Ohio: Man holding Crosman air rifle in Wal*Mart shot & killed by police

StevieP

NES Member
http://dailycaller.com/2014/08/07/c...-air-rifle-that-he-might-have-planned-to-buy/

LeeCee Johnson, who has two children with Crawford and is pregnant with a third, said that she was on the phone with him while the incident unfolded.

She told the Dayton Daily News that Crawford told officers that the gun he was carrying was “not real.”

“We was just talking,” said Johnson. “He said he was at the video games playing videos and he went over there by the toy section where the toy guns were.”

“And the next thing I know, he said ‘It’s not real,’ and the police start shooting and they said ‘Get on the ground,’ but he was already on the ground because they had shot him.”

WTF?

It was an MK-177:

http://www.crosman.com/airguns/rifles/pump/30117

The stupidity on the part of the PD here is obvious but why do they have to make it a black issue. It is beyond comprehension how someone can be shot and killed for holding something he picked up from the store shelf. The person who called this in should be held partially responsible. I really hate people who stick their noses in where they don't belong.

Wow, I feel bad for the bystander that "collapsed and died" trying to get away from the gunfire. WTF?

I read this earlier. There has got to be more to it - it's so ridiculous, it almost sounds like an Onion article.

One 911 call released by Beavercreek police was from Ronald Ritchie of Riverside, who was inside Walmart. He told dispatchers at 8:21 p.m. Tuesday that he saw a man “walking around with a gun in the store.”
Ritchie, an ex-Marine, said the man was pointing a black rifle at people near the pet section and that “he’s loading it right now.” Later, he said, “He looked like he was trying to load it, I don’t know.” He then added, “He just pointed it at two children.”
Later, a person on the call can be heard yelling that he’d been shot.
Ritchie’s wife, April, told this newspaper on Wednesday that Crawford was on his cell phone and that people looked at him with disbelief as he held the rifle. The Ritchies said that some scurried in different directions and that three people went into a stock room.
April Ritchie said Crawford held his phone between his left ear and shoulder while moving the rifle around. “He just kept messing with it and I heard it clicking,” she said
Crawford was in the pets department when the police arrived, Ronald Ritchie said.

“We moved up to get a closer view, which is not a good idea, but it happened,” he said. “We were hiding behind an aisle.

After police arrived, April Ritchie said she heard officers warn Crawford. “I heard, put it down, put it down,” she said. “I heard two shots after I saw him turn. He still had the weapon in his hand.”

The Ritchies said the man with the rifle fell backwards when he was struck by the gunshots. But, he got back up and went towards the officer who shot him. That officer then tackled the man with the rifle to the ground.
“He looked like he was going to go violently,” Ronald Ritchie said. “If he would have dropped the weapon, he could have came out with his life. But, unfortunately, he didn’t.”

Doesn't sound like a sheeple witness. Sounds like someone who has veracity, and a knowledge base to understand what he was seeing.

I'd be curious to see the video as well.

I'm just a bootlicker JBT TBL apologist though.

I don't know who is right or who is wrong here. I'm not sticking up for the cops or the victim. I am just pointing out some statements that seem odd to me fromt eh two different stories linked here in previous posts.

"They believe he was killed possibly after he picked up a toy gun in the store."

“The weapon was an MK-177 (.177 caliber) BB/Pellet Rifle, manufactured by Crosman. It is known as a ‘variable pump air rifle.’”

Now I know this is not a .44 magnum but I would hardly call it a toy.

"The 911 caller’s wife said that Crawford was on the phone and that he was messing with the gun. She said that after police ordered Crawford to put down the unidentified weapon,I heard two shots after I saw him turn. He still had the weapon in his hand.

So it seems he did not comply with the officer's order to put the weapon down.

We used to drive around on our bikes with our bb guns across the handle bars or slung. But we didnt wave them around at people in public places. Sucks for everyone involved.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk Pro - typos are from the GD auto correct unless they are funny substitutions those I'll take credit for.

Wouldn't it be horrible if it comes out that the person you started the chain of events was one of those anti-gun activist who were promoting the "If I see someone open carrying, I'm gonna tell "GUN!!" and alert the police?

I saw comments stating just that on more than one forum discussing open carry

JfC what a cluster fck. Every leo is so jacked up im guessinh you just need to drop whatever it is in your hands, even if its your Johnson and hit the deck. Great state of the world we are entering into

Sent from the blind

.......and the chief stands by his officers. What a surprise. Says that they shot after he didn't comply.... Really. So he died because he didn't follow a verbal command. How about the surveillance video from the store. Let's see what really happened.

http://bearingarms.com/dayton-walmart-shooting-innocent-man-swatted-death/
“Anytime I saw people walking his way, I would get their attention,” April Ritchie said, waving her hands for the reporters to demonstrate what she did. She said at one point, a family was standing next to the man with the rifle, but didn’t notice the rifle. The man turned to look at them with a stare she described as if he was telling them, “don’t come near me.”
I dunno... if someone was following me around and whispering to other people while pointing at me, I would probably glare at them too...

I'm sure the video would be illuminating.

If you were cop responding to a "man with a gun" call, you arrive, and see someone walking around a store with this, you probably would have reacted the same way. He also refused to put it down and said something along the lines of "Why? It's a toy". How do they know it's a toy, it looks pretty damn real to me.

crossman.jpg

So, the majority of the comments have already passed judgement on the situation based off a horribly written newspaper article and a less that stellar 'update' that does not actually 'update' anything. Words escape me, oh wait, sorry, cops are bad.

Doesn't sound like a sheeple witness. Sounds like someone who has veracity, and a knowledge base to understand what he was seeing.

I'd be curious to see the video as well.

I'm just a bootlicker JBT TBL apologist though.

Perhaps, although being ex-military only gives the guy slightly more credibility to me in matters concerning firearms than if he was retired, or even current, police - which is to say not much.... it is entirely possible the only guns this guy has ever touched in his life were the ones issued to him during his time in the military.

What does sound peculiar though, is its hard to imagine that if the guy did get this air rifle from in the store that it would not have lots of packaging attached or enclosing it which would be immediately obvious. Unless he was doing something stupid...

Tragic situation, I will say this though if the cops are pointing their guns at me telling me to "Drop It" You can bet your a$$ Im dropping whatever is in my hands.

http://www.whio.com/news/news/local/beavercreek-walmart-shooting-case-it-happened/ngxw7/

more to it. sadly, the truth will never come out, unless ALL the video is released.

That article painted a better picture. Guy pulls/finds BB gun out of box and starts getting a little tactical with it. People dash for cover and maybe he fooks wit em a bit. Cops must have responded fairly quickly because his ass got surprised. After all it's just a toy gun right?

JFC I hate the direction this country is going in...

The stupidity on the part of the PD here is obvious but why do they have to make it a black issue. It is beyond comprehension how someone can be shot and killed for holding something he picked up from the store shelf. The person who called this in should be held partially responsible. I really hate people who stick their noses in where they don't belong.
Sue Wal-Mart, sue the police, and if all else fails then an eye for an eye.

If you were cop responding to a "man with a gun" call, you arrive, and see someone walking around a store with this, you probably would have reacted the same way. He also refused to put it down and said something along the lines of "Why? It's a toy". How do they know it's a toy, it looks pretty damn real to me.

View attachment 111095

0002847814136_500X500.jpg

Just in case anyone missed it.

Just to clarify. I have NO idea what went on there. I'd love to see the video cross referenced with cell audio. That would pretty much settle it for me. Some folks have inside info apparently. Also #BecauseLEO

View attachment 111095

Holy shit. I'll bet that model disappears real quick. Or ends up with an orange barrel...

Back
Top Bottom