom