Oldest daughter...

richc

NES Member
Finally went shooting with me. She turns 21 this month and I want her to get her LTC-A so another person in the house can legally access my collection.

She was very apprehensive. She was worried about the noise and the recoil. She was afraid of the evil guns.

I spent the first ten or fifteen minutes showing her a .22 pistol (CZ75B with .22 Kadet conversion kit). We reviewed safety rules in depth. I talked her through the different parts of the pistol and the ammo and how to load.

Then I had her stand about 10 feet away and told her I was going to shoot so she could get used to the noise. I shot twice and she was surprised it was not very loud. She walked right over to where I was shooting.

Then it became her turn to shoot. She was very nervous, and very worried it was going to kick back. After a bit of coaxing she finally pulled the trigger and realized it was not bad at all. We spent some time shooting at paper targets.

Then we broke out the .22 rifle (CZ452 with scope and bipod). At first I had her shooting at 50 feet and she found that too easy. So we switched to 100 yards and she was thrilled to be hitting the 10" steel plate. There is something about the ding noise that she enjoyed. Then she said that was too easy so I wandered out and put a bunch of the clays used in trap shooting on the berm. That was more challenging but she really enjoyed shooting them.

After a couple of mags I wandered back to the pistol area and she stayed there and shot the .22 for about 45 minutes by herself. She LIKED it!

I think she actually wants to go back. She said she'll only go back if there is no one else at the range. And she will only shoot the .22, and does not want to hear the bangs of the big rifles.

It was a great success though!

Cheers,

Rich

That's a great start! Pics?

With the bigger bore stuff (9mm-45acp) I do a demo to show them the pistol is not going to fly away: I load one round (only one) and fire the pistol holding it with just my thumb and forefinger (aim isn't too good that way, just make sure you're on the back stop). Then they see the gun is not going to magically fly away like in the movies. (Try this by yourself first to make sure you can do it with your pistol/caliber and don't send the gun flying in front of the newbie you just told the kick isn't so bad.)

That's the best thing that's happened today!!

Awesome!! [cheers]

Just make sure you keep Rob87, Turbocharged and Evan9201 away from her. They're of like age and horn dogs.

I'm pretty sure (read positive) they don't like women, but just in case, I'm giving you a heads up.

[party2] awesome!

lucky to have a father with a nice piece like a CZ here in MA, too!

I really like the CZ75B. And the .22 conversion kit works really well. It is accurate, never jams with the right ammo and it just feels good in my hand. The build quality is amazing. The Sig conversion for my 226 just is not of the same quality and reliability.

On the downside it is a bit difficult to pull the slide back, as you don't pull back the whole slide, but the bottom half of it. So you have to pinch the bottom back half of the slide and pull it straight back. And taking it apart is more difficult than a Sig. It is doable, it just requires a bit more effort and coordination. You've gotta pull the slide back about 3/8 of an inch and hold it there to push out the disassembly pin.

I got lucky. I picked it up from another member at the club. He'd had it for over ten years and only shot 150 rounds through it. Time to clean out the safe. Actually I bought it from Derek's buddy Payton.

I'm a big fan of CZ! Hogue grips rock on it too.

Rich

Just make sure you keep Rob87, Turbocharged and Evan9201 away from her. They're of like age and horn dogs.

I'm pretty sure (read positive) they don't like women, but just in case, I'm giving you a heads up.

I think ChetD already put his dibs in... sorry guys!

She's a great kid. She'll be a senior at Providence College this fall and is already trying to find a way to go to grad school to get her masters degree in counseling. Providence College has a graduate assistants program where the kids work 20 hours a week and then get a masters almost free of charge. They pay crap but the education is free.

She starts work Monday as a nanny for a local family. Actually they are the grandkids of a former NE Patriots player, and the family has a family sports camp they run in the summer. The daughter of the Pats player is the kid's Mom and she runs the athletic programs. The kids are 1 and 3 years old so she will have her hands full! I suspect she'll be glad when the gig is over, but they pay very well.

Cheers,

Rich

I’m 22, I’ll be glad to take your daughter to the range. Pm me if you want.

please post pixs.

[smile]

... I think she actually wants to go back. She said she'll only go back if there is no one else at the range. And she will only shoot the .22, and does not want to hear the bangs of the big rifles.

It was a great success though!

Cheers,

Rich

They say .22 is a gateway firearm. It can lead to usage of much more dangerous guns. Be careful, Rich - she's playing with fire! [laugh]

Sounds like you had a great time!

Back
Top Bottom