(of the) World's Rarest Mausers

Here is an opportunity to showcase your firearm, if you are in possession of one of the World's Rarest Mausers. Feel free to add replies with pics and descriptions of yours. My example follows:

A fellow on another forum revived a thread that I began last year on an FN-M1930 Mauser with Chinese markings that I found in a rural Maine gun shop. His questions caused me to contemplate further, so I began a search.

fn30chinese_009.jpg

fn30chinese_010.jpg

fn30chinese_006.jpg

I did use the term "rarest" in the thread title, as there are few examples and very little information to be gleaned on the internet from the Chinese contract FN-M1930 (FN-30) with standard length receiver, the large and ornate Fabrique National logo, date stamped from 1938, and with the two-line FAB.NAT. D'ARMESdeGUERRE, HERSTAL BELGIQUE on the left side receiver. My best google-fu has come up with only five other references, besides my own, to this particular year and make. And I'm a pretty good googler.

I have not included book and periodical publications in my min-research effort, so please accept that my information is most certainly incomplete, and should be deemed as such. And as with all firearms, there are likely several times more examples in barns and closets, than can be confirmed and recorded in data tables - or internet threads, for that matter.

With all that prefaced:

Two examples of the 1938 stamped FN-30's are referenced as being observed in Mauser Military Rifles of the World, by Robert W.D. Ball, p.47. Both with serial numbers under 1000. Mine is clearly not in that serial number range, at 6375.

Mauser Military Rifles of the World - Robert W.D. Ball - Google Books

The other three references appear in forum posts, but without much detail, nor any pictures. The first mention is on what appears to be the defunct MilsurpArms forum, another on Calgun forums, and the last is on Gunboards. Serial number information is not available in these mentions.

2765-FN-Mauser | 19-Eastern-European
Belgian Mauser bring back - Calguns.net
FN Logo'd Mauser

And who knows if any of the references might be duplicate sightings? No way to tell, for sure. But suffice to say that possession of this particular model/year Mauser is very rarely mentioned on the web. So, unless there is any objection, I do declare the 1938 date stamped FN-30's as rare. Possibly, extremely rare.

For a side-bar, the following link is fantastic for Chinese Mauser stock brands/carvings/painted marks.

Chinese Origin Mauser Stock Engraving ID

Next, just a link that shows the FN-30 with the large logo, but not dated.

Fabrique Nationale de Herstal Mauser m1930 Chinese contract rifle - Maryland Shooters

Now, some more pics and observation of my particular gun. It's ratty. It has a Chinese bolt (not the teardrop FN bolt handle knob). I needed to drill the head off the rear action screw to gain access beneath the furniture (rear action bolt needed, BTW). Deep pitting on the receiver and chamber area will preclude me from ever daring to fire it, though the gritty bore that is pictured did clean up nicely and shows moderately sharp rifling. The Belgian proofs on both the receiver and barrel show scrubbing and re-stamping (?).

fnmauser_005.jpg

fnmauser_003.jpg

fnmauser_006.jpg

fn30chinese_001.jpg

fn30chinese_004.jpg

fn30chinese_005.jpg

fn30chinese_007.jpg

fn30chinese_008.jpg

fn30chinese_011.jpg

fn30chinese_012.jpg

fn30chinese_015.jpg

Chinese_FN_Mauser_013.JPG

Chinese_FN_Mauser_011.JPG

Chinese_FN_Mauser_010.JPG

fn_bore_001.JPG

Chinese_FN_Mauser_001.JPG

Chinese_FN_Mauser_002.JPG

Criticisms, observations, commentary, and alternate opinions concerning my declaration are very welcome here, too. I am a serious collector of many lines of firearms, but I'm an extreme Mauser novice. So, I'm open for lessons, as well. As always, thanks for looking and reading.

ALSO! Post your rare Mauser here, if you wish.

Martin,

I remember you posting this rifle before, but at the time I could not lay my hands on a book I have on Chinese Mausers. I have since found it once again, it is entitled, Arming the Dragon by Dolf L Goldsmith. It is sub-titled 'Mauser rifle production in China 1895-1950. As far as I can discover the book was only published by the author in spiral bound copies.

I have looked through the book and there is some minorly relevant information. Starting on page 3:

“Starting initially with large quantities of WW I surplus “Gewehr 98's”, Germany, Czechoslovakia, Belgium as well as other countries shipped large quantities of rifles to Chine. Modern designs such as the Mauser “Standard Modell”, the Czech Models 98/22 and VZ24 and the Belgium FN Mle 1930 followed. Czech in 1937 and 1938 alone supplied two contracts, each of 100,000 VZ24 rifles. In all, at least 600,000 and perhaps closer to a million European made Mauser rifles reached China in the period 1919-1938.”

It goes on to explain that Germany starting in 1937 decided that Japan was the better ally and once Japan attacked China in July of 1937 they decided to halt the exportation of arms from Germany to China. The continued to fulfill contracts but in 1938, they went so far, under pressure from Japan to with draw their military mission all together from China. In April of 1938, Germany ceased all arm shipments to China. Belgium was not invaded by Germany until May of 1940.

Based on this information, it would appear that 1938 was the last year of importation of the FN Model 1930 making your rifle one of the last to be imported. It does not explain why, if Belgium was not invaded until 1940, FN rifles did not continue being sent to China. I can guess that perhaps the middle men for the FN 1930 Mauser Rifles were German and the rifles were not being directly sent in from Belgium handlers. Once Germany stopped the arms shipments in 1938, the Chinese lost their contacts with their source for those rifles. But that is just a guess.

The book goes on to explain that once Japan invaded China in 1937 they soon over ran all the arsenals China had set up to make their own copies of Mauser rifles including the FN 30. However, China had enough fore thought to move all the equipment further inland before Japan could get their hands on it. However it took a while to set up the new factories and equipment so for the first year or so of the war, China was left with nothing bu the European Mausers they had imported. This leads me to think that your FN 38 was imported in just the nick of time and was most likely put right to use as they were short of rifles.

How did the gun make its way to a rural Maine gun shop? (How often have we asked ourselves that question?). Was it a war trophy from China to Japan and then an American doing occupation duty in Japan brought it home as his trophy? Who knows but it is fun to think about it.

The book mainly focuses on Chinese made Mauser copies so there is not much else of any use in it. Hope that helps a little.

Niner.

Outstanding. Thank you for taking the time to type all of that, Niner.

Though there are no real specifics on the particular model, the summary puts a great perspective on the presence, politics and timelines of both European and Chinese production Mausers in the early years of WWII.

Thanks, all. And I am still hoping to entice some Mauser collectors to post their less common specimens. Please post 'em if you got 'em!

So...

The Mauser itself is not rare. Its a 1901 Swede Carl Gustafs M96, with non-matching bolt parts. But its last configuration, as a war-time M41 Sniper (not post-war M41B), sets it apart. The AGA m/42 optic is one of only thirty-nine recorded to remain in collections. Yet, unlike my extremely rare $175 FN-30 pictured above (one of five), this Swede Sniper would likely tip the scales past the $2500 mark. Go figure!

Anyway, some pics. And thanks for looking.

swede_range_004.JPG

m41_sniper_002.jpg

m41_sniper_004.jpg

m41_sniper_003.jpg

m41_sniper_005.jpg

m41_sniper_006.jpg

m41_sniper_001.jpg

I've hesitated, as the rifle itself - a Gew98M - is not rare in and of itself, but has several rare characteristics.

I had a lot of help teasing out it's historical aspects when I got it in December of '10.

1. 1916 Gew98 made by V. Chr. Schilling, a Suhl contract rifle, one of the rarest manufacturers in WWI.
2. The rifle was officially inventoried after WWI with the 1920 property stamp.
3. The rifle was rearsenaled c. 1936 by HZa Spandau (SwWW and SU58) with a modern tangent sight and K98k rear band.
4. The rifle was issued to the Bahnschutz, the German Railway Police, who branded the piece with their mark - an entwined BS - VERY uncommon to find.
5. Rifle is a bolt MM save the front band and trigger screws, which while not matching are timed perfectly and are probably from the rebuild. The rifle is an historical time capsule, unaltered since its rebuild (general patina, seized parts, storage dust and cosmoline, etc). The 3rd re-use of a beech stock and other characteristics shed some light into Germany's rearmament efforts prior to WWII when there were not enough K98k's being produced.

039.jpg

008.jpg

005.jpg

004.jpg

002f.jpg

009.jpg

008.jpg

045a.jpg

009a.jpg

MS

Last edited:
I will play too. :) Although it is not as rare as the ones above.

DOT Czech made Kriegsmodel with a receiver date of 1944 and an a prefix but assembled with in the last months before the factory was over run by the Russians in early 1945. How it came over to the Western Front to be brought home by a GI will remain a mystery.

All matching and exactly as it should be for a very late war Kriegsmodel.

View attachment 59512View attachment 59520View attachment 59519View attachment 59518View attachment 59517View attachment 59516View attachment 59515View attachment 59514View attachment 59513View attachment 59521

17993a is a little earlier than my 37762a, although yours retains its original Kriegsmodel configuration (lucky you!). Mine dates to February of '45, and I'd put yours to late January of '45.

MS

006.jpg

Last edited:
17993a is a little earlier than my 37762a, although yours retains its original Kriegsmodel configuration (lucky you!). Mine dates to February of '45, and I'd put yours to late January of '45.

MS

006.jpg

Thanks for the info I could not remember for sure. I think, if I remember right, the factory was over run in April. Any idea why these were sent west and not east considering the proximity of the eastern front at that time?

All I can think of is rifles were sent to both fronts as needed. I assume they would go west more often as the Russians got closer in the east.

Mine bears marks of post war service; further stamped serials, semi-kriegs stock, added swivels to keel and welded to rear band, EP markings on trigger, and a WaA37 bolt mismatch. Stock is unmarked with a non-specific WaA

001.jpg

010.jpg

009-1.jpg

013.jpg

Picture027.jpg

MS

Last edited:
My next offering

Very few of these escaped caliber conversions to 45/70, and this one is an original that is not cut down from a full length M71/84 model. It is of the first true Mauser design, along with the Model 1871 infantry length rifle, patented in 1871. Bolt is not matched, but I'll take it in this configuration anyway. A rare bird, and no import marks.

K.Mod.71 single shot Mauser Cavalry Carbine in 11 X 60mm.

71_K_Mod_001.jpg

71_K_Mod_010.jpg

71_K_Mod_005.jpg

71_K_Mod_006.jpg

71_K_Mod_007.jpg

71_K_Mod_008.jpg

71_K_Mod_015.jpg

71_K_Mod_016.jpg

71_K_Mod_013.jpg

71_K_Mod_014.jpg

71_K_Mod_011.jpg

71_K_Mod_004.jpg

Check out the size of the mouth on that sucker! Built in 1876. Entered into service in 1877.

This is a short Cavalry version Mauser that was initially commissioned for Frederick Wilhelm (FW) of Prussia at the factory of Österreichische Waffenfabriksgesellschaft, or what is now Steyr. The unit numbers (3.G.U.2.136) the 3d (Prussian) Garde-Ulan (Regiment), 2d squadron, weapon number 136 in squadron. Ulan (sometimes Uhlan) = lancer. Regiment raised 1860.

The receiver and bolt were initially in the white. The barrel and other metal were originally blued, but age, wear and patina have taken away all but what little remains under the stock line. When used by mounted troops, the gun was slipped into a saddle bucket and was secured to the horse and rider with a sash which connected to the front saddle ring. When used by ground/artillery/support troops, the rear swivel was also utilized with a typical sling. A few examples have only the front saddle ring provision, mine has both front and rear.

The 11X60 black powder cartridge only traveled at about 850fps, so it had to be BIG to be effective in a single shot offering. One of my coolest and rarest, for sure. Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
My last offering is generally a model that is labeled as an uncommon find. It's the Argentine Model 1891 Cavalry Carbine, in 7.65X53, rearsenal matched and non-import marked. But it's a bit of a stumper for a couple of reasons.

1. Lacks any model stamps
2. The crest is not usual

Not really sure that it fits the category of the world's rarest Mausers, but it is one of my four less than usual fares. And, I have yet to see another like it.

First, some pics. It's an interesting stock, with tiger stripes showing from some angles, and not readily visible from other angles. Missing its rear saddle ring, and never fitted with a front sling swivel. Bluing is less than 20%, but the patina helps.

Argen_Mauser_91_001.jpg

Argen_Mauser_91_002.jpg

Argen_Mauser_91_004.jpg

Argen_Mauser_91_005.jpg

Argen_Mauser_91_006.jpg

Argen_Mauser_91_007.jpg

Argen_Mauser_91_008.jpg

Argen_Mauser_91_014.jpg

Argen_Mauser_91_015.jpg

Argen_Mauser_91_017.jpg

Argen_Mauser_91_018.jpg

Argen_Mauser_91_019.jpg

Argen_Mauser_91_011.jpg

Argen_Mauser_91_010.jpg

This gun received some very interesting feedback regarding the unusual receiver and crest when I first presented it on Gunboards, a couple of years back.

1891 Argentine Cavalry Carbine - Pics

The model identification, "MAUSER MODELO ARGENTINO 1891", is completely missing from the left side of the receiver. For lack of any other supporting examples, I would need to defer to the explanation given by cello1988 in the thread link above. It may have been a partially marked receiver for arsenal repair purposes. The differing serial font on the receiver might support that observation.

Then there's the crest. It does not resemble any other M1891 Carbine or Long Gun crest, nor any 1909 rebuild crest. And nowhere on the gun does the AG Shield (Argentine arsenal rebuild) appear. Oddball, at the very least. But maybe more might be revealed following this showing.

Argen_Mauser_91_009.jpg

arg_crest_001.jpg

Mama always told me not to look into the eyes of the sun...
-by, Bruce Springsteen, then re-written by Manfred Mann

But you need to look at the eyes of the crest to appreciate this offering. Wish I could find another Argentine crest with the same eye configuration, but I can't. Again, thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom